Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjobe2513

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Humboldt County, California
This looks very familiar. Did ASUS learn nothing from Apple's mistake?

ASUS-Mini-PC-ProArt-PA90_02-e1546801564853.jpg

https://www.4kshooters.net/2019/01/09/asus-announces-new-mini-pc-proart-series-for-content-creators/
[doublepost=1547063223][/doublepost]Looks similar on the inside too.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This looks very familiar. Did ASUS learn nothing from Apple's mistake?

ASUS-Mini-PC-ProArt-PA90_02-e1546801564853.jpg

https://www.4kshooters.net/2019/01/09/asus-announces-new-mini-pc-proart-series-for-content-creators/
[doublepost=1547063223][/doublepost]Looks similar on the inside too.

They have lots of different product for the customers to choose (including full tower with PCIe slots), not just this one, huge difference than Apple.

In fact, IMO, Corsair One already proved this market exist. And they keep updating this line and doing well. (Corsair One has i9-9920X, 2080Ti, 960GB NVMe + 2TB HDD options, but not limited to D700 and no HDD etc.).

Also, even nMP has its own market, the biggest problem is lack of update. If Apple keep updating the nMP, I bet it still has its own fans.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I don't think they copied Apple, well, not quite. Samsung came out with a similar can design called the ArtPC and it's still available for sale. Component customization is almost unheard of. This goes beyond what Samsung did, and I think it looks slicker.

I'd like to see how this performs when pushed because it looks like it's adequately ventilated on the sides whereas Apple's or Samsung's is not.
[doublepost=1547086485][/doublepost]
Difference being Asus offers a significant range of desktop PC's, while Apple painted it's Pro customer's into a corner...

Q-6
Yes, and this isn't meant to be a pro computer, either. It's a nice AiO and it has up to an i9 processor with dual NVME hard drives paired with Intel Optane for even faster read/write than what NVME offers. I suspect they used Samsung NVMEs in this because they're the fasted in the consumer market at the moment.
[doublepost=1547086562][/doublepost]
In fact, IMO, Corsair One already proved this market exist. And they keep updating this line and doing well. (Corsair One has i9-9920X, 2080Ti, 960GB NVMe + 2TB HDD options, but not D700 and no HDD etc.).
Does Corsair actually build it or are they the last stop for a supplier who does it for them? I know Corsair does minor adjustments and implements their own config files and whatnot on their products, but I don't think they physically manufacture anything anymore.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Apples were more of a trashcan design, this one looks more like an air purifier. Hopefully, that means it flows air better than the trashcan.

2016's MSI Vortex looked like a trash can as well :)
You're right, actually. I was looking at air purifiers and humidifiers a week or two ago. I've seen some that look like that. That MSI Vortex is hideous, though. It projects a very "racer boy" look.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You're right, actually. I was looking at air purifiers and humidifiers a week or two ago. I've seen some that look like that. That MSI Vortex is hideous, though. It projects a very "racer boy" look.

Yeah, MSI new who their target market was... or did they. They don't make it any more so maybe they didn't. They still have some fugly towers though that look like some sort of teenage robotics sci-fi fantasy :)

Edit: Hey this looks sort of like the Samsung one ...

51xEOfDDekL._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: kazmac and 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah, MSI new who their target market was... or did they. They don't make it any more so maybe they didn't. They still have some fugly towers though that look like some sort of teenage robotics sci-fi fantasy :)

51xEOfDDekL._SL1000_.jpg
Yeah. As does Asus with their higher end new gen routers. The tech trickles down into more affordable and adequate enough units in a couple of years and they get encased in more respectable plastic shells. I don't see the point in the exotic shells they use. Though I like Asus routers the most out of any company. Don't think I've ever used any of their computers, though.

Who makes that one?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah. As does Asus with their higher end new gen routers. The tech trickles down into more affordable and adequate enough units in a couple of years and they get encased in more respectable plastic shells. I don't see the point in the exotic shells they use. Though I like Asus routers the most out of any company. Don't think I've ever used any of their computers, though.

Who makes that one?

Some company called Outlines. That one *is* an air purifier :)

But come on MSI, what the heck is this even supposed to be? It’s not the droid I am looking for hahaha

3f88941aa07f116128191503e4a02265.jpg

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
There's nothing inherently wrong with a cylinder design for a personal computer. Hell... you can pretty much make a computer in any size or shape.

