Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Backbone One Controller Brings a Console-Like Gaming Experience to iPhone

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
If you want to buy me a console, you're going to have to show me some serious games for it.

Give me Doom Eternal, Metroid Prime 4, and Breath of the Wild 2 and I'll immediately buy it. Other AAA games will be accepted as substitutes. B+ Knock-offs and spin-offs (the best the iOS app store generally has) will not be.
Even just give us AAA games from the last couple generations. Tons of older games would work on iOS devices these days, and many people have backlogs and/or nostalgia games they want to play again.

Would work well for developers of modern AAAs too. Think Alan Wake: it would run perfectly on an iPhone 12, would get money and attention to the franchise if they were thinking about making a sequel, and would finally be a reason to game on iOS.

Right now, iOS games are just childish time wasters. There's no reason to get games on iOS, thus there's no reason to get peripherals, either.

Comment

Bluetoot-

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2020
Call me a puritan, but if you want a true console experience, buy a console. That is the point of a dedicated machine, large screen, dedicated controller, surround sound and massive game files.

No manner of plastic add ons or apps can give you a console experience on a phone.

I saw Goody Proctor playing Stadia in the woods!

As time has gone on, I’ve realized that I just don’t like to sit in front of a television anymore. I feel stuck. I like to be able to “multitask”. Wether that is a good thing or not, I don’t know, but it’s part of the reason I’m not sure I’d buy a next gen console.

Of course, I’m in the minority, but keep an eye on the younger generation. Fortnite on mobile was a very telling trend

Comment

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
This looks good to play Fortnite on. ;-) Whoops.

I do game and I do have an iPhone, but on screen controls were always too finicky for me to play the first person shooters that I like. Something like this would work great. And I can't help but think that it would give me a tremendous aiming advantage in multi-player games over folks on screen controls. Add in that my iPhone is going to give me an processor advantage over most phones, and I can see a "pay to win" advantage here. Might help make up for me being an "old guy" by gamer standards and those "old guy" reflexes.

• Haha
Reactions: ArtOfWarfare
Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Oh yeah! I forgot about that whole debacle. I was curious why nobody had refuted my saying there's no AAA titles on the platform by pointing out Fortnite.

To which I'd say... meh. I've never felt that a game that is first and foremost a multiplayer title deserved the AAA label.

===

How about Valve's games? I know those are getting pretty old now, but it'd be pretty awesome to play the four main entries in the Half Life series + Portal 1 & 2 on the go.

Comment

B4rbelith

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Even just give us AAA games from the last couple generations. Tons of older games would work on iOS devices these days, and many people have backlogs and/or nostalgia games they want to play again.

Would work well for developers of modern AAAs too. Think Alan Wake: it would run perfectly on an iPhone 12, would get money and attention to the franchise if they were thinking about making a sequel, and would finally be a reason to game on iOS.

Right now, iOS games are just childish time wasters. There's no reason to get games on iOS, thus there's no reason to get peripherals, either.
I’ll admit that it’s mostly dreck on the App Store, but there are some decent indie games like Dead Cells, Hyper Light Drifter, Stardew Valley and Bastion, as well as older games like San Andreas, Bully, KOTOR, Journey etc.
It will be interesting to see how things develop when macs switch to ARM and games are playable on every Apple platform. Maybe that will encourage more devs to make games.

Comment

Malarkey

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2007
Well there's an article on Fast Company where the author uses this to play all the games on his PC, on his iPhone XR. So it sounds like it has a lot of potential. But Apple always likes to be difficult when it comes to gaming, so they're throwing up as many roadblocks as possible once again when it comes to compatibility with the iOS App Store, apparently.

Comment

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Yet another "One" product, along with:
Palm One
Nokia 1
Capital One
OneDrive
OneNote
XBox One
Beats 1
Apple One
Google One
Cisco ONE

Have these marketing departments run out of creativity or just stopped caring? This insipid fad needs to die.

Comment

Wanted797

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I agree it does seem a lot. But on the flip side, this kind of makes your iPhone like a switch hardware wise. Throw in some more involved games and why carry a portable game console as well as a phone when it can just be a single device?
Battery. Your phone won’t last long doing it all.

Now put a battery into the back if the controller and I think we’d be onto something.

Comment

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Battery. Your phone won’t last long doing it all.

