New cell phone - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jdmlight, Sep 9, 2007.

1. jdmlight macrumors regular

I'm going to be getting a new cell phone soon (I have Verizon in the US). I have the following choices (all of which are the free or inexpensive w/ 2year contract phones):
    (I have eliminated phones in italic)
    • LG Chocolate (Newer version is $60)
    • MotoKRZR (RAZR is better - much bigger screen)
    • MotoSLVR (only mediocre, iTunes functionality disabled w/ Verizon)
    • MotoRAZR
    • Nokia 6215i (Verizon's Nokias are rebranded Pantechs, I checked into it)
    • Nokia 6315i (Verizon's Nokias are rebranded Pantechs, I checked into it)
    • Samsung SCH-u340 (Samsungs supposedly aren't that great)
    • Samsung SCH-u540 (Samsungs supposedly aren't that great)
    I assume the color of the phone's case doesn't affect functionality.:rolleyes: (proven wrong, see post #6 below:confused:)

Of course, there are the normal options like Blackberrys and Treos, but I'd be paying for features I don't need (I have an iBook for mobile MSOffice and checking email, and an iPod for music and videos...). I am looking for a phone that has excellent call quality and signal reception above all. (that IS what a phone is for, right?:p) Bluetooth would be nice as well. I'd like to be able to have custom ringtones (not polyphonic, real music ringtones) - if I could transfer them from my computer, that would be awesome, cuz it costs less ($2.99 for a ringtone is kinda expensive). Other than music ringtones, music playback doesn't matter to me (most of my songs have iTS DRM) because that's what my iPod is for. Same thing applies with video. I'd prefer a color screen (I think all of these phones have color screens).

Finally, looks don't really matter to me - again, this is a PHONE, I will be using it to make CALLS. For instance, I know the RAZR is popular, but does it have good call quality? Signal reception?

Edit: I am now considering the Treo 700p, due to comments posted.

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you just want a good, solid phone, look into the nokia models. Do your research though, because Verizon has a habit of selling Pantech phones rebranded as Nokia.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Actually since you have Verizon, all the phones with BT have OBEX disabled in hardware. Meaning that it's only good for a headset. Verizon wants you to pay $2.99 a ringtone. Too bad you can't get unlocked phones on CDMA networks. Plus Verizon wipes the OEM OS off the phone and throws their slower, bloated red os on there.

Blackberries and Treos would perhaps be the best option, since both companies don't allow Verizon to mess with their hardware or OS.

4. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Well, Motorolas on the CDMA side are notorious for their kick-ass reception, and KRZR is no different. The only thing bad about it (or the other Motos) is that navigation is a little slow.

If you're looking for good-great reception and the quickest UI experience, the Chocolate is the best choice. Just make sure that it's the new Chocolate (VX8550) and not the first Chocolate (VX8500).

There are ways to get ringtones on both phones for free, although it does take a little bit of working in the background. I haven't really looked too much into ringtone uploading for either one, but I assume LG would be the easiest since you can just use BitPim over Bluetooth and access the filesystem of the phone, while you need to use some other tools for Motorolas.

I'd suggest going to HowardForums, go to their Verizon section, and look at the respective phone manufacturer's forums on their. They have a lot of information that may be useful for you.

NOTE: Stay away from the Nokias. They aren't true Nokias sadly. The last of the originals was the 65xx and the 21xx. Now they are just rebadged Pantechs.

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have the RAZR and hope to bail out on verizon for a carrier that will let me have the Nokia E70

6. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the Nokia phones sold by Verizon are Pantechs. (I have eliminated them from my list in the main post)

I do like the Palm OS, but so many complaints have been raised lately about the instability of the Treos (mainly arising because of the iPhone's launch). Other issue: Blackberries and Treos are expensive. I'd rather get a less expensive phone and an iPod Touch.:D Or an iPhone if it were offered on Verizon.

Yes, I can attest to the rather poor interface of Verizon Motorolas, my brother has one and the UI sucks. Phone works pretty well though.

With the LG Chocolate, the COLOR MATTERS. The Chocolate, Cherry Chocolate, Mint Chocolate, and Strawberry Chocolate are all the VX8500. These are the ones that are free w/2year contract. The Black Chocolate, Black Cherry Chocolate, and Blue Mint Chocolate are the VX8550. These cost $60 w/2year contract. I'd prefer not to spend that much. So, I have eliminated the Chocolate from my list on the main post, unless anyone thinks different (pun in reference to Apple intended)?

Can I put ringtones on one of these phones with either USB or with the miniSD/microSD card? I don't need the wireless syncing, I have to plug the phone in to charge it anyway.

7. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone have anything to say about the Samsungs? I read some reviews that said they were fairly unimpressive phones, but what about call quality and signal reception?

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I've found samsung phones to be fairly robust and the UI is alright to get around with once you're used to it, although I much prefer the SE UI to it.

