Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
820
120
Nor Cal
Cost?

a 30inch display - cool!

Do you think they will take cash only, or will Apple now be accepting Kidneys and other barterable organs in order to sell their products?

:)
 

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
425
1
The exurbs, MN
Re: Cost?

Originally posted by iriejedi
Do you think they will take cash only, or will Apple now be accepting Kidneys and other barterable organs in order to sell their products?

:)

Things will start costing an arm and a leg. :eek:

With a 23" at $2000, how much more pricey can you go without being absurd? Although it was more expensive before...
 

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
2,547
832
Maybe if they dropped the prices... I'd pay $2000 for 30" but not more.
 

wymer100

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2002
53
0
My prediction if Apple does release the displays: they'll probably sell a 30in about $2500, drop the 20in to $1000, and 22in to $1300. Apple won't sell the 30in one for more than $3k or very few people will buy them. Didn't the original 20in display cost about $2500?
 

nico_rep_nico

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
14
0
fl
new displays?

please god,please god.please god.please god.please god.please godv.v..v.please godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease god. i need to get rid of my 17inch crt sony hmda200.....its got a damn grey tone to the colors.........pleaseplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease godplease god

im not really excited i just got approved for a 2000 dollar limit at compusa.....

pleaase do it i need it...my eyes are bleeding
 

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
2,097
0
Interesting how the old 30" rumor thread resurfaced just today and now this announcement.
 

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
541
0
Chicago (by way of SF)
Sorry to say this, but . . . there is absolutely zero evidence that any new displays will be announced tomorrow (or anything else for that matter). Where did this thread spring up, anyway?
 

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
1,934
51
MD/VA/DC
Even if the price seems ridiculous at first remember prices will come down. Heck, remember how much a 1x DVD-R drive cost at first? It was a crazy amount of money.. now they just cost pennies.
 

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
215
0
Miami, FLorida
Originally posted by numediaman
Sorry to say this, but . . . there is absolutely zero evidence that any new displays will be announced tomorrow (or anything else for that matter). Where did this thread spring up, anyway?

I agree - watch.............nothing is gonna happen
 

njfuzzy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
48
0
Boston, MA
Where do you get your prices from?

The cheapest 30" LCD product I can find (in a quick look, I admit) is $2800, and it is a brand I have never heard of. I also see an NEC model for over $4000.

Why do people expect Apple to charge $2500, then? I suspect the Apple product will sell for no less than $3500-- and clearly, people are buying 30" displays at that price point.

Also, remember that the biggest display barely needs to sell. It is in the line for the sake of the brand image, and to lure in people who will decide they can only afford the next one down. Apple would only need to sell a relatively small number of the top of the line display.

In general, arguments that randomly pick a price point and say "Nobody will pay more than XXXXX" are really just statements that the author wouldn't pay more than XXXXX.
 

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
67
0
the 23 is actualy a good deal the sony 23 is much more by atleast $300. The only one that has a little ify price is the 17, but maybe new displays also mean something else new that would be nice
 

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
210
0
... and does a new powermac g5 come along with this display?
.a
 

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
215
0
Miami, FLorida
Re: Where do you get your prices from?

Originally posted by njfuzzy
The cheapest 30" LCD product I can find (in a quick look, I admit) is $2800, and it is a brand I have never heard of. I also see an NEC model for over $4000.

Why do people expect Apple to charge $2500, then? I suspect the Apple product will sell for no less than $3500-- and clearly, people are buying 30" displays at that price point.

Also, remember that the biggest display barely needs to sell. It is in the line for the sake of the brand image, and to lure in people who will decide they can only afford the next one down. Apple would only need to sell a relatively small number of the top of the line display.

In general, arguments that randomly pick a price point and say "Nobody will pay more than XXXXX" are really just statements that the author wouldn't pay more than XXXXX.

I 2nd that.........
 

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
820
120
Nor Cal
Re: i wonder....

Originally posted by yoman
if the current models will be kept as such

17,20,23 plus NEW 30

or

17Wide,20HD,23HD, NEW 30HD all with holographic projectors :)

Well - now that being the case - I'd pay $3-$4k for the holographic projector - but ONLY if the new G5 come with a food replicator and a sonic shower so that I get every minute I can with the new set up - you know... dollar cost down the cost per minute of use!
 

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
78
0
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by wymer100
Didn't the original 20in display cost about $2500?

The original Cinema Display that Apple released was at MacWorld San Francisco in January 1999. (i'm pretty sure, but it might have been 2000.) anyway, it was a 22inch model that cost $4000. i bought one cuz i was makin a lot of money at the time. fortunately it's still working...
 

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
1,564
6
Australia
All wide-screens?

All the high-end displays are now wide-screens. I wonder if the low-end will be changed to that as well. A wide-screen Apple display that costs the same as my 15" did when I bought it would be quite the novelty. Gamers like me could use the wide-screen display as the main display and a CRT monitor for the games.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.