new cinema displays between now and december?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coldmedina, Oct 11, 2007.

1. coldmedina macrumors newbie

one of the rumor sites is reporting 5 "all new" products from mac between now and mid-december, does anyone think that one of them could be new cinema displays?

looking at the timeline of cinema display releases from 1998 until present, it seems the pattern is approx every two years for new display lines/major product upgrades. so if the 30" came out 03/06 and the 20"/23" came out in 08/06, that would potentially translate into new displays still not for another year or so.

but with all the recent price dropping on the displays, and the new product announcements, its got me wondering if maybe they might unveil new displays sooner than later...

2. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

really it's been about three years since this line of displays was unveiled. you're right that there have been some (minor) spec tweaks since then, but that's it. this line is long overdue for an update and seems like the release of leopard would provide the ideal time to show off new displays...

fyi, there are a number of threads on this topic - new displays soon? - and you'll see that a lot of folks are waiting for everything from hdmi/hdcp/built-in isights to a complete redesign. i guess only steve knows for sure...

btw, which other site mentioned 5 new :apple: products between now and december? the main consensus generally seems to be that the macbook - and nothing else - will see a speed bump between now and christmas.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would guess that if they are updated, it'd be in January of 08

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm predicting a refresh to the Apple display line in January, perhaps at MWSF 08.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

[snip]

HDCP is a content protection DRM that works over HDMI/DVI and is not a type of connection.

6. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

MWSF or Developer's Conference?

I have also been hoping, if new displays don't show up at a special :apple: event to unveil Leopard this month, that they would show up at MWSF in January. But, I've held out little hope for the latter possibility since I've always thought of ACDs as more pro than consumer products.

Have any pro products ever come out at a MWSF? And, if not, I guess that means we might have to wait until next summer. :(

Of course, one reason for a delay in updating this line could be that LED backlit displays have been promised for all :apple: displays, but don't seem to exist in larger, e.g. 30", formats yet.

Anyone with other info or opinions on any of this, please LMK!

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't believe he ever implied it was? :confused: He was simply listing features he could see making into the new displays - HDMI, HDCP, built-in iSights.

Regardless, thanks for providing info on DHCP in case anyone didn't know what it was.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Your right but personally I don't consider HDCP content DRM to your TV or monitor something I would be looking forward to.
    :)

9. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

Agreed and thanks, too, for the DHCP information. I actually did not mean to make the implication that it is a type of connection. Was simply including it in a list of what others have listed elsewhere on their new ACD wishlists.

Does anyone else think it's curious that, although there are endless rumors about every possible tweak to the iPhone, Macbooks, etc, there are never (or certainly almost never) any peeps out of :apple: on updates or redesigns to this line?

10. coldmedina thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the feedback, good stuff :) although, i was convinced i was ready to march into my local apple store tonight after work and pull the trigger on the 23"... now i'm even more on the fence than i was before! :eek:

macosrumors.com is speculating it on their homepage, heres the exact rumormill:

"The grapevine is increasingly excited about a series of Apple Events between now and mid-December, introducing no less than five all-new products including at least one entirely new Mac product line -- almost certainly the much anticipated Macbook Nano."

vague, i know, but my unyielding optimism wants to read new cinema displays announced between those lines...

thanks again all!!

11. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

i don't know if this helps or makes fence-sitting seem like the best way to go for now... from the macrumors buyer's guide:

Product: LCDs
    Recommendation: *Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle*

Notes: *There has been some speculation that the most recent price drop doesn't represent a true update. If you click on the dates for the Apple LCD updates, you'll see that price drops are the primary form of LCD updates from Apple. The 30" model last received an increase in specification in March 2006 while the 20" and 23" remains unchanged since August 2006.

Last Release: April 04, 2007 [PRICE DROP ONLY - my edit]

Days Since Update: 192 (Avg = 230)

seems to me that if leopard is released 14 days from now (10/26), the days since update will then be 206 or less than 30 days from the Avg Update of 230. not that :apple:'s release schedule is set by a regular calendar, but u have to wonder if it's not worth waiting just a little bit longer... :rolleyes:

personally, i'm in the same boat and don't want to take the plunge only to have the line updated a month later. am waiting for leopard to get a mbp and want to get an ACD to complement it. personally, the absolute longest i will/can wait is MWSF keynote mid-january. the trigger will be pulled then for sure! :)

12. coldmedina thread starter macrumors newbie

well, that probably does it then. sounds like i'm waiting. i think i can make it until mid-jan :rolleyes:

figures, seeing how i was getting my heart totally set on one. well, its a good thing i suppose, because i'm really hoping they do something about this:

[​IMG]

which really makes me think of this:

[​IMG]

;)

13. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

hilarious pics! as far as the waiting, i think the keynote at MWSF will be on january 14th or 15th, which is literally just 90 days away from now or 76 days after leopard is released (assuming that's 10/26). i say "just" even though that waiting will be excruciating... :rolleyes:

of course, the keynote could come and go with no display update at all, which would be a huge bummer, or we could get a nice surprise beforehand with leopard and/or if :apple: announces an update to the mac pro line and its displays (the ACDs)... fingers crossed that it's the latter! :)

14. bluefishzoo macrumors newbie

I don't know if this helps, but I'm in the UK about to buy a 23" cinema display. Looking at all of the resellers here, most seem to be discounting (though not by much!) both the 23" and 30" displays. Could this mean end of life? Also with Leopard coming with Front Row built in, would it not make sense to have an IR built into the displays?

15. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

apple statement re transitioning to LED backlighting in displays

that is interesting, indeed, about the UK discounts to the displays. will have to check around on this side of the pond to see if anything similar is happening here...

one other factor to consider when pondering whether or not to wait before picking up a new ACD is the statement :apple: made in may of this year about becoming greener and shifting to LED backlighting in all of its displays. here it is:

To eliminate mercury in our displays, we need to transition from fluorescent lamps to light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the displays. Fortunately, all iPod displays already use LEDs for illumination, and therefore contain no mercury. We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays.

Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible.

wondering if it has yet become "technically and economically feasible" to include LED backlighting on 20", 23" and 30" cinema displays? obviously :apple: has introduced these new displays in 15" MBPs. but, since they still have not introduced them in either the 17" MBP or either of the new iMacs (20" or 24"), just wondering if it's overly optimistic to think new ACDs with these displays would come out while smaller displays in other lines still remain unchanged? and, just as important, would :apple: redesign/update this line (the hardware) without updating the displays - as promised - and then have to update them later?

on balance, seems kind of unlikely, since they almost never touch this line, that they would do anything other than offer another (welcome!) price drop or perhaps a minor spec bump before issuing a redesign to this product line when the new LED backlit displays are feasible. anyway, just my humble opinion based on lots of over-thinking with insufficient hard information! ;)

16. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

I would guess a price drop instead of a refresh.

Just look at what Apple did lately:
    iPhone: $200 price drop;
    Logic Studio, $500 price drop with enhancement!! (it was sold at $999 I believe and now it's $499 with full sound library!)

Now what? Apple is becoming more aggressive, however their Cinema displays are sold 3 times higher than others.

17. mrfaize macrumors member

I'm in the UK and thinking of replacing my 19" Formac with a 23" ACD. I'd wait a while to see what's around the corner.

BUT.... do you think the new screens (if any) would be like the iMac screens e.g. shiny/glossy surface?

How much has the priced dropped recently (most interested in the UK)
    Apple Store UK has them at £599 ($1200) but others have at £575 ($1150) all prices include tax.

Thanks

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I'm now thinking I may just hold out until Leopard ships on the 26th. If Apple has no new announcements I may get a Dell or Samsung 24" or 27" display. I can't wait much longer to get a display. It's getting too hard on my eyes to use a laptop display all the time.

19. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Doubtful in my mind seeing as the ACD's are supposed to be professional displays. Many professionals require matte screens, so I don't think that it will change.

A black aluminum ACD would be cool.

20. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

no leopard launch event = no new displays

given that, at least so far, there has been no announcement of an :apple: event around the leopard release, my hopes for redesigned/refreshed cinema displays before december is fading a bit...

according to the buyer's guide, a couple of weeks after leopard comes out we'll go beyond the average period between updates. that being the case, perhaps we'll get another (admittedly welcome) price drop. and, lately, that has come to represent a refresh to this line. :rolleyes:

21. nater. macrumors member

Not sure if it even really matters - but check out Apple's store.

On the top of the page they have all their products - the displays are not showing...maybe they are updating them soon. And by keeping them off the main store page, less people will buy them, less people will complain like they did with the iphone pricing?

Just a thought...

22. mrfaize macrumors member

I noticed this last night when I went onto the US store by mistake. The UK store still shows them (obviously a much smaller market though). Got me wondering.... but probably nothing.

Will definately wait until the 26th and see if anything happens.

23. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Here's a pure hypothetical for you guys. What if they add an iSight into the new models; will this add an extra USB cable dangling along with the DVI? I'm assuming the DVI can't drive the iSight along with the digital signal, but I'm not technically inclined to know.

USB ports are so sparse as is, I don't know if it's a good idea. I can personally live without the iSight.

24. mrfaize macrumors member

The current ACD have USB sockets onboard but I think there is a single cable out of the back of the ACD to a break-out-box where the cables split (DVI USB etc) to allow them to be plugged into the computer. I guess an i-Sight could be driven through the same cable or slightly modified to add it inside. I don't think there would be a separate cable.

Just my 2 cents.