New Apple UK 'Get a Mac' Ads

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
Hilarius - I don't mind the UK Mac ads but there are virtually the same as the US ads. Whilst I am a bit tired of them I do anticipate more as they make me chuckle.

This one really made me laugh, the character of excel was pretty funny although there was not really anything that new in the message that you can use the same applications.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I like them. They're more amusing and informative than the US ads.
Agreed. Definitely more amusing and definitely more informative... and definitely less Justin Long............... plus english accents. Four advantages all-around.

And of course MS Word is a lady! How else would I be able to woo her into creating my document magic which continues to amaze my entire department? I have skills with the lady-types, what can I say?

I'm still try to get into Excel's pants, but he's a stubborn fellow.

:D

-Clive

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Funny ad but ms do apple a favour by supplying office to its customers!

If they piss ms off too much it wont work out well for us!

hdasmith

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2006
Newcastle upon Tyne
There's been really bad press over hear about those adverts. In Britain, it's considered very bad form to openly name your competitors in an advert. It hasn't done the actors any favours either.

That one I do think is quite clever, and makes a point that's not very well known; that Mac users do have MS Office (and by MS's own admition, it's better than the Windows version).

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
Was that iWorks 06 jumping up and down in the background? Ow no sorry a bit of dust on the screen!

Shame they don't spend that time and money showing the "wow" of Mac OS X (you have to say Apple Macintosh in the UK) and iLife - that would really win friend and influence people!

ukmaestro

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2006
Huddersfield, UK
I used to really hate the UK version of the Mac ads, and to this day I don't really get the Peep Show programme that those guys are in. But I am increasingly loving them more and more, it seems the Californian mindset is progressively working out our often quirky british humour! 'Magic', 'Office Posse', 'Pie Chart' (The use of the word 'Shenanigans' was enough for me to love it), 'Network' are very good indeed. And it was very cool to see a few of the adverts blown up when I've been to the cinema recently. I've never seen them yet on any UK channels yet though?

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
i guess i'm a weird american and love british humor but these are much better than the us versions....

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
When I go to the cinema and see 2 of the adverts, its usually 'Pie Chart' and 'virus' that are shown... before and after the advert for Mitchell and Webbs film coming out.

For some reason, British people seem quite unsettled about these Mac Ads. People I know slam me for owning macs, and when these UK ads came out over Myspace, one friend wrote a bulletin saying

"I hate these adverts. Apple saying, we're better than them... but we do the same.. buy us instead. Sorry, but thats bad marketing."

He may have a point.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
The UK Mac guy seems too smug. The US's one has just enough for me but the UK Mac always has his hands in his pockets and has very little facial expressions... always having a "mightier than thou" expression. Plus the US PC guy is supposed to be nerdy and US's Mac is supposed to be the cool guy at the bar, the UK Mac would be the guy I'd avoid and rather chat with PC.

While I like US's PC more than the US's Mac (he's funnier, and he's on the Daily Show :)), I like the UK's PC even more so over the UK Mac.

Jeez, I hope that made sense.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
I was talking to my dad about the casting of mitchell and webb at the weekend saying how the mac comes of as smug, the thing is the adverts havn't backfired, it hink people just think they have because they are quite pioneering in terms of UK TV advertising, in so far as the aforementioned competition naming.

It hasn't damaged the actors at all, if anything it has raised thier profile, more people are watching thier show (peep show) this series than before.

They were picked with the peep show charectors in mind almost, the laid back 'cool' one and the stuffy one, its completly deliberate that the mac comes of as smug, its purposly smug to replicate mac owners!

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
"I hate these adverts. Apple saying, we're better than them... but we do the same.. buy us instead. Sorry, but thats bad marketing."
Isn't it 'we're better than them', but 'we do some of the same stuff anyway, just to keep you happy'?

And when was the last time you saw MS advertise Office for PC?

There's been really bad press over hear about those adverts. In Britain, it's considered very bad form to openly name your competitors in an advert. It hasn't done the actors any favours either.
1.) Er, since when?
2.) Hasn't done Mitchell and Webb any favours - er, what?

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
With everyone bitching about the UK ads and how horribly offended the Brits are, does anyone have any concrete figures that shows these ads have had any effect, positive or negative?

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.