New Cinema Displays coming at tomorrow's event?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hollywoodmacguy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/06/rumor-mill-details-on-the-august-7-imac-announcements/

The folks at TUAW have posted a rumor from a supposedly credible source that includes a number of non-iMac rumors for tomorrow's Town Hall event. Among them, new Cinema Displays with iSight. According to this rumor, the new display line will include a new 32" model, which apparently will replace the current 30" model, and a 24" replacement for the current 23".

This would be great news, if true. In any event, we'll know in just over 24 hours...

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we received the same submission. pretty sure its a fake.

arn

3. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, arn. i guess this probably falls in the "too good to be true" category...

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

TUAW shouldn't have published it. Some guy submits crazy info with an Apple email address and you don't even email them to confirm it?

arn

5. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

The rumor, given its scope, does have more the feel of someone's wish list rather than fact. Am guessing that tomorrow will be the new iMac, maybe iLife and .mac.

Will the displays EVER be updated?? :( October as a way to showcase Leopard? :) January at MacWorld?

6. MacBook Jack macrumors newbie

So... No update for the ACD! :(

Any one got any idea if the price of them is likely to rise when they revise them?

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

8. jellz macrumors regular

I think they'll rise. When the ACDs first came out they were like what 1000$+? I wouldn't count on the next revision to have the current prices. The prices they have on the ACD now took quite some time to get to this point.

9. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

The cinema displays are in the style they foster with all Mac products these days. They are pretty large.... where do you go from here? iSights?

Bet they won;t change for a good while. 30" monitors are quite gigantic.

10. rsoerensen macrumors newbie

I really think that the ACDs are in desperate need for refresh. With the iMac on the market, it is clear that these "Pro-displays" are not even making it up to the consumer market. The display (23") is smaller, and the contrast ratio is worse than the new iMac's

Short of that, they could definetely be a lot thinner (the imac is thinner, and the entire computer is in there as well).

How much time can apple postpone this update? One would think, that when leopard and resolution independence comes, Apple would like to show off the new possibilities in the best possible way - with a new, thin, sleek ACD sporting even higher resolutions. They way a professional display should be - or at least better than the consumer-product!

11. hollywoodmacguy thread starter macrumors regular

Completely, completely agree. These displays, as beautiful as they are, are in desperate need of a refresh, if not a redesign to at least be as thin as the new iMacs. (Great point about the new iMac, with a computer inside the display, being thinner than the ACD...) Besides the need for a built-in iSight, they could also use HDMI in/out and HDCP support...

That said, I've also thought (since they didn't arrive yesterday) that the next logical time to release the new models (or at least updated versions) will be in October. What better way to showcase Leopard?

Question: if, however, October comes and goes with no ACD changes, when would be the next logical time? MW '08 in January? Is this product line consumer-oriented enough for that event or would we then be looking at the next WWDC in summer '08??

12. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I can understand the 'update the hardware' desire, but they really look beautiful as they are. Purchased two myself last month, and wouldn;t want it any different. My last two monitors were 2003 displays from Apple, and they really look like crud pie next to these babies. Personally I think Apple has a design they could keep for a couple more years instead of goofing around with design and creating a mush of detail like on the new iMac (not that the new iMac is that bad, but it isn;t as nice and simple like older designs).

13. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Yeah they were expensive. I bought my 20'' ACD when they *first* came out, cost me $1299.