Call quality and reception seems about normal.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Im a big motorola fan, i would say razr or slvr. The KRZR screen is too small, but if you dont mind its not a bad looking phone.

10. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't the SLVR the revised iTunes phone? Is it as bad as the ROKR was? Remember, I want a phone that's good at being a phone first, other features are secondary.

The screen size of the KRZR is fine for me (1.9 inches). My brother's Motorola phone's screen is 1.5 inches, and it's plenty big enough. Plus, the screen on the KRZR is only .3 inches smaller than the RAZR's screen. I'm not going to eliminate the KRZR for screen size, as it's fine for me. (obviously, if there is another reason to eliminate any of the phones left, I will do so)

11. zflauaus macrumors 65816

The SLVR on Verizon is NOT the iTunes SLVR, or the iSLVR as I like to say.

All of Verizon's phones have the same, standardized interfaces across the line EXCEPT for the PDA's and BlackBerries. The SLVR, from what I've read is an "ehh..." phone, in that people don't have complaints, but they don't have praises either.

I'd suggest if you are just wanting good call quality, you can't really go wrong with the KRZR. It has great reception, a nice, small footprint, and is an overall good phone.

12. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I will safely ask you to NOT consider the KRZR. Only problem's we've had with it. :(

13. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of problems?

14. mizzoucat macrumors regular

I would recommend the LG. I've had lots of Motorolas and have had nothing but problems.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'll agree with that. The interface is ugly, and incredibly slow. It works, but it'll take you a lot longer to do stuff that it would with other brands.

17. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have a Samsung SCH-A930 and it's an excellent phone. It does everything I want it to do and nothing more. I paid $50 for it last january. I'm not sure if verizon still offers it, though. There's even a way to make and install your own ringtones onto the phone (it's relatively easy). My only gripe is that it only plays .wma and not .mp3 music.

Looks like this:

[​IMG]

18. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

I can agree with that, but how's call quality/reception? I can deal with a poor UI, but I can't stand poor reception or call quality.

OK, Verizon offers an SCH-A990, but that's $200. I'd get a Blackberry or Treo for that price (Treos are at $250 right now after rebates, if anyone wants to comment on how the Treo 700p fares). However, would you recommend the Samsungs listed above? I'd get either of those if they're good.

19. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly, the only LGs available to me are the Chocolate and the enV. I'd really prefer a flip-phone, as the screen is protected. I don't need the folding keyboard of the enV, especially since it's $110.

20. macmanx1 macrumors newbie

I've had dozens of phones of nearly every brand. My experience is that Motorola has the very best reception, call quality etc. However Samsung has made great strides and improvements recently. I have the new Samsung A717 (at&t) and the reception and call quality is every bit as good as any of my Moto's.

The older Samsungs I've had have been terrible, so that says alot about the new models where they have finally overcome the issue. My experience with LG is mixed and also find their overall build quality and materials used, simply not as nice a what Samsung uses. In fact I find Samsung the best in terms of materials and build quality. Sony Ericsson has a strange UI, and they tend to freeze or hang from time to time. Nokia has slipped from producing really great phones about 4 years ago, to now producing some that are really bad, some that are mediocre, and some that are not too bad. A real mixed experience I can no longer suggest Nokia. The one exception is the $600 and up price range of Nokias are better but I think they are wildly overpriced. So there is a snapshot of my experience with the different brands. All of which are recent (over the last year).

21. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

So, it seems that I'm hearing the same thing: the Motos are good for call quality and reception, but don't rule out the Samsungs either.

Thanks to all who posted for your helpful input and insight! Thought I'd say that before I forgot.:p

22. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

After about 2 weeks of using it (we've gone through 3, all have done it) the screen flickers black and freezes at your last window open for about 20 seconds or so. Completely random too, so you can't really catch it doing it for the customer service people. Also, as a heavy texter, the keyboard rubbed my fingers raw after awhile.. not to bad after the rubber and the finish wear off. ;)

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I had a Motorola L6, and I can't hear people who call me. They can hear me, but I can't hear them. Their UI is horrible as well, but their phones look nice.

Let me put it to you this way: I had a 2 year old Sony Ericsson T638 (or I think that's the model number), and I got the Motorola L6 to replace it. The SE's joystick wasn't perfect, and the UI was a tiny bit slow. Also, one of the buttons would stick. After two months of using the L6, I hesitantly went back to my old SE, because despite the trouble with the SE, it still worked well in comparison. One year later, I'm still using the SE, making this mobile 3 years old. It's still better than my L6.

24. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

I've used friends' KRZRs and RAZRs in the loud hallways of school without problems, maybe it's just the older Motos? Or that model?

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

MOT UI sucks...on AT&T(and other provider who leave the standard OS on it), with Verizon's UI is should be illegal!