What these PC guys are doing right is using standardized components inside: socketed CPUs, normal off-the-shelf MVNe SSDs, slotted GPUs, etc.

But what Apple did wrong was to do NONE of that. Sure, you could upgrade the RAM in a 2013 Mac Pro. But good luck finding another proprietary SSD for it. Or a matched pair of upgraded GPUs. And so on. We all know how that turned out.

So to answer the OP's question "Did ASUS learn nothing from Apple's mistake?"

I would say Asus learned exactly what NOT to do from Apple. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and h9826790

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Back in 2011 or 2012 HP had pro workstation grade AiO much like the iMac but you could open it up and do whatever you wanted with almost no limit. I'll try and find a video if possible.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Does Corsair actually build it or are they the last stop for a supplier who does it for them? I know Corsair does minor adjustments and implements their own config files and whatnot on their products, but I don't think they physically manufacture anything anymore.

So do Apple, CPU from Intel, GPU from AMD, SSD from Samsung......

AFAIK, even iPhone is not manufactured by Apple, they just design it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some of those designs, truley hurt my eyes, OMG, so ugly. The Asus' design is a mistake imo. I think the Apple trash can has received so much negative press that any design that mimics it, will instantly be associated to it. Its a mini PC w/o much expandability, and it does resemble the design cues of the Mac Pro. I agree with others, it does tend to look like an air purifier though

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
So do Apple, CPU from Intel, GPU from AMD, SSD from Samsung......

AFAIK, even iPhone is not manufactured by Apple, they just design it.
Apple isn't known for rebadging all their products. They're also not an individual internal components seller.

Even Intel relies on external suppliers giving them the parts required to manufacture their hardware. However, much like Apple, they design and set forth a plan to do just that. They're not buying processors they didn't have a hand in from suppliers and renaming them Intel processors.

Make sense?

Let me give you an example. The majority of good PSUs are made by a handful of companies that get rebranded by companies most people have heard of. Often times there may be a special request, such as better caps. But that's about it. These first party manufacturers make different levels of good. They even make terrible PSUs they sell to OEMs who need the cheapest good product to put in prebuilts. Companies like Corsair, Thermaltake, EVGA, etc. are buying already made stock and slapping their name on it and selling it as their own, not the first party.

Apple is an OEM that works with hardware partners to pick out hardware and design hardware that will work best with their tweaked OS they also develop. This is a lot different than what I outlined earlier.

PC mice are a blend of both. PC mice shells are usually designed by the company selling them. Though their internals are often made by others. There's large swaths of mice out there using the same mice sensors. Some mice may be very cheap, some may be expensive. Sometimes special switches are used for button durability. The driver software is usually independent.

Companies like Micron, Samsung, SK Hynix, et al. both design, manufacture, and distribute their hardware. Micron has Crucial for their consumer side (with Micron serving corporate interests). Companies like Patriot are just like Corsair; they slap their name on a product they had no input on. Counter to that GPUs are different. AMD or NVidia supply the GPU chips. It's up to partners to put together the final product. They just supply drivers so customers don't have to rely on these partners for upto date driver sets.

Don't get me wrong. Some of those rebadged products are excellent. But if I were going to buy a mechanical keyboard tomorrow, I wouldn't go with DAS, Corsair, MSI or others. I'd go with Filco. DAS does have a heavy hand in input and may still manufacture their hardware, but I simply don't like their products.

In short, if you were to compare Apple to Corsair, it would be akin to saying Apple buys Microsoft Surfaces, puts it in their own aluminum shell, installs their OS and sells it as something they came up with with 100% originality.

[doublepost=1547121853][/doublepost]
Some of those designs, truley hurt my eyes, OMG, so ugly. The Asus' design is a mistake imo. I think the Apple trash can has received so much negative press that any design that mimics it, will instantly be associated to it. Its a mini PC w/o much expandability, and it does resemble the design cues of the Mac Pro. I agree with others, it does tend to look like an air purifier though
To toe the line, there's a movement of system builders who love small form factor and the challenges they bring. Makes no sense to me. I prefer a large case I can set somewhere and be done with except for the twice yearly dusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Some company called Outlines. That one *is* an air purifier :)

But come on MSI, what the heck is this even supposed to be? It’s not the droid I am looking for hahaha

3f88941aa07f116128191503e4a02265.jpg
A cooler helmet for Kylo Ren?!? :D
[doublepost=1547133183][/doublepost]

51xEOfDDekL._SL1000_.jpg
I like the design of this one.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.