Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the latest version of your ultra watch burning your skin question mark

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
1. All sorts of wrong. Powerful lasers can punch holes through metal. Buy a PAR64 lamp (not LED) and turn it on and let's see how long you can keep your hand on top of it.

2. Agreed, not enough amperage to do anything, nor are you touching any electrical contacts anywhere on the watch.

My guess is it is an allergic skin reaction to the watch band or whatever the watch is made of or you have some foreign substance on the watch that is causing it.
Yeah, I’ve been wearing an Apple Watch for years. It’s funny how people make these broad obviously silly statements like “lights don’t burn” because there are any number of examples of light sources that can burn people, including lasers which can down aircraft. Those however are orders of magnitude more powerful than anything that can fit in a watch.

I think the OP is obviously having some kind of reaction, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility that the watch has some kind of defect, perhaps with the battery, that is causing it to overheat. Easily verifiable: is the watch hot to the touch? If not, it’s probably not burning you. If it is, go directly back to where you got it immediately and return it, lithium battery fires are no joke. I can’t imagine a defect that would cause the light sources to “pew pew!” Laser blast the skin.

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
don't listen to all these naysayers.. true the apple watch doesn't "burn" .. but I had the same issue, I washed my wrists regularly, and after about a month I had a red, what almost looked like flaky dry skin just where the sensor was. couldn't be caused by dirt, I regularly took off the watch multiple times per day and washed my wrist and wiped down the watch where it contacts the skin. I've owned the apple watch 4 and 5 and never had any issues.. i have no metal allergies , plus i think they market that its surgical stainless,..so to test my theory that it's indeed light irritation I switched wrists. after about 2 weeks I began having the same red dot appear.. so I got rid of it. sold on swappa

the watch is definitely destroying your skin! get rid of it.
SmartSelect_20240316_144021_Samsung Internet.jpg

posted my sale so you don't think I'm full of BS..

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
don't listen to all these naysayers.. true the apple watch doesn't "burn" .. but I had the same issue, I washed my wrists regularly, and after about a month I had a red, what almost looked like flaky dry skin just where the sensor was. couldn't be caused by dirt, I regularly took off the watch multiple times per day and washed my wrist and wiped down the watch where it contacts the skin. I've owned the apple watch 4 and 5 and never had any issues.. i have no metal allergies , plus i think they market that its surgical stainless,..so to test my theory that it's indeed light irritation I switched wrists. after about 2 weeks I began having the same red dot appear.. so I got rid of it. sold on swappa

View attachment 2359850
That’s still not evidence of “light irritation.” I think you’re allergic to whatever metal or coating they’re using. Perfectly valid reason to get rid of it.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Again again again again again … sigh ...

It’s contact dermatitis.

It’s real. It’s painful.

It’s not caused by any active component of the watch. Not by the sensors, not by the battery, not by the cellular nor WiFi radios, not by the circuitry, not by anything. Period, full stop, with as much confidence as the facts that things fall down and the Sun rises in the East.

Most commonly it’s the moist environment between the watch and the skin that creates a conducive environment for the bacteria that’s already everywhere. For this (again, the most common) case, the solution is to wash the watch and band in the sink with warm soapy water at least a few times a week, and to apply the thinnest possible schmear of over-the-counter antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin) around your wrist before putting the watch back on.

Much less common but still not unusual is an allergic reaction to some sort of substance you regularly come into contact with — with soaps containing sulfides and various lotions / perfumes being most common. Overwhelmingly, these products don’t cause any sort of reaction in people, but there are non-trivial numbers who are allergic. (Think: almost nobody is allergic to peanuts or shellfish, but, for those who actually are allergic, it’s a really big deal.) Worth noting is that it’s not uncommon for people to be just fine with most uses of these products, but extended contact when a small bit gets trapped under the watch becomes a problem.

Even more unlikely but still possible is an allergy to the materials of the watch itself.

So: start with regular cleaning plus antibiotic ointment. If it doesn’t clean up within a week, see a dermatologist.

Cheers,

b&

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
No technology or material on Apple Watch can cause this kind of reaction.

This would only occur if you're performing some behaviour that traps sweat or bacteria between your Watch and your skin, like wearing your Watch without washing it regularly and/or the watch bands, not regularly washing the area of skin that's in contact with your Watch.

Washing with water should be enough (make sure to follow Apple's guidelines). But you might need soap and warm water on your skin and the watch bands.

Another possibility, although far more unlikely, is that you're allergic to the materials on the back of your Watch or those found in your watch bands.

Stainless steel? Glass? Aluminum? I can't imagine that you're allergic to those.

A third, and even more unlikely option, is that you're using certain medical ointments/lotions or cosmetic products on your skin (soaps, deodorant, perfumes, creams, powders, etc.) that cause a reaction on your skin when trapped between your skin and your Watch.

Only you know what you do with the skin under your Watch and how clean you keep your Watch.

But I can guarantee you that no Apple Watch is emitting anything that generates heat or would under any circumstances cause what you're experiencing.

-If the battery was overheating or the lasers/light zapping you enough to cause a rash the entire Watch and your skin would literally feel like it's being cooked with high temperatures by the watch. You would not be able to tolerate keeping it on, it would be too uncomfortable.*

*The light that Watch emits doesn't have the specifications to go up to the strength that would be needed to "cook" your epidermis. So it's also just technically impossible for it to do so even if Apple had screwed up an algorithm that made it run amok with constant, highest level measurements.

The only thing in the Watch that would ever start "cooking" your skin is a faulty battery that was overheating and preparing to explode. That scenario would have you see the battery "pillowing" and the Watch display coming out. So also unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
The new Apple Watch Ultra is burning my skin as well and it's gotten quite severe with a red welt and a black sore that appearing… I will be seeking a full refund maybe with damages also, this is horrible… And the coup de grace is that when you're in sleep mode Focus and do not disturb and your battery goes low at 3 AM in the morning the watch decides it's a higher priority to wake you up to tell you you have a low battery then let you have a good night sleep these two things are making my thousand dollar watch Untenable and unusable
Nothing a good slathering of vaseline won’t fix. Apply liberally on the underside of watch!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

View attachment 2359850

posted my sale so you don't think I'm full of BS..

I’m glad you sorted the issue but that doesn’t prove it’s “light irritation”.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I used to get this when I first started sleeping with my AW on, when sleep data was introduced.

Get a fabric band, one of the solo loops, sport loop, or alpine loop, it’ll be softer and more comfortable to sleep in. On top of that, wear your watch on the other wrist when you sleep, to give your skin some time off to breathe without the watch.

Since I started doing that it hasn’t been an issue, at all.

Reactions: bricktop_at

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
While I sympathize with the OP, having to return my iPhone 15 Pro (after the update) for also running hot, and, there have been several other isolated issues, I agree that the OP could be worded better.

I believe the OP is telling the truth about getting burned though I wonder why he/she didn’t just take the watch off before it got that bad.

Return the watch. End of story.

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
Quite a bold claim. It's not destroying skin. Some peoples skin just is more sensitive to certain things.
its my own personal experience. I saw the signs and removed it. the dot took many months to fade away. I'm sure the damage would have been more permanent if I was ignorant enough to leave it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.