New Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dodgeman, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

So couple questions.
    In todays world 42mm is rather small.
    A sqaure face and 42mm has been a big hit.
    In the future do you guys see the watch being circular or a bigger face?

2. joelanthon macrumors newbie

at this point with the Apple Watch I don't think a circular watch is going to happen. I like the square face and it makes more sense for Apple to go with the square design. Im sure the face will get bigger in some way.

3. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Never say never.

4. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

It should get bigger with the S4. If so, will probably get one. Especially, if even more health features and better LTE. I would like to get into the AFIB beta testing by Stanford too.

I don't see a circular one working well for text pages.

5. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

The Samsung one are all circular.
    The health features are great. Curious to see what the s4 brings

6. Relentless Power, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is not going to be a circular Apple Watch anytime in the future. Jony Ive himself commented that a circular Apple Watch design did not make sense to him, and he is the chief designer. Apple continue on with the 38 and 42 mm square design.

7. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Or maybe a 44/46 design.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s been rumored by Ming Kuo the Apple Watch will have a 15% larger display, larger battery and additional health sensors. He Is a fairly reliable analyst and Insider.

9. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

That 15% would mske it a 48mm. Or if they are basing it on screen size the. They could have an edge to edge display and get closer to the 15% that way.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There won’t be a 48 mm display, I’m sure it’s an edge to edge increase versus an overall increase with the size the Apple Watch.

11. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Circular watches are good at one thing: displaying a circular watchface. That's it. Rectangular watches do that just as well, and can also fit widgets in the corners at the same time, plus are much better at showing various graphics, images and text. A circular display is simply more difficult to use efficiently, and a circular watchcase is likewise more difficult to fill up with components efficiently, seeing as a lot of stuff is inherently rectangular in nature, like microchips, taptic engines and most types of rechargeable lithium batteries.

First off, the 15% thing is just a rumor; it might be true, it might not. Second, it's probably more likely that the bezels shrink than the case grows; larger case means a bigger, heavier, more expensive to make watch, which doesn't appeal to everyone. Also, peoples' current wristbands will no longer fit a larger case.

12. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

They'll never be a circular AW, it is just a bad design for a smart watch interface. I don't hear people moaning about mobile phones not being similar to the traditional candlestick phone design.

Also, the form factor of the 42mm AW is massive enough already. A big screen with no case size increase would be better.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would not say a 42 mm display is massive, which really is dependent on the size of the wrist of the Apple Watch is on to begin with. If Apple increases the display size, that also in theory would increase the casing. Apple
    Is likely going to just reduce the bezels to have a more of an edge to edge display. There is no reason to add a 46 or 48 MM display, which is inherently larger than most would want in a smart watch to begin with.

14. Saurus504 macrumors member

As someone who's had the series 0 since they came out, I'm leaning towards finally upgrading with the next release. I have the 38 but would be interested in the 42. I'm not sure I'd want any bigger than that.

I also hope they don't go to a circular design. My curiosity getting the best of me would probably want to see it just to see how they would do it, but, I can't imagine texts, emails, etc working well on that.

15. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Due to Apple's design scheme I don't think a circular watch face will be coming. But I hope they do increase the screen size. It is getting a little small for today's standards.

I hope they keep the square design for years to come though, as this sorta identifies it as an Apple Watch imo.

16. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

I do not need it identified as an Apple Watch.
    Yes by today standards it is small. I was reading something on the measurements and appartently from what I read if I read it correctly it is smaller than a 42mm.
    I would like to see a 44 or 46mm and 42 can be the entry size.
    That 38mm is TINY.

17. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If anything, a larger Watch case is more likely.

A 15% larger display means higher power requirements. Where does the additional power for the larger display come from? Not to mention power and space for more sensors. Apple needs a larger Watch case for a larger battery.

Look at the tricks Apple had to pull on iPhone X to maintain battery life: L-shaped battery and stacked logic board. The same thing isn't possible on Watch as every mm is already used.

I'm not sure why some people are obsessed about Watch strap compatibility. Does anyone actually believe Apple will let a piece of rubber dictate the form factor of Watch? That's just crazy.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t think you’re taking into consideration how much of investment some have in bands for their Apple Watch or those who have multiple Apple Watches. I’m willing to believe that an Apple Watch owner at least has a minimum of 3 to 5 bands, some of which are considerably expensive with the leather buckles/loops, stainless steel link, ect, which one can accrue over $300.00 bands with three/four purchases.

