New earbuds sound amazing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I'm no audiophile but these sound wayyy better than the previous earbuds that came with the iPods and iPhones. The bass is so nice that you can hear it. You couldn't hear much bass from the old earbuds. I have a pair or ultimate ears superfi 5 pros that sound amazing as well, and would say that these new earbuds are on a scale of 7 out of 10 with the ultimate ears being a 10. Also digging the new design, very clean and minimalistic! Less is definitely more! Way to go Apple.

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

How are the highs? Are they more detailed than the older buds? Are they sibilant?

3. PurpleHeart, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

PurpleHeart macrumors member

Old ear buds - I listen once, and sit forever in the closet. Just couldn't do that to my ears .

I am a wee bit of audiophile (current favorite - UE TripleFi ;) ) but I was surprised at the earpods and how good it was considering it is not a in-ear type headphone - especially for the lows.

Every single earbud that came with the iPhones & iPods I've purchased in the past - I don't use them ever, except to test to see if there has been any improvement.
    The new ear'pod's - I actually use :)

IMO - I've had the Apple in ear headphones as well, and felt they were waaay overpriced for the quality - there are so many better options for the same quality of sound. If you are interested in discovering good quality headphones, look into the in-ear canal types. Once you go in-ear, you can't go back - which was why the earpods were even more of a surprise

Edit: Of course I am not saying that earpods are comparable to the high end stuff - what I'm saying is that I am no longer chugging the apple earphones away the instant I listen to them (as I mentioned before, the old earbuds were torture to my ears). They serve as a good backup/reserve earphones :)

4. Machoo macrumors member

Sweet

I agree the new earbuds rock. I am so much happier with them. I have a set of the Apple $80 in ears and of course the original earbuds that came with the iphone 4. But these new ones are great. First off they don't hurt my ears! That is the best part. They actually seem to block out quite a bit of noise as well. The sound is fantastic! I am stoked! Now, throw on the nifty travel case that came along with them and badda bing!

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

6. mateo124 macrumors regular

They sound okay, lacking in the mids department. They are definitely better then the old ones, but they don't sound anything like the ie2s some people are comparing them to

7. bryann9182 macrumors regular

8. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I agree, much better than the old ones, but people getting a tad carried away when comparing them to far superior alternatives.

Mine are back in the box and probably won't ever be used now.

9. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

They are decent at best. Yes while they are an improvement they aren't as good as Apple claims.

10. Aragornii macrumors 6502

True dat. I won't be replacing my Klipsch ear buds with them, but they are definitely very good.

11. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Better then the previous ones. Still wouldn't pay retail for them.

12. TyKandi macrumors newbie

I'm excited to listen to music in the earbuds! As someone said they don't fit in some people's ears, but that's just in earbuds. The old headphones hurt my ears so bad they were so uncomfortable! So looking forward to getting these! :D

13. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Why would I ever use these over my pair of HF3s? Hopefully anyone that has had even an iPod before was smart enough to buy even a lower priced set of replacement headphones. I can't imagine the earpods being better than most of those.

14. Advil macrumors 6502a

Definitely better than the old ones, but the ironic bit is that the new ones don't fit my ears as well as the old ones did. They kept falling out at the gym the other day.

15. PurpleHeart macrumors member

I left my earpods as backup headphones in the car - something that I would use in case I forgot to bring my usual headphones. With the old earbuds, I didn't even do that (again because of the horrible quality)

Of course earpod is not better than the headphones in the hundreds of $ category... But what I think people are saying here is

1. Huge improvemen over earbud
    2. We are no longer disgusted by the quality of sound from the bundled headphones

16. rmbpuser macrumors 6502

only improvement i noticed is that they dont hurt when your lying with them

17. meotai macrumors newbie

well worth the $30. I'm grabbing these over my etymotics for on the go stuff. I can bang these up and not care. Fits fine, don't have to mess with inserting foams. I wish they came in black.

18. leoneedees macrumors member

They are pretty amazing to say the least. For 30$ they are probably one of the best performing at that price point. While they don't compare to high end stuff (which no one should expect them to) they are well worth the money.

I actually needed new ear buds soon and I have found a replacement with the earpods. Saves me at least 40$ or more, which is nice considering my wallet is still recovering from the purchase of the iPhone and a couple cases :rolleyes:

19. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Not sure if these will even sound better after breaking them in, but they sound awesome now. I just started using them today. I been holding out because they just look so damn sexy all wrapped up in the travel case. I couldn't resist and decide to use them finally. Very happy with them.

20. close2reality macrumors 6502

im a big fan of ink'd by skull candy. hard to beat for $18.00

21. mashinhead macrumors 68020

how do they sound compared to apple's higher end pair?

22. RyanG macrumors 6502

Wee bit? More like not really...

Compared to old Apple buds - yeah, they're a nice improvement

Compared to some low level stuff like my Shure se215's, no, there isn't a comparison.

23. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

So it's not just me. I went out for a walk and the right earbud kept feeling like it was going to fall out of my ear. The old ones fit my ears better. *sigh* :(

24. nw9 macrumors regular

Today I bought Apple's new earbuds based on good reviews I've been reading and in my opinion they are much better than the previous ones. How they compare to some of the earbuds I'll let others do the comparisons.

The new earbuds do fit more comfortably in my ear, but I didn't really have a problem with the old ones. The newer earbuds are just more comfortable in comparison. I haven't tested the mic yet though since I just got it today and have been only testing the audio which has been good.

For me it was worth the upgrade especially since I've only been able to find one non-Apple brand earbud that has both a built in mic and the volume +- buttons that works with Apple devices. I've gotten too used to using the volume buttons to live without them. That is the only reason why I haven't spent more time looking for other earbuds. I don't doubt there are better ones than Apple's new earbuds, but the options are limited for people who want the mic and volume combination.

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Alright, so they're obviously phone earphones, and while some self-proclaimed "audio-philes" poopoo on them, I've yet to see one reasonable comparison of headphones that are in a similar price point that include controls and a mic.

And give it a rest with the "low end" crap on headphones that cost $100-$200; it just sounds douchey.