Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the display part will work, but not the ports on the back of the monitor. How's that.:D

If this was the case, I think Apple would have highlighted this on its system requirements for the TB Display, something like *note, non TB devices will only support audio and video ... instead, they just wrote that you need a TB enabled system. We'll see in a few days as people get their TB displays.

Mike Biggen

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
If this was the case, I think Apple would have highlighted this on its system requirements for the TB Display, something like *note, non TB devices will only support audio and video ... instead, they just wrote that you need a TB enabled system. We'll see in a few days as people get their TB displays.

They're shipping in 6-8 weeks.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
No, the new Thunderbolt Display does not work with the current Mac Pro. The Thunderbolt is backward compatible with the mini Display Port, whereas the mini DisplayPort is not forward compatible with the Thunderbolt.

When a Thunderbolt cable is plugged into a mini DisplayPort port, the mini DisplayPort port can not resolve the signal sent to it because of the PCI-e part of the Thunderbolt signal.

On the other hand, when a mini DisplayPort cable is plugged into a Thunderbolt port, the Thunderbolt port can resolve the signal from the DisplayPort signal. This is actually what is meant by back compatibility.

So on the new 2011-12 mac pros, if it only has a Thunderbolt out for video, I can still use my 30" displayport monitor? I would hope som, or at least hope Apple includes a displayport out on the new vid cards? I wonder if they will still include a dvi plug? I would hate to think we couldn't still use our existing high end monitors.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
On the other hand, when a mini DisplayPort cable is plugged into a Thunderbolt port, the Thunderbolt port can resolve the signal from the DisplayPort signal. This is actually what is meant by back compatibility.

You wouldn't use a TB cable between an old mDP only mac and the display.

Conceptually, it isn't really a big problem to route the internal DP traffic in a pure "pass through" mode if:
1. there is no TB network present on either TB socket.
2. there is some DP device chirping on the other end of wire looking for someone to talk to.

The controller has to pick up and forward DP traffic if it the leaf node in a TB daisy chain. This is just a TB chain length of zero an the signal is inside.

However, it is should also be simpler to only look for DP displays in search of a host. As opposed to hosts looking for a display. For example if someone hooks up two DP cables, each with video cards, to two TB ports. Which card is the display suppose to talk to? the TB controller has to implement a DP switch? If it sticks to matching displays to single GPUs it is simpler.

If it is bi-direction handshake and has a 1-to-1 pass thru mode, the disconnect is why Apple doesn't say something about what works. They'll claim things like AirDrop works (which it doesn't if you have older implementation of 802.11 ) , forgets to mention FCPX won't open FCP7 projects, reimplements FileValut to be something new and your encrypt home may not mount ...... but in the case where something does work.... they go quiet as a church mouse. Highly uncharacteristic.

A simple footnote next to the system requirements that mentions this wider audience for the product is more likely to appear on the marketing/sales pages.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
So on the new 2011-12 mac pros, if it only has a Thunderbolt out for video, I can still use my 30" displayport monitor?

if you try to use a TB cable then no. If use a DP cable then this is just like the MBPs that drove DP monitors all Spring before Apple's TB Display arrived.

I would hope som, or at least hope Apple includes a displayport out on the new vid cards?

Most likely that is all you get. DisplayPort. Intel openly discounted PCI-e cards with TB on them saying they wanted computers to output both video and pci-e . (to build expectations from users that this will uniformly work as a computer video connector port presumably)

I wonder if they will still include a dvi plug? I would hate to think we couldn't still use our existing high end monitors.

What does inclusion of a dongle/adapter in the box have to do with being able to use? If you need an adapter buy one. There are an increasing number of monitors with mDP connectors out there now. When hardly anyone implemented mDP almost everyone needed one. At this point, that is not necessarily a high likelihood.

The trend for Apple is not to include anything in the box that isn't need by vast majority of users. They save more money that way. There is also less dongles in a drawer spread out over the world that way too.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Or another answer: the same point there was in dropping obsolete C2Ds into the late 2010 MacBook Air refresh.

8 months separate the launch of the 2010 MBA and the i5 in the 2011 MBA.

Hopefully we don't have to wait that long for the 2011 Mac Pro.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Should we read into the 6-8 week shipping time for the new Thunderbolt Displays as, "Mac Pros will be updated in 6-8 weeks"? It's a hot new docking station so it is unlikely that they would be intentionally holding them back, but I can dream...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I haven't kept up on the latest and greatest video card technology so I need a little help with ThunderBolt in regard to how this new connector plays with the GPU.

Are the GPUs in the latest MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac, etc. all being manufactured by companies that are integrating the TB connector onto it? Or is it separate somehow, where Apple takes the standard GPU and internally connects it to the TB interface?

I'm trying to envision what the new graphics card options would be like on a Mac Pro:

2 Thunderbolt ports
1 DL DVI port

It would have to be on the card itself meaning that Apple would have to be working with AMD etc. to build a new card.

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
I went and picked up a 27" ACD (current model) yesterday.

Running a 2009 Mac Pro. As far as my calculations went, TB Display is out in 2 months, TB enabled Mac Pros may either come out then or later when the relevant Sandy Bridge chips are ready. Even if I picked up a TB display, it would be pointless for me then unless some adaptors come up, which is sad. Wouldn't mind the TB input on the display, incase some fancy new hard drives came out.

TB enabled graphics cards for the older Mac Pros could take longer and they might no longer support the 2009 model (I'm guessing).

Oh screw it, I was just impatient :D What is the resale value on the ACD's?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.