New CEO for HP!

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
Wow, there had been some rumbling but Carley is stepping down as CEO, she resigned immediately due to differences with the board. The board lets her go. The press release is coming so no link.

Big shake up at HP though!

Stock is up 10% in pre market trading (8:05am eastern time)

Stay tuned for press releases and articles, I am hearing this on CNBC.

Search on for new CEO-so put in your application now! :p

First story out - link
 

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
611
0
SC
stubeeef said:
Wow, there had been some rumbling but Carley is stepping down as CEO, she resigned immediately due to differences with the board. The board lets her go. The press release is coming so no link.
It's about time. That woman was driving HP into a big hole of trouble.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Too bad. It looks like they'll go back to their old ways and eventually, just fade away. It seems that everytime she tried to do something she got a "we always did it this way" and you get very little done when your own company is fighting change.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have mixed feelings about this...on the one hand, I think she's a brave and determined woman, and I think she brought a lot of different thinking to the company in good ways.

On the other hand, I've kind of disliked her ever since Compaq and HP merged... I felt like HP used to be a company that had a unique soul, like Apple to some extent, although more of a geek soul than a style soul. In some ways admittedly this was bad -- like the way their calculator products were in another timezone from the way everyone else in the world thought. That was almost as surreal as Motorolla trying to convince the world that LEDs were better than LCDs on cell phones....

But I felt like there was a sort of unique soul to HP, and that Fiorina was kinda sucking that soul out, and trying too hard to play catch up to Dell in terms of hardware, and to IBM in terms of services, instead of trying to make the company succeed by being truly different and innovative....

Well, I'm not sure anyone else will have a great time making that conglomeration of HP and Compaq into a powerhouse again either.... But if they try and fail, they can always blame Fiorina... :(
 

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
5,125
2
North Carolina
It will be interesting to see where Carly goes next. I think a lot of companies would be interested in her style of innovation to shake things up.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wordmunger said:
It will be interesting to see where Carly goes next. I think a lot of companies would be interested in her style of innovation to shake things up.
So, I'm being totally non-sarcastic here, what exactly were the success stories of her career as CEO there?

I guess one of them was the transformation of the printing business to the emphasis on photo-printing related products for home users. It seems to me, at least, that HP is still very strong in that market, although it also seems like Epson has made a lot of inroads ever since photo printing took off.... But I don't know too much about printers. I guess the story here is that HP went in, pre-Carly, as a real leader in printing, and stayed a leader despite the radical transformation of emphasis that photo printing brought about. Which really is (again, no sarcasm) an accomplishment.... Is that accurate?

My impression was that the merger has failed to produce any great benefits, and also that the services-oriented transition (a la IBM global svcs) was kinda a bust. Are there other aspects that have been more successful?
 

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
992
2
San Diego, CA
I think this is good for HP. I never thought she did very well with HP. I haven't seen one really good thing come from HP in a long time.

I think most people would agree with this, looking at the stock market...

Does anyone else think it's funny that HP went up 10% after laying someone off when everyone else's stock falls when they announce a big layoff? :p
 

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
12,106
73
Solon, OH
Macaddicttt said:
I think this is good for HP. I never thought she did very well with HP. I haven't seen one really good thing come from HP in a long time.

I think most people would agree with this, looking at the stock market...

Does anyone else think it's funny that HP went up 10% after laying someone off when everyone else's stock falls when they announce a big layoff? :p
I guess the investors didn't like Carly too much either. They would send the stock up if she left.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
i dont know, i kind of liked her style, i think she brought a lot too HP, although i think she tried to get too much done at once though, and thats probably what caused the differences with the board, HP does need to wake up and make some changes if they want to stay around as a company though, otherwise eventually they will go under
 

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
219
0
We use HP (used to use Compaq) exclusively on our Wintel side and I can say I'm not surprised by this. Ever since the merger it has been like pulling teeth to get servers shipped. We've had several orders that went on for months without product shipping. If our company allowed us to order other equipment the Wintel guys could have had Dells in days.

I'm not saying this was her fault but I can understand the decision to try something new in getting the ball rolling again.
 

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
929
0
London, Ontario
Im kinda worried about this. I work for HP and usualy corporate shakeups mean that the little guy down the line gets the shaft somehow. Good thing im already looking for new work.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
rhpenguin said:
Im kinda worried about this. I work for HP and usually corporate shakeups mean that the little guy down the line gets the shaft somehow. Good thing im already looking for new work.
I wish you well with your career pursuit. Hopefully you will find an even better position. What type of work are you doing, and what will you be looking for in a new job?
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
jdechko said:
She used to be CEO of Lucent Technologies. Screwed things up there too.
Lucent and AT&T are basically dead, with everything they once were sold off or spun off. :(

They should just kill off the respective corporate names and bury the corpses.
 

LimitedEdition

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
60
0
I guess Steve Jobs sets the bar pretty high for tech CEOs. Maybe the board of HP saw what he did for Apple and wondered why their CEO was not doing the same thing...
 

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
2,023
0
London, UK
I don't know too much about her, I watched a coupla C|Net videos with her in... introducing new products... Didn't seem too impressive really.

I did especially like this photo on BBC News of her...

She must've been bad! Stock up 10% already!

Hob
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
LimitedEdition said:
I guess Steve Jobs sets the bar pretty high for tech CEOs. Maybe the board of HP saw what he did for Apple and wondered why their CEO was not doing the same thing...
1. Some CEO's kill a company slowly and some at a faster pace.

2. Some CEO's keep the company afloat from before they were appointed the position.

3. Some CEO's take a company that is sinking and bring it back afloat.

Steve Jobs is the 3rd type, which is good considering this is the tech industry. :) And you cannot dismiss that he was the 1st CEO of Apple when it started, so he know the company best, in essence Steve Jobs is Apple Computers and its marketing. :)
 

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
3,225
0
somewhere between here and there.
hob said:
I don't know too much about her, I watched a coupla C|Net videos with her in... introducing new products... Didn't seem too impressive really.

I did especially like this photo on BBC News of her...

She must've been bad! Stock up 10% already!

Hob
I also have family who works for HP, in the server distribution section of the company. Not sure if this is good or bad news yet though.
 

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
432
0
NJ
maya said:
And you cannot dismiss that he was the 1st CEO of Apple when it started, so he know the company best, in essence Steve Jobs is Apple Computers and its marketing. :)
You mean he INVENTED Apple Computer Inc. along with Woz. :p