Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
So the latest drivers will make after effects crash, is that right ? Also were do you find that window to choose between native drivers or Cuda? For me I only get that small nvidia pane in preferences, no options.

I was hoping for a new driver that might fix some stuttering I get in games after I upgraded to mavericks.

funwithdesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So the latest drivers will make after effects crash, is that right ? Also were do you find that window to choose between native drivers or Cuda? For me I only get that small nvidia pane in preferences, no options.

I was hoping for a new driver that might fix some stuttering I get in games after I upgraded to mavericks.

It's the new CUDA drivers specifically that cause AFX to crash. The new graphics drivers seem to be fine. And you can reinstall the older CUDA drivers over the new ones and it seem fine now.

Just have to wait for an update. It seems that the updated CUDA drivers weren't supposed to be pushed out as the download page for the new graphics drivers still reference the older CUDA drivers.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I got the cuda update as well on ne new mac pro.
How is this even possible without having a cuda gpu on board??

miketombeur

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
cuda 5.5.43 breaks premiere/after effects

Yup same here... premiere/after effects wont start with latest cuda but reverting to previous cuda, still breaks my cuda acelleration in premiere (GTX 480)
any idea how to get it back ? deadline for monday... and in need for speed...

zonkvision

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
i have 5.5.43 on mountain lion with gtx285, AE crashing so i changed the nvidia driver to the OSX Default graphics driver and now after effects works all good.

going to go all in and try install mavericks :eek:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
i have 5.5.43 on mountain lion with gtx285, AE crashing so i changed the nvidia driver to the OSX Default graphics driver and now after effects works all good.

going to go all in and try install mavericks :eek:

We're do I find the selection screen to switch back?

funwithdesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Installing the Web Driver puts an Nvidia utility in your menu bar that allows you to switch between the Default Drivers and the Web Drivers.

Lou

I had an odd glitch with mine for a while where even though I had the web drivers installed, there was no control panel. Took a few restarts before it magically appeared. Even the nvidia menu item in the top OS menu bar didn't do anything.

zonkvision

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
ok i have mavericks installed, gtx285, cuda ,after effects cc, premiere all working together.

the problem is the latest web driver, i've found using the latest cuda driver (5.5.43) with the osx default driver it works fine but putting on the web driver the cuda stops working and AE breaks.

the cuda update thing also no longer says it needs to be updated.

so finally i've got mavericks and my 285 working together :D

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
FYI, this is causing the SAME EXACT ISSUES with 10.8.5

Installed NVIDIA web driver update 313.01.04f01 and then was prompted to install CUDA update. Update downloaded, then tried opening Adobe apps... nothing would start. Restarted machine and was prompted with CUDA needs to be updated but no update available error.

Restoring from my clone ASAP...

Nvidia today released CUDA 5.5.47 which works perfectly with 313.01.04f01.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012

Tried downloading on a few machines... even reinstalled the CUDA 5.5.28 panel on one of them and had issues actually getting system panel to download. It would see/find that there was an update available, just could not actually download... maybe NVIDIA's servers were getting slammed, who knows. I'll wait for a package download to become availailable. Either way, I'm sticking with 313.01.03f02 and 5.5.28 on 10.8.5 for now - when I update to 10.9.x I'll deal with this mess again.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK

Tried downloading on a few machines... even reinstalled the CUDA 5.5.28 panel on one of them and had issues actually getting system panel to download. It would see/find that there was an update available, just could not actually download... maybe NVIDIA's servers were getting slammed, who knows. I'll wait for a package download to become availailable. Either way, I'm sticking with 313.01.03f02 and 5.5.28 on 10.8.5 for now - when I update to 10.9.x I'll deal with this mess again.

Downloaded and installed through the preference pane here. No drama...

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Installing the Web Driver puts an Nvidia utility in your menu bar that allows you to switch between the Default Drivers and the Web Drivers.

Lou

I had the web driver, now installed the update through preference pane, that driver version doesn´t show on the web.

But, no menus to switch between cuda or default. No menus, anyone know why ?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I had the web driver, now installed the update through preference pane, that driver version doesn´t show on the web.

But, no menus to switch between cuda or default. No menus, anyone know why ?

Go to System Preferences and there should be an Nvidia Preference Pane. Click on it and enable the option that facilitates the Nvidia utility to enable or disable the Web Drivers and shows in the menu bar.

Lou

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004

I can verify this, I am using BOINC latest version v.7.42 and Einstein@Home project on a hulkish old Mac Pro 1,1 with the nVidia 8800GT that shipped with the Mac Pro 3,1, on OS X Lion 10.7.5.

CUDA v.5.5.43 did not recognize the 8800 GT and didn't get assigned any GPU work units.

Went to the nVidia prefpane, saw CUDA 5.5.47 update available, downloaded and installed through same. Rebooted machine, the MP is now processing CUDA GPU work units at what seems to be on average about 33% faster than when it was last working. That's solid!

sunsetsothickly

macrumors member
May 21, 2005
K6000

Anyone know anybody who has run a K6000 with this CUDA update and the current web driver? I am assuming that the current web driver under which people are running Tis and Blacks should be okay, but it'd be nice to see that someone has some experience with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.