Now put a battery into the back if the controller and I think we’d be onto something.
Battery life for one. This gen of phone already has worse battery life than last gen. Not to mention "more involved games" are never going to happen for iOS beyond cheap ports. Why? Because the device has no buttons. This means that all games will have to support a touch screen control scheme even if they do offer controller support on the side.
It has pass-through charging so long gaming sessions should be possible. Either plug in or bring a battery pack.

Comment

BF1M

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2018
It has pass-through charging so long gaming sessions should be possible. Either plug in or bring a battery pack.
And now we have traveled full circle back to “not really portable/on the go”

• Disagree
Reactions: robinp
Comment

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It looks like a cheap knockoff of the Razer Kishi.

I've been using the Kishi for PS4 and Xbox One streaming. It works great.
Not sure how cheap it looks compared to the razer but did razer have their commercial on a cool farm with "real folk"?
If your answer is no then razer loses! Everyone loves a farm....

• Haha
Reactions: rjp1
Comment

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

I do game and I do have an iPhone, but on screen controls were always too finicky for me to play the first person shooters that I like. Something like this would work great. And I can't help but think that it would give me a tremendous aiming advantage in multi-player games over folks on screen controls. Add in that my iPhone is going to give me an processor advantage over most phones, and I can see a "pay to win" advantage here. Might help make up for me being an "old guy" by gamer standards and those "old guy" reflexes.
Old guy huh.... I remember playing on the original Pong machines lol.

Comment

Eorlas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
these look like iphone joycon, and having a switch i can tell you definitively for any adult hands that are medium or larger in size, they will not be comfortable for any amount of gaming. absolutely do not bother with these, especially for that price. just use an actual console's controller paired with iOS that is already compatible to get that job done

Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
If you want to buy me a console, you're going to have to show me some serious games for it.

Give me Doom Eternal, Metroid Prime 4, and Breath of the Wild 2 and I'll immediately buy it. Other AAA games will be accepted as substitutes. B+ Knock-offs and spin-offs (the best the iOS app store generally has) will not be.
Well sure, but there are a stack ton of kids who play a lot of games on iOS who would love this thing in their Christmas stockings. Sure, it's not AAA games, and may never be, but it's a portable game device that can be played in the back of the car on long trips, play them at lunch time at school, and so on.... I think they will sell well.

Comment

AdamJD

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2009
I don't need AAA titles...just MAME...Shadows of the Empire from N64...Goldeneye. :) (annnnnd...I just showed my age. 😂)

Comment

Star Brood

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
I have a "telescopic" controller that cradles my phone the same way this does. The problems I have with it are:

1) no access to my headphone jack and power connector
2) having to remove, reattach it and if I wanted portability I'd have to bring two devices with me, instead of just the one touch screen phone.

The first problem is resolved with a unit such as this, as it would seemingly integrate the charging and aux ports? Or did I misread and you can't simultaneously charge this thing and use it?

Comment

Substance90

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Call me a puritan, but if you want a true console experience, buy a console. That is the point of a dedicated machine, large screen, dedicated controller, surround sound and massive game files.

No manner of plastic add ons or apps can give you a console experience on a phone.
The postal service sends their regards. By email.

Comment

cupcakes2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010

To be fair, ALL games are time wasters.

And you’re incorrect on your iOS gaming assumption. There are plenty of excellent titles, though you do need to do some research before hand - there is plenty of crap too.

Eve is looking promising. Play Dead make some interesting stuff.
It’s not AAA console gaming, but it also can’t really ever be. Dedicated consoles have that tied up.

Lots of iOS games are great for casual gamers. This controller, whilst a tad pricey, seems to compliment that philosophy. It’s certainly a lot easier than trying to game on an iPhone using a PS or Xbox controller, and a lot less ridiculous looking on the metro, for example.

Comment

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Battery life for one. This gen of phone already has worse battery life than last gen. Not to mention "more involved games" are never going to happen for iOS beyond cheap ports. Why? Because the device has no buttons. This means that all games will have to support a touch screen control scheme even if they do offer controller support on the side.
If they were smart, they'd design a magsafe cutout in the back so you can play while charging via magsafe.

Comment

ViDeOmAnCiNi

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
AZ
Anyone know the limitations of the recording ability? Can you record an hour of gameplay and then import the video into Premiere for editing? Does it record directly to your iphone's storage? Is there a MicroSD card? How does this magic work? thx

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.