New Cinema Display With Macpro????

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Oct 14, 2008.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi I dont see how connect the new cinema display with mac pro? just a minidv for laptops... so maybe apple release the full cinemas on november, I mean 20, 24 and 30 with connection for mac pro, right?

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Just buy a Dell 2408. Better monitor, not glossy, full set of video inputs. Much cheaper.

3. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I personally would recommend Apple displays since they look sleeker and more elegant.

4. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

Looks don't make up for old technology, lack of inputs and very high price.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

The ACD's use IPS based panels, while the Dell 2408 uses a PVA based panel. If you aren't using it for CAD/CAM, graphic design..., you could get away with the Dell, and save some cash. :)

6. redmeister macrumors 6502

thought it was odd they only brought a 24 out. obviously it was to be paired with the laptops but still. dont know why they wouldnt do all at once or something.

7. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

8. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

it was explicitly stated in the invitation that it was a all about notebooks, so i guess that's why only the 24" was brought up.

also, given the shipping is in Nov. i guess they do not have that much time to prepare for the whole Cinema Displays upgrade.

whatever it was, mac pro (hopefully G5s as well) users should see some new video card offerings from nVidia soon (how soon? :confused:). not to mention probably better optimized drivers as well.

9. takingtheleap macrumors newbie

DONT BUY 2408

buy HP LP2475W. its S-IPS which is same as cinema display.
    92% colour gamut, 1920x1200 and all that.
    a host of connectivity options and is 24 inches.

comes for the same price as 2408. and looks a lot better than the dell.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Please find another 24" H-IPS LED based monitor that runs for $899 ...

Yeah, that's right. It doesn't exist. Plain and simple.

The reason this display seems expensive is because it uses a IPS panel and LED backlight. Please refrain from comparing it to crappy TN / PVA panels that uses traditional CCFL backlighting.

11. takingtheleap macrumors newbie

assuming that reply was meant for others.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

What is the quality of the output of the display port?

13. ampd macrumors regular

ampd

Wrong. Prove it. I see only a DVI to DisplayPort(male) for use with a laptop and we need the opposite.

14. iondot macrumors member

I think Apple is trying to gloss over the fact they aren't totally ready on the LED monitor front.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK.. I don't know is there a misunderstand here, or your all morons.
    I'll assume the prior! :D

The New Apple Display is design for use with the new Shiny MacBooks and MacBookPro's only. It's not designed for the desktop market. Hence, the image...

p.s. If you folks watched the Keynote you would of been informed.

Attached Files:

16. iondot macrumors member

As one of the borderline retards, that picture looks to me like the Macbook is blocking a quarter of the shiny new screen. Is that really the only way it can be set up?

17. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

i would not recommend buying a dell or any other crappy monitor. stick with the apple monitor. they have an adapter if you need one. or wait for a new video card.

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah.. I'm waiting to see what ATi will deliver.. Radeon HD 4870, with maybe DVI and Display Port..?

19. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea makes sense that this one was specifically for the notebooks. just makes me wonder as to how they're going to work it with the new acd's whenever they eventually come out, if they'll look the same just without the special adapter

20. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

jeez ppl...

This thing doesn't come out for at least 1/2 a month.. Do you really think there wont be adapters/ replacement cords by then. I never understood pre-ordering something to just end up getting it on the same day as everyone else.

21. Virtuoso macrumors regular

The cable doesn't look very long - there's no way it would reach my Mac Pro.

This is one thing that pisses me off about the current Cinema displays. A permanently attached proprietary cable from the back of the monitor which branches out into the DVI, USB, firewire and power plugs, which means you have to put the ugly white plastic power brick right next to the shiny aluminium Mac. My desk is 2m wide and the cable's not long enough to put the Mac Pro where I want it.

22. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Just get an old(er) 23" ACD? I'm sure with the new 24" coming out, the 23" will be discounted.

23. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Not only will it only work for the notebooks, it costs $99. I can only imagine what the adaptor for the MP will cost. I'm guessing more since it's somewhat of a specialty item.

The huge power brick on the 30" has always been in my way. I guess it could be worse though. At least the cable is good lookin.

24. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

You are correct, but I would imagine that we will see an adapter at some point. Regardless, I'll be buying a new CD to complement my new MBP. My 23" ACD will stay with my MP. :D

25. webraider macrumors member

Dell VS Apple Monitor

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with everyone suggesting a different monitor. I purchased a 3rd party monitor to do go with my Mac pro and I wound up selling it and using the $ to invest in an Apple Display. It's the best investment I ever made and here's why.

1. Color
    2. Brightness
    3. Vividness.
    4. It matches (not the most important but hey.. it's true)

Now.. can you get the same color on the other monitors.. Sort of. I found that i had to fingle with my dell monitor for weeks to get the same colors that I saw on monitors at the Apple Store. I never got a great Gama/brightness setting.. it would literally hurt my eyes looking at the thing. I would have to invest an additional $150 to buy a calibrator to really get it right and wouldn't you know that was just about the price difference of getting an Apple Pro Display. I sold the Dell Display (tried the same thing on a Samsung Diplay too.. so I know it wasn't the monitor) and purchased and Apple 20 inch Refurbished display. Out of the box it looked Immaculate the first time I turned it on. You only have one button to worry about and that's the brightness. Color, hue, baland, Contrast.. everything else is perfect.

My case in point is.. it's not just that the Apple Monitors match.. it's so much more. The monitors as specifically calibrated to the Mac Pros and the video cards that ship on Apple's computers. I you want good colors/brightness/contrast on just ANY LCD, then you're also going to have to calibrate it out of the box. Trust me.. It's worth the extra dough.

Apple always insures that the color matching on their monitors is superb.