New Apple Watch Series 4 Ad Promotes the 'Freedom of Cellular'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new Apple Watch Series 4 ad named "Flight" that promotes the "freedom of cellular."

Directed by Jonathan Glazer, the one-minute spot shows a woman running on a windy day when a gust suddenly elevates her into the clouds, where she dances freely in the air before falling back into a lake surrounded by mountains. She then receives but declines a call on her Apple Watch Series 4.

Glazer, an award-winning British director, worked with World Champion air dancer Inka Tiitto to choreograph the performance and bring to life the feeling of freedom and weightless movement, according to Campaign.

The ad will premiere during the 2019 BRIT Awards tonight in the United Kingdom.

Article Link: New Apple Watch Series 4 Ad Promotes the 'Freedom of Cellular'

2. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I wish my carrier would give me the freedom. Maybe in September.

3. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

4. otternonsense, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

I know advertising is meant to be aspirational, but damn.

All of that because she jogs without her iPhone in her pocket?

5. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

6. nvmls, Feb 20, 2019

nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

7. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

And only EE and Vodafone customers can take advantage of it in the UK...

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Here is my Qualm:

I actually could justify using LTE with the Apple Watch, however, I can’t justify the $15 it will cost me additionally on my carrier bill month with the added fee of $10 and taxes, and to me, that’s more than I’m willing to spend just for the sake of having some notifications and other features. I really would like to see Apple and the carriers corroborate to implement some type of plan that would be more attractive to the user.

If you think about how expensive cellular monthly bills are already, and then you add another $12 to $13-ish on top of that, that’s not very attractive for something that somebody may infrequently use with the LTE function. I know it has its advantages for taking a call and leaving your phone behind, or streaming your music to your AirPods, etc. but I still wonder if the consumer wants to spend this type of money for something that they may not rely on as much as they think. And I think the additional cost can be offputting to want to take advantage of the LTE capability.

9. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

I would say "If only Apple would portray the real world", but the last time they tried, they had a hipster child with a £800 iPad asking what a computer was...

10. AngerDanger, Feb 20, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I think Apple is setting up their own extended universe akin to Marvel’s. In the AirPods ad, we had the guy who could dance on walls, the HomePod ad had a woman who could shift space and duplicate herself, and now we have a flying chick. I can’t wait for the next installment!

[​IMG]

11. cyberlocke macrumors regular

cyberlocke

Did I see that right? Was it touting the freedom to not accept calls—calls that she's paying ~$10/month to receive?

12. unclemax macrumors regular

They’ll probably come up with the same prepaid model they have for tablets / cellular modems for laptops i.e. pay this much and have this much data available for a week / month.

13. badatusernames macrumors member

badatusernames

Wish my carrier would support this but alas I don't live in a 'developed' country.

14. unclemax macrumors regular

I think every Apple user is somewhat an X-man (or woman), ha ha, me included of course. What’s the name of this super-ability when you can pay more than a $1000 for a smartphone?

15. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I too would probably reject a call from work if I were just picked up off a mountain by the wind, tossed around like a plastic bag, and thrown into a lake. Gotta take a few minutes to absorb all that.

16. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Woohoo, freedom of cellular! Still requires an iPhone to set up and pair to. Maybe watchOS 6 will make the Apple Watch fully independent, or maybe it will require a Series 5 Watch to do it.

17. Malcster macrumors 6502a

The Series 4 is right up there with AirPods for me as one of the best products they've made in a long time, I leave my phone at home now when running, music streaming, exercise tracking, messaging and making/taking calls on the move is a breeze with it.

18. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

Not going to pay extra to be able to talk via watch - i already have a phone, and when exercising nothing is so important that i have to answer to a call. If i know that i must be able to answer, i can carry my phone with me.. otherwise, the phone stays at home when im out.

Until i can replace my phone with a watch entirely, then i can get a cellular version of the watch and ditch my phone...

19. Khedron macrumors 6502a

Woman has a midlife crisis and falls into a deep depression.

She tries exercise (and consumerism) to help with it but is overwhelmed by feelings of fear and lack of control.

She decides to attempt suicide by drowning and for a brief time feels she has regained control.

She fails in her attempt and continues to shut out her friends who call to help her.

Weird ad.

20. macguru212 macrumors 6502

macguru212

I have a better one: The freedom of not wearing a watch because I don't really need one nor want one.

:eek::confused::rolleyes:o_O

21. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

And here I had just complimented Apple on really improving their advertising lately

22. jazz1, Feb 20, 2019

jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I did like the ad, but I'm not sure what it was communicating other than I don't need my iPhone with an Apple Watch. But then the woman doesn't take the call ;) Kinda trippy video. Maybe it was her pharmacy calling ;)

23. ricktat macrumors 65816

My freedom in included me cancelling my cellular on my watch after my 3 month trial again.

3 times used ever without my phone.. Series 3 and series 4 use combined.

24. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Weird + execution is very disappointing for Apple and Glazer in 2019.
    Avoiding 2 key moments of transitions (take off and landing). Average green screen,
    average editing. No color correction effort (the beginning and ending could be much
    more beautiful. Confusing message - freedom of cellular = NOT picking up (?).

25. wigby macrumors 68000

They shot two different endings. They were expecting the ending where she took the call to get the best reaction from the test audience but everyone probably asked why she would take a stupid call after having a transcendent experience and ending up surrounded by amazing nature.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2019 ---
    I agree the take off was lacking. I was expecting more walking on air turned into air dancing.