Aside from the compatibility, then you have those watch bands that were purchased that are now completely useless.

And then when you factor in those who purchase Apple Watch OEM bands, they are considerably expensive, which the cheapest band starts at $50.00.

I’m not trying to be overly particular, but the bands are not “Rubber”, they are made of flueroastamer, completely different type of material. But I understand your point.

We know Apple traditionally is not afraid to make the necessary changes as they have with migrating from the 30 pin to lightning, deleting the 3.5 mm Jack, reducing ports on the MacBook, etc. But Apple also knows they have a very small Monopoly with the watchbands and the generated revenue is fairly substantial compared to the manufacturing cost ratio. Is it possible they will change the band port in the future? Absolutely. Are they going to change the band port for the Series 4? No.

19. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

Yet my wife thinks it’s too big and I’m sure she’s not alone I don’t think they will make the entry any larger.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The size and shape are good for me. Do not want to see the AW get much bigger. Hope Apple makes the electronics smaller so we can have a bigger battery. That with micro LED screens one day would be nice.

21. justiny Contributor

justiny

22. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

Clearly it’s possible that Apple will change the band mechanism at some point but there’ll need to be a very good reason to do it. Like many, I have quite a few straps, mostly Apple ones; before upgrading to S3, I think I’d spent more on straps than on my original watch. If those straps weren’t compatible with the next iteration of the watch then it’d take a lot to get me to upgrade. And if and when I did upgrade I’d be a one strap person. I suspect there are a lot of people who’d be similarly reluctant to upgrade and a pretty decent revenue stream would dry up as people stopped buying new straps.

23. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The reality of the situation is most consumers are not buying $50 bands. The consumers in this MacRumors forum are not typical. Sure, there are crazy people with drawers full of OEM bands. I would be surprised if the average band purchase exceeds $50.

Watch bands are consumable items. I don't think Apple is expecting people to stock up on bands and use it for more than a couple generations of Watches.

upload_2018-4-17_11-24-34.png

upload_2018-4-17_11-32-1.png

Assuming Apple makes the Watch case 15% larger in any dimension, I would be surprised if they let a form factor change be constrained by a band port.

If Apple updates the band port, are consumers going to stop buying bands as a protest? I doubt it. We're in the growth phase of Apple Watch where demonstrating use-cases and new sensors are more important than maintaining backwards compatibility.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Understand there are options for third-party bands, but it’s not unreasonable either to at least expect the average consumer who has an Apple Watch has a minimum of at least two or three bands, which likely two of those are from Apple. Regardless if somebody owns OEM or third-party, it’s still money that would be wasted if the band port were to change with the next version of the Apple Watch, only because the consumer sees it as something that will now be useless that is not interchangeable.

Apple refreshes their bands approximately twice a year, mainly the sport bands, Sport Loop‘s and Nylon bands, because they are the cheapest to manufacture and likely generate the most profit. That said, Apple wants those pants to sell the highest, because they are the most affordable their lineup and popular. Watch bands are consumables, but over the course of Apple Watch, collections start to grow.

Apple is not changing the band port for the Series 4. That’s not even a question. They just updated their bands last month, which wouldn’t make sense if they were about introduce new Apple Watch in the next five months. Again, I’m not saying they can’t change the band Port, because I gave you examples of how they made the transition from 30 pin to lightning, deleted the 3.5 mm Jack, etc., but I don’t believe it will be changed for the next version of the Apple Watch.

It won’t stop consumers in purchasing the next version the Apple Watch, but it doesn’t mean some will be disgruntled either. Did the 3.5 mm Jack ultimately stop iPhone owners from upgrading to the iPhone 7 and above with the missing 3.5 MM Jack? No. But it still is an inconvenience at minimum, but I also understand that technology isn’t always convenient when they move forward with certain designs and implementation to make necessary changes with the addition of health sensors, larger Battery, ect.

But we also don’t know that a slightly tweaked casing including new health sensors and other features, doesn’t mean that the band port _has_ to change, it’s just a matter if they will change it if absolutely calls for it.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

No one here knows, even though some act like it. Apple may or may not change the device so that the old bands no longer fit.

They did get rid of the phone jack so . . . .

Only time will tell.