Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new Apple Watch Series 4 ad named "Flight" that promotes the "freedom of cellular."

Directed by Jonathan Glazer, the one-minute spot shows a woman running on a windy day when a gust suddenly elevates her into the clouds, where she dances freely in the air before falling back into a lake surrounded by mountains. She then receives but declines a call on her Apple Watch Series 4.

Glazer, an award-winning British director, worked with World Champion air dancer Inka Tiitto to choreograph the performance and bring to life the feeling of freedom and weightless movement, according to Campaign.

The ad will premiere during the 2019 BRIT Awards tonight in the United Kingdom.

Article Link: New Apple Watch Series 4 Ad Promotes the 'Freedom of Cellular'

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Here is my Qualm:

I actually could justify using LTE with the Apple Watch, however, I can’t justify the $15 it will cost me additionally on my carrier bill month with the added fee of $10 and taxes, and to me, that’s more than I’m willing to spend just for the sake of having some notifications and other features. I really would like to see Apple and the carriers corroborate to implement some type of plan that would be more attractive to the user.

If you think about how expensive cellular monthly bills are already, and then you add another $12 to $13-ish on top of that, that’s not very attractive for something that somebody may infrequently use with the LTE function. I know it has its advantages for taking a call and leaving your phone behind, or streaming your music to your AirPods, etc. but I still wonder if the consumer wants to spend this type of money for something that they may not rely on as much as they think. And I think the additional cost can be offputting to want to take advantage of the LTE capability.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I think Apple is setting up their own extended universe akin to Marvel’s. In the AirPods ad, we had the guy who could dance on walls, the HomePod ad had a woman who could shift space and duplicate herself, and now we have a flying chick. I can’t wait for the next installment!

CYGYSBH.gif

Last edited:

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Here is my Qualm:

I actually could justify using LTE with the Apple Watch, however, I can’t justify the $15 it will cost me additionally on my carrier bill month with the added fee of $10 and taxes, and to me, that’s more than I’m willing to spend just for the sake of having some notifications and other features. I really would like to see Apple and the carriers corroborate to implement some type of plan that would be more attractive to the user.

If you think about how expensive cellular monthly bills are already, and then you add another $12 to $13-ish on top of that, that’s not very attractive for something that somebody may infrequently use with the LTE function. I know it has its advantages for taking a call and leaving your phone behind, or streaming your music to your AirPods, etc. but I still wonder if the consumer wants to spend this type of money for something that they may not rely on as much as they think. And I think the additional cost can be offputting to want to take advantage of the LTE capability.

They’ll probably come up with the same prepaid model they have for tablets / cellular modems for laptops i.e. pay this much and have this much data available for a week / month.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I think Apple is setting up their own extended universe akin to Marvel’s. In the AirPods ad, we had the guy who could dance on walls, the HomePod ad had a woman who could shift space and duplicate herself, and now we have a flying chick. I can’t wait for the next installment!

I think every Apple user is somewhat an X-man (or woman), ha ha, me included of course. What’s the name of this super-ability when you can pay more than a $1000 for a smartphone?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Not going to pay extra to be able to talk via watch - i already have a phone, and when exercising nothing is so important that i have to answer to a call. If i know that i must be able to answer, i can carry my phone with me.. otherwise, the phone stays at home when im out.

Until i can replace my phone with a watch entirely, then i can get a cellular version of the watch and ditch my phone...

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Woman has a midlife crisis and falls into a deep depression.

She tries exercise (and consumerism) to help with it but is overwhelmed by feelings of fear and lack of control.

She decides to attempt suicide by drowning and for a brief time feels she has regained control.

She fails in her attempt and continues to shut out her friends who call to help her.

Weird ad.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I did like the ad, but I'm not sure what it was communicating other than I don't need my iPhone with an Apple Watch. But then the woman doesn't take the call ;) Kinda trippy video. Maybe it was her pharmacy calling ;)

Last edited:

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
My freedom in included me cancelling my cellular on my watch after my 3 month trial again.

3 times used ever without my phone.. Series 3 and series 4 use combined.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
Weird + execution is very disappointing for Apple and Glazer in 2019.
Avoiding 2 key moments of transitions (take off and landing). Average green screen,
average editing. No color correction effort (the beginning and ending could be much
more beautiful. Confusing message - freedom of cellular = NOT picking up (?).

Reactions: otternonsense

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I did like the ad, but I'm not sure what it was communicating other than I don't need my iPhone with an Apple Watch. But then the woman doesn't take the call ;) Kinda trippy video. Maybe it was her pharmacy calling ;)
They shot two different endings. They were expecting the ending where she took the call to get the best reaction from the test audience but everyone probably asked why she would take a stupid call after having a transcendent experience and ending up surrounded by amazing nature.
[doublepost=1550672778][/doublepost]
Weird + execution is very disappointing for Apple and Glazer in 2019.
Avoiding 2 key moments of transitions (take off and landing). Average green screen,
average editing. No color correction effort (the beginning and ending could be much
more beautiful. Confusing message - freedom of cellular = NOT picking up (?).
I agree the take off was lacking. I was expecting more walking on air turned into air dancing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.