Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I was thinking this when we saw the "touchID" button on the rear of the phone, that the hollow circle in early production would be for wireless charging. I was shocked nobody else really considered it, in terms of the "analysts" but hey! If it's true, this is great for those who want it!

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Sounds like something out of a Japanese Maglev train... sounds alright!

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I can't see myself buying a wireless charging pad for the home (but never say never).

At the moment, I see this as being a far more useful feature for me when I'm out and about in hotels/bars/cafes etc

Reactions: 44267547

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Just earlier today MacRumors claimed the iPhone 8 would have faster charging USB-C. It most certainly won't have both. Apple isn't about to include 2 chargers with every iPhone.

Just as the charger tone has changed previously in iOS, it's likely this will just be a change to the existing charging tone.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I understand the basis behind wireless charging, but having to have it lay perfectly all the time just isn’t what I expect from a device that can be used while charging. For the watch it makes sense, you aren’t going to wear it while charging. But having the physical plug in the iPhone port ensures that it is secure and it won’t come undone when using while charging.

Until the charging is done with a truly wireless implementation I don’t see the full point...

Reactions: gixxerfool

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Just earlier today MacRumors claimed the iPhone 8 would have faster charging USB-C. It most certainly won't have both. Apple isn't about to include 2 chargers with every iPhone.

Just as the charger tone has changed previously in iOS, it's likely this will just be a change to the existing charging tone.

I had always assumed that Apple would include a wired charger in the box, but release a wireless pad as an extra moneymaking accessory.

At least until such time that wireless charging could offer a similar rate to a wired connection (if it ever develops to that extent).

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I understand the basis behind wireless charging, but having to have it lay perfectly all the time just isn’t what I expect from a device that can be used while charging. For the watch it makes sense, you aren’t going to wear it while charging. But having the physical plug in the iPhone port ensures that it is secure and it won’t come undone when using while charging.

Until the charging is done with a truly wireless implementation I don’t see the full point...

Totally agree, I've never found the appeal to inductive charging... it takes me a fraction of a second to pop my phone on my charging stand, placing it on a charging pad is not going to add any convenience at all.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
How would wireless charging work if you have a case on your phone??
I don't see how the presence of a case would make much of a difference. The case is already transparent to other electromagnetic waves such as 2.4GHz and 5Ghz WiFi networking, various cellular frequencies (including but not limited to 700, 850, 900, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100 MHz bands), Bluetooth and GPS.

Wireless charging may happen in a band that is already transparent in existing phone cases.

If for some reason wireless charging was implemented in a new band then case manufacturers would have to ensure that their product materials would allow for radio transparency.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Totally agree, I've never found the appeal to inductive charging... it takes me a fraction of a second to pop my phone on my charging stand, placing it on a charging pad is not going to add any convenience at all.

Like you, earlier I said I can't see myself buying a charging pad at the moment for my home.

I can, however, see a use case for hotels/cafes/bars where placing my iPhone on a well placed mat would be preferable to me than plugging it into a staff charger etc

Reactions: jgelin

orangenotebook

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

So do you think wireless charging will happen with the iPhone 8?

lwatson99

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
UK
Or - it could be for a ‘fast charger’ / ‘charging’ method allow for quicker recharges or similar.

Personally, I reckon wireless charging may lead to the removal of the lightning port to make it fully waterproof - and that really would be bad.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It's not going to be inductive charging. Apple has already poo-pooed this. It will be true wireless charging.

Not sure why MacRumors has difficulty understanding this.
I seriously doubt it will be ranged wireless charging in the iP8. No one has any commercially viable ranged charging tech in the near term pipeline yet. Energous and the WattUp tech is starting to look more and more like vaporware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.