New Cinema Displays w/ built-in Camera & Apple Remote?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ErikAndre, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Next Tuesday Apple is rumored to come out with new displays (plus a potential built-in camera. But.. would you be more likely to purchase the new displays if... they had a built-in camera as well as Apple Remote functionality?

Think about it. The idea isn't that far fetched.

The new Mac Pro's did not come out with an Apple Remote (and many really don't care), but its really not that surprising as the unit could be hidden in the desk and be an obstacle for the remote line of reception. So it would make more sense to have the sensor in the actual monitor so it increases reception (plus gain popularity from the old Mac Pro base who have Leopard with "Front Row" software and no remote). Besides, i think this would bring a competitive edge to the competing displays amongst consumers.

Thoughts? I don't know.. if nothing else, maybe some Apple engineer will read this post one day and say "hmm... not a bad idea"

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No, they would have released them with the MPs because a lot of people buying new MPs are probably buying ACDs, and they would be pissed if they came out a week later and Apple would have a lot of exchanges to deal with.

Besides, 30'' LED backlight units still aren't feasable to go mainstream. Apple won't update them now and then update again in 6 months with LED.. a lot of pissed off customers too.

Display updates might be possible at WWDC or something.

3. ErikAndre thread starter macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Even if they don't update them now, it's still not a bad idea (ya know).

4. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Display updates would be nice. If any were on the way they would likely have been released with the new Mac Pro's models.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I only really want better brightness, contrast ratio, response time and HDCP compatibility. A detachable iSight, IR sensor, and HDMI port would be nice additions.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

They don't even have to upgrade them just lower the Price it's ridiculous. Although they will probably just upgrade and leave the price the same.

7. thinkband macrumors regular

Agreed.

I can never really consider buying an Apple monitor because of the crazy price. A crisp aethetically appealing screen is only worth so much. $50 at most IMHO. I cannot imagine the profit margin Apple gets. Monitors not as exciting looking but with better screens (Benq and Dell) for example cost more than %30 less.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ACDs aren't all about aesthetics.. they have professional 8-bit S-IPS monitors.

Many Dell monitors (and Benq according to my search on newegg) are 6-bit. Pros don't want 6-bit.

ACDs aren't meant as consumer monitors, which is why they're more expensive than the crappy consumer models. They're professional monitors.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'd want something useful like more inputs, brighter screens and new sizes... really couldn't care less about iSight. Every current Mac aside from Mac Mini and Mac Pro has one included anyway, so if you used ACD for extended desktop you'd be stuck with a redundant iSight (how frequently do people use their built in one? I can see them pissed off at getting another they don't need)

10. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Brighter screens :confused: the cinema display I'm typing this on is blinding me.

11. vixapphire macrumors 6502

ACD's are outdated though; there's a really nice HP that's smokin' the ACD 30" up and down the block right about now... for less dough.

i'm going to up my 23" to a 30" this year (i hope to, anyway); would love an apple (particularly at the great refurb pricing), but that HP is superior, and it's in a handsome enclosure too.

12. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Not so fast - they did not leave it the same on the Pro's..:)

13. ErikAndre thread starter macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Granted, but that doesn't mean Apple shouldn't have more of a competitive ege, rather than charging roughly 2x the price than a competiting monitor extremely close in resolution.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Which again raises the question of whether they'll ever reintroduce a stand-alone isight.

15. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Not True at all there's a lot of Dell's with M-PVA Panels which is 8 bit.

16. thinkband macrumors regular

After doing some real quick research, it seems that the Apple monitors are not as special as some of the fanboys here like to say.

Many companies not only Dell make either monitors on par or a tad better than the current Apple displays at a much smaller price tag.

Zioxide- Apple's monitors seem to be consumer monitors to me. I agree professionals use the mac monitors but I would be the same amount of amateur photographers/video/image processing enthusiasts use the Mac monitors.

All I am asking is for Apple to stop collecting their great sums of profit and make a price point better for the consumer. Maybe they could even leave the current monitors on the market and sell them for $300 less to be competitive and make some super monitor for the professionals with big wallets.

17. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

USB webcams are a dime a dozen, I just got one free for opening a bank account.

I can understand in the pre-Intel times, but are they so necessary nowadays that they are marketable? What was the big draw about iSight anyway? Did it have something that separated it from other cams? (Design aside :D)

18. vixapphire macrumors 6502

the hp is "LP3065". its list is $1399, and there's currently a $100 rebate thru the end of january. not bad, and not a Dell either.

19. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

What's wrong with dell, There 30" is amazing!

20. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

so does it seem like they will come out with new ACD this Tuesday? I have not bought one hoping they would come out with new ones since they have not upgraded the ones they have now in quite some time.

I just have not seen any great rumors about having new ones on Tuesday, anyone?

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

There are people holding out for ACD and Blu Ray. Honestly I think they wouldn't have sent the Mac Pro out when they did if they were just going to announce Blu Ray and ACDs, both of which many Mac Pro purchasers would no doubt buy, a week later.

Instead, seems to me they are getting it "out of the way" for other announcements.

At the MWSF keynote I expect: iPhone fawning, devkit news and 1.1.3.
    Software: 10.5.2, iTunes 7.6 with HD movies/rentals
    Hardware: MBPs refreshed to 2.5/2.8GHz Penryn
    One more thing: 2.2 13" MBP

I think Apple fans, as per usual, are jumping the gun and we'll see new ACD and Blu Ray support further into the year.

22. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I think your right but The displays are too expensive and if apple keeps waiting I'm going to buy a dell.

23. vixapphire macrumors 6502

i don't know from shinola about Dell; many here have expressed disdain for Dell's products. I'm just pointing out that the HP of which I speak isn't a Dell, so for those inclined to diss anything non-Apple, this one's not what they might initially think!

24. pr5owner macrumors 65816

2x the price?

apple 23" monitor (they jacked you 1" lmao) = $1050 (cad)
    1920x1080
    400:1 contrast (THIS blows)
    16ms response
    bright 270 cd/m2

Samsung SyncMaster 305T 30" = ~$1000-$1100 depending on where you buy it, same price range

2560 x 1600
    1000:1 contrast ratio
    6ms Response
    Brightness(cd/2)(typ.): 400 cd/m2

Samsung SyncMaster 245B $399
    - 24-inch wide TFT-LCD
    - 1920 x 1200 maximum resolution
    - 3000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio
    Brightness(cd/2)(typ.): 400 cd/m2 (assuming it has the same backlight as the other one)
    - Ultra-fast 5ms response time

yeah your right. 2x-2.6x

25. peejack macrumors 6502a

Show me the Benq or Dell monitors that have the same screens as ACD??