New Drone Footage Shows Nearly Complete Apple Park Campus at Night

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Park, Apple's second campus in Cupertino, California, is set to have its grand opening this month, and ahead of its official debut, last minute construction and landscaping is continuing on at a rapid pace.

As part of a mid-month update, drone pilot Duncan Sinfield has shared a new video of Apple Park, this time getting some gorgeous nighttime shots of the campus lit up at night. In the evenings, the lights on the ring-shaped main building stay on, and it's an impressive sight.

The nighttime shots are towards the end of the video, which also shows the completed parking structures, landscaping work with hundreds of trees being planted, final construction on the main building, furniture installation, and more.

[​IMG]

While employees are set to start working at Apple Park at some point in April, landscaping and construction on auxiliary buildings will continue into the summer.

Article Link: New Drone Footage Shows Nearly Complete Apple Park Campus at Night

2. Supa_Fly macrumors 68040

Supa_Fly

Love the night shot ... finally!

Looks like something out of close encounters of the 3rd kind or some old sci-fi movie.

3. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

steve jobs would be proud.

except he's dead.

4. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Yes, it's sad that he doesn't get to see this come together. What an amazing new presence! I call it Apple City.

I love how they designed to minimize light pollution, as well. Truly an impressive building. Now what will come out of Apple over the next 15 years? That's what this was all for, after all, right? Now to wait and see...

5. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

remember HP also had a massive campus and they are not the same company anymore. This all started happening 7 years ago with the purchase of land from HP http://www.mercurynews.com/2010/11/24/apple-makes-big-land-purchase-in-cupertino-2/

6. zoetmb macrumors regular

With just 11 days left to the month, I doubt very much that any employees are moving into the main building this month. Employees may start moving in in May, but there's tons of work left to do. Just getting the construction equipment off of the site would take several weeks. I bet it would take days just to get that orange safety netting off the top of the building. All those very large cartons sitting inside the building must be office modules and the like. All of that has to be put together. This place is huge. Lots of work still to do and the place will need to be cleaned top to bottom to get rid of construction dust before employees move in.

And I don't know specifically what California's laws are, but I would assume the place needs a certificate of occupancy. I can't see the authorities granting that until most of that interior space is cleared of construction and packaging debris.

All of these videos have shown very light traffic on the highways, so I assume they're shot on Sundays, probably early Sunday mornings. And so we also see relatively few construction workers. Anyone familiar with the site during the week? Are there a thousand construction workers there? Because it seems to me that's what it would take to get it ready for move-in if it's happening before June.

7. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Everything about life is cyclic. Apple grew out of One Infinite Loop, and now has a second one. I think that's very symbolic.

8. macsba macrumors 6502

I wish Duncan Sinfield would pick another video delivery website instead of YouTube for his videos. Can't view the 4K version using Safari. NO, I don't feel like using other browsers. YouTube went lame.

9. coolfactor macrumors 68040

But was HP's campus inspiring, designed and built with the planet and people in mind? Or was it just a boring corporate box surrounded by pavement? I think that's a very important distinction. Apple has always had unique values from the very beginning, and I think that influences their course.

10. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

11. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for the main building, but it seems there are already employees in the R&D building. Driving on the highway along the campus, I saw people in a conference room on the top floor. The blinds were also pulled down across much of the building so I'm sure at least some people have moved in already.

The outer parking lot is also clearly visible from the highway and it's completely packed with cars during the week.

12. apppen1 macrumors regular

apppen1

If Steve Jobs was alive the Campus would already be finished 2 years ago. Apple is doomed under Tim Cook /s.

13. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I do think it's a knock by Google/YouTube against Apple/Webkit/Safari to prevent 4K display, not a technical limitation. Lame, indeed.

But honestly, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference on a computer screen, would you? Unless you've got a 4k or 5k monitor?

As for sticking to Safari, let that go. I have 4 browsers running side-by-side all day. Safari is my default, but I've found I'm far more productive (and happier) by designating different browsers for different purposes. Works very well, as each has their strengths.

14. Superhappytree, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors regular

Superhappytree

I've always thought this would've looked even better with the entire centre being one giant Apple logo. The aerial views on that would be amazing and distinguishable.

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

16. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I live near Cupertino and it's hard to grasp the scale from the drone video. It looks straight up amazing at night.

17. mi7chy, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

mi7chy macrumors 68030

mi7chy

Why would it be a knock by Google against Apple when Safari simply lacks open standard license-free VP9 codec support for 4K? Neither is it a knock by Microsoft against Google that Edge browser does YouTube 8K better than Chrome.

Maybe try VLC embeddable player as a work-around on Safari?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

https://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

18. DevNull0 macrumors 65816

It looks shorter than it did in the early renderings we saw.

More of Timmy's thinness fetish?

19. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

I wonder if they're actually going to use the space to build really innovative products or continue with more of the same.

20. Hairball macrumors regular

Hairball

The place looks great in general, but the night look is far more amazing.

21. zeram1 macrumors member

As all of us, who continue to suffer from iPhone battery drain, watch our money being well spent.

22. macsba macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree.

http://darksky.org

23. Red Oak macrumors regular

24. Mr Staunton macrumors member