Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the latest version of your ultra watch burning your skin question mark

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchme1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
The new Apple Watch Ultra is burning my skin as well and it's gotten quite severe with a red welt and a black sore that appearing… I will be seeking a full refund maybe with damages also, this is horrible… And the coup de grace is that when you're in sleep mode Focus and do not disturb and your battery goes low at 3 AM in the morning the watch decides it's a higher priority to wake you up to tell you you have a low battery then let you have a good night sleep these two things are making my thousand dollar watch Untenable and unusable

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The new Apple Watch Ultra is burning my skin as well and it's gotten quite severe with a red welt and a black sore that appearing… I will be seeking a full refund maybe with damages also, this is horrible… And the coup de grace is that when you're in sleep mode Focus and do not disturb and your battery goes low at 3 AM in the morning the watch decides it's a higher priority to wake you up to tell you you have a low battery then let you have a good night sleep these two things are making my thousand dollar watch Untenable and unusable
Nonsense, AW does not burn skin. It is likely a rash… there are plenty posts about this and it always boils down to rash or dirt…

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I have this same problem with watches. It’s worse with the heart rate smart watches like the Apple Watch since I wear them tighter on my skin. I haven’t been able to find an Apple Watch that didn’t do this to my skin.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
1. Lasers are lights. Lights don't burn.
2. If it's an electrical burn, there's going to be a burn mark elsewhere on your body where the electricity left. There's not enough electricity to burn a person in an Apple Watch.
It’s due to contact and pressure. Overtime it creates redness and get more irritated. It’s true that it’s not an actual burn.

Simple Search

Last edited:

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
And the coup de grace is that when you're in sleep mode Focus and do not disturb and your battery goes low at 3 AM in the morning the watch decides it's a higher priority to wake you up to tell you you have a low battery then let you have a good night sleep
I guess this comes down to when people are using the watch as an alarm clock. Would you rather be wakened up to know your alarm clock is running out of battery power or would you rather sleep in because the alarm didn't go off?

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

You lost me at “maybe with damages”. Pathetic.

Rather than bitching on here why don’t you just send the watch back and forget about it. There are other isolated reports of the exact same thing and you just have to deal with it and move on.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Sounds like an allergy to the metal rather than a burn.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Return it, seems defective.

I have had one since December and do not have this problem.

Reactions: fatTribble

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
First people don't know where to put their money because they have nothing to do (lost meaning). Apple offers the Apple Watch as a solution. Then it's worn on the wrist like an ankle monitor, just to track statistics of activities - activities that the watch actually disturbs enjoying. Then come physical symptoms. Throw away those watches and enjoy life without unnecessary gadgets.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
First people don't know where to put their money because they have nothing to do (lost meaning). Apple offers the Apple Watch as a solution. Then it's worn on the wrist like an ankle monitor, just to track statistics of activities - activities that the watch actually disturbs enjoying. Then come physical symptoms. Throw away those watches and enjoy life without unnecessary gadgets.
Ah, yeah, and do not forget to stay on the trees. Nothing worth down there to climb down. :)

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
This has been discussed before. It’s not that particular watch that is causing this, it’s likely a combination of your skin and having something pressing on your skin for too long. It is why nurses turn patients on their sides to avoid bed sores.

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Before the Apple Watch, I had the Fitbit Surge, which caused a nasty skin rash. It was bad enough that the skin started to break out into a sore. I complained, and they agreed it was the watch and refunded. Many had the same issue. But of course, many didn't.

Although it's not been a problem with the AW for me, I have seen others with a similar issue, some much worse than others. What helped many was using a more breathable band. One girl in the office did that, and the rash went away quickly, even though the rash was right under the watch.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Good luck OP. Probably you need a better doctor but regularly cleaning the watch and wrist may help. You can also try a different strap in case it’s an allergy to the strap you’re using now.

I give mine a clean every week or so since I exercise with it. Probably overkill but then I’ve never had any issue with any watch anyway.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1. Lasers are lights. Lights don't burn.
2. If it's an electrical burn, there's going to be a burn mark elsewhere on your body where the electricity left. There's not enough electricity to burn a person in an Apple Watch.
1. All sorts of wrong. Powerful lasers can punch holes through metal. Buy a PAR64 lamp (not LED) and turn it on and let's see how long you can keep your hand on top of it.

2. Agreed, not enough amperage to do anything, nor are you touching any electrical contacts anywhere on the watch.

My guess is it is an allergic skin reaction to the watch band or whatever the watch is made of or you have some foreign substance on the watch that is causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.