New Atari releases

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TimothyB, Sep 23, 2008.

1. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Missile Command:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291286162&mt=8
    (http://appstorefeed.com/apps/Missile_Command/)

Super Breakout:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291296852&mt=8
    (http://appstorefeed.com/apps/Super_Breakout/)

I think the prices are right, at $4.99, compared to Namco charing $9.99 for Pacman and such.

Missile Command looks nice. Would like to see it in action, but oddly every still the missiles, nukes, ships, explosions, are all the same animation frame and position, but just the location is changed.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

some serious 1998 textures goin on in breakout. fugly.

3. diesel macrumors 6502a

can you describe how 2 player support in missile command works?

4. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I guess this explains why they threw a b-fit over the Breakout clone that was in the app store.

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

They look like a couple of great games.

I am getting tired of reading peoples "reviews" when they have the nerve to complain about the $5 price of these games. I guess people expect everything for free.

7. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Found a video review of Missile Command:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2L_KWUNNu8

The multitouch looks sweet. And they even have a classic mode that's just like the arcade, except multitouch. The new graphics are kind of over exposed in the video and hard to see the animation, and only the first easy levels shown. I'm going to buy it now.

8. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

So far I'm liking it. The Ultra version is very nice and well paced in the first 4 levels, gets crazy fast. Never played the game much when I was young, but I noticed some strategy for extra points by taking out several nukes at once, so you might hold off if you notice some are going to be close later, and to reserve your limited ammo.

Enemies: There are some UFOs and satellites that fire, one hit to kill. Already had a larger mothership type UFO, flew low, and took many hits to destroy. I wished its explosion was bigger. There's a magenta bomb that slowly falls with no trail. Your missile explosions only push it, instead, you have to make a direct hit to destroy it. So that's just after 4 waves. There's a nice little animation of the earth when you lose.

Sound so far has been nice, and the music. When you launch the app, it will ask if you want to use the game music or iPod.

Classic mode is just as fun. Vivid colors, especially the bright blue backdrop and red missiles. Though, from the speaker, there seems to be a crackle at the last missile explosion when you complete the wave and the score count comes up.

Just now the classic mode crashed my when starting the score count after a wave. Tapping did nothing, hitting home didn't do nothing, but after 20 seconds it dropped to the home screen.

9. Rigby macrumors 601

Missile Command is a real blast (from the past :)). Played the arcade machine and the Atari 800 version a lot as a kid (man, I'm getting old :eek:). The iPhone version gets frantic very quickly. Don't think for a second that this is easier than the arcade version due to having a touch screen instead of a track ball. The smart missiles are quite a bit harder to hit than I remember it from the original. The graphics of the Ultra version are nice, but for nostalgic reasons I almost prefer the original version. :D

Now, where is Centipede/Millipede? :p

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I bought Missile Command early this morning and love it. Great game. Has different levels of ability--low, medium, high. I like the ability to play the new version or the classic. They did well with this one IMO.

11. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Yup, just bought it too. Classic very faithful to original (including sounds!) minus the trackball controls obviously and new ultra version has some very pretty graphics! Not sure I'll be going for Super Breakout though - has anyone seen any feedback on it?

12. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

They'll sell a million of each within 6 months...
    Just trying to get my bet in early

13. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I just picked up missile command, I miss the old days. I remember playing this when I was a wee tot.

14. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I do also. It is awesome that Atari is bring this to the App store.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Missile Command looks pretty awesome. I just might have to shell out the $5 for it.

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I'm not a big gamer, but this game is worth the $5 IMO. It takes a lot for me to get excited about a game and this brings back good memories.

18. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I have a feeling that the release of super breakout was the reason Atari was pushing the C&D's on the clones of the game; This is similar to C&D on tris as well...

19. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

I'd like to see Pitfall, and I used to play Aztec on my apple II.

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I liked Pitfall also. Hopefully this is a sample of more to come from Atari.

21. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Missile Command may be my next purchase. It looks very interesting.

Eric

22. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I hope activision brings back all their games... Pitfall, remember Kaboom!? and I loved their skiing game despite the super simple graphics.

23. cmegalodon macrumors newbie

cmegalodon

Missle Command ROCKS!

This is the game that was always meant to be on the iPhone!

I was a junkie on the original arcade console and love the iPhone version. It is an addictive game. The graphics are great!

Can anyone tell me a sure fire way to kill the little red bombs?

24. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I just unleash a whole slew of missiles at it, hoping one of them hits direct. It's easier on the easier difficulties, I noticed.

25. Padraic macrumors regular

Uhm... :eek::D:p

Sorry, I read that and reread it, and couldn't stop giggling...