New eBay member asking me to ship to Malaysia

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have a retina macbook pro up for sale on eBay, and I just got a message from someone from Malaysia offering me more than the buy it now price to ship it to Malaysia, and they do not want me to use ebays messaging system. They want to buy it right away but outside of ebay.

this is the message;

Hi.. am (name omitted). I am writing you because i am interested in this item. i want to pay today and i want the item shipped to malaysia. I prefer usps courier because its releiable and more affordable than other couriers. The shipment cost is around $60 so i will pay you $1300 for item and shipping. kindly contact me via email (email omitted). Any message you send me on ebay will not be answered so kindly contact me via email only and please use the item number as the subject of the email you send to me. contact me asap. thank you.

My listing clearly states I do not sell to international buyers, nor anybody with feedback less than 3. I also notice they have just become an ebay member a day ago.

This whole thing feels like a scam, should I ignore them?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have a retina macbook pro up for sale on eBay, and I just got a message from someone from Malaysia offering me more than the buy it now price to ship it to Malaysia, and they do not want me to use ebays messaging system. They want to buy it right away but outside of ebay.

this is the message;

Hi.. am (name omitted). I am writing you because i am interested in this item. i want to pay today and i want the item shipped to malaysia. I prefer usps courier because its releiable and more affordable than other couriers. The shipment cost is around $60 so i will pay you $1300 for item and shipping. kindly contact me via email (email omitted). Any message you send me on ebay will not be answered so kindly contact me via email only and please use the item number as the subject of the email you send to me. contact me asap. thank you.

My listing clearly states I do not sell to international buyers, nor anybody with feedback less than 3. I also notice they have just become an ebay member a day ago.

No, no, and no. All signs point to scam. Stay away.

Spaniel95

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2017
I would personally avoid it for two main reasons, they want to chat outside of eBay which means you are less protected and two shipping an item of that much value overseas would be to much of a risk of "getting lost in transit" or "getting damaged". Stick with an eBay sale, stick with PayPal and stay protected.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012

this is the message;

run away from this guy, fast! It's a scam. After you ship it, they'll tell you they never received it, when in fact, they did. Or it got lost in the mail. Or some other excuse for non-delivery. And then they'll demand their money back, yada yada yada. And you'll be out one computer and a wallet full of money. There are people out there who want to do nothing but bend you over. When selling on eBay, be very aware of these folks; they are everywhere!

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

this is the message;

Outside of the normal alarm bells why this is a daft scenario/scam

1) Malaysia prices due to low tax on electronics is not that bad compared to US
2) Shipping anything from US to far east is expensive even through freight forwarding PO box's
3) US is the worse place to buy second hand goods as prices are high especially on Apple products

This is before you get to buying blind, no returns or secure payment transfer etc etc

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Thanks all, I had a feeling it was a scam, I was planning on ignoring it, I was just asking to get confirmation. Should I just ignore this message? and what if they keep messaging me?

Reactions: arkitect

Tazoawake2016

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Deep Space 9
Or ask the buyer to pay up in advance by Western Union.:p

Kidding aside, when you think of places that's usually associated with such scams, Malaysia doesn't come to mind. Still, as others have noted, this looks HIGHLY suspicious. Stay away!

Last edited:

AceFernalld

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Definitely a scam, as everyone else has said. eBay is a dangerous place for getting scammed. I have had countless people win my auctions and then have me sent falsified PayPal emails that indicate I received a payment, when in reality I checked my PayPal balance and there were no changes or transactions. They will really try to **** you.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Can't you select that you want domestic sales only?
yes, I did that, I deselected ship internationally when I set up the auction
[doublepost=1490308716][/doublepost]Well, thanks again, I just went into my ebay preferences and and listed them in my blocked buyers list.

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

this is the message;

That is a well-known Ebay type scam. Stay away.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

this is the message;

BRUH...if I was in your shoes I wouldn't do it. I would think this sounds sketchy as -

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
100% scam.

This isn't new. It's CLASSIC scam, scam 101. This is sooo scam, it's probably in the dictionary.

The Old stuff.

If you sell to these guys you literary fell for the oldest trick in the book :D

Good luck.

joleel7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Why would someone pay you more? It is not like there is no used Mac in Malaysia. Stay away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.