New BlackBook, what to do now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Slovig, May 24, 2008.

1. Slovig macrumors member

I walked in with a credit card, walked out with a BlackBook, and MS Office Home&Student. Only problem is, I dont know what to do now. Does anyone have a list of applications that are good to download?

THANKS!!!

2. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It all depends on what you want/need to do with it. I suggest you spend some time getting to know the apps that Apple includes. The iLife suite should have you wasting time being creative for days on end! ;)

Also, don't forget to regularly check http://www.apple.com/downloads/

4. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

You question is very vague. Most of what you need will already be there but, some good third party apps are;

Onyx
    Monolingual
    AppDelete
    Mac the Ripper
    Flip for Mac

5. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

well i highly recommend monolingual cuz you will get lots of space back =)

6. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

Quick question, whenever I download AIM and try to install it, I get an Error 45. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

7. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

The version of AIM for OS X is terrible. It hasn't been updated in 4-5 years, and last time I used it was crashing constantly. If you want a better chat client, use iChat or check out Adium. Both vastly superior to AIM.

As for that error, I have no idea what could be causing it. Could be an incompatibility with Leopard. EDIT: To install AIM on Mac OS, you'll need Stuffit Expander. Not sure if you have that yet, so it might be good to download that just in case you run into a similar problem again. Also, AIM runs in Rosetta mode, which means performance will suffer big time.

8. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

is Ichat the same thing as AIm. Im getting a macbook, im pretty sure. I would need AIM and MSN Messenger. Can i use ICHat for both? Will it give me the same features. Or do i use Adium?

9. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

iChat is an AIM client under OS X; works much better than the actual AIM software. As for MSN, I think you can use that with Adium. Come to think of it, there is a Mac version of Messenger available for download on Microsoft's website.

10. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

Great, Thanks.. im looking foward to getting the macbook. Im concerned with the screen though. i keep reading that the screen is not that good and apple uses very cheap screens... i wonder if that could be an update that rumors are saying.. but i hope it isnt as bad as people say.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I prefer Adium to iChat, however Adium does not support video chat.

12. maclawlz macrumors newbie

The fact that you tried to d/l AIM on a Mac should already disqualify you from ever owning or using a Mac for the rest of your life.

What to do now? Go ahead and install Windows on it so you can run AIM to your heart's desire.

13. JacobC macrumors member

Dude you got a Blackbook!

That's pretty swicktatious!

I have an iMac, and I don't know of many "great' Mac Apps, but there are a couple cool ones!

14. toby jones macrumors member

enigma
    nethack
    freeciv
    (freeware / shareware games)

um...

then throw away works (or at least limit your usage) and download TeXShop!!!!!

15. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Wow, good job being a douchebag for no reason.

16. Slovig thread starter macrumors member

I concur, and thanks to everyone else for all the apps you recommended.

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Definitely use iChat instead of the official AIM client.

18. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

mann the screen is fine. I don't understand why people keep saying this stuff. The viewing angles are perfect...atleast on mine. And btw if you do get MS office with your macbook...it comes with msn messanger. so mite be a plus for you there.

19. StuBeck macrumors 6502

You can get MSN messenger without buying office, and the screen you have on yours is basically the same as everyone elses, they're all not that great but you're not getting a good screen on a MB either way.

20. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Definitely use Adium for text-based IM. I currently use it for 3 jabber accounts, MSN, AIM, MSN, Yahoo IM, ICQ, MySpaceIM, and a few IRC channels.

For video chat, Skype is the best out there for cross-platform compatibility. (linux, windows, and OS X all work great together)

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I just read some not too favorable reviews on MONOLINGUAL, it messes with a lot of programs, namely Safari, and Mac Mail, making them unusable.

22. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

^^
    my safari and mac mail are still working perfectly...no issues wtih them at all for me...all my programs work great after running monolingual

23. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

read this guys other posts.... seems like a good addition to this site...

but back to the real topic...

I got my macbook on Thursday and installed:
    Firefox, Quicksilver, Transmission, Flip4Mac, and that language remover which gave me about 3 GB of extra space...

other than that just be grateful because its a wonderful machine :cool:

24. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I typically do a fresh install with the included media and pair down all the extra stuff I won't need (printer drivers, extra fonts, languages, etc) during the install.