New eBay member asking me to ship to Malaysia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have a retina macbook pro up for sale on eBay, and I just got a message from someone from Malaysia offering me more than the buy it now price to ship it to Malaysia, and they do not want me to use ebays messaging system. They want to buy it right away but outside of ebay.

this is the message;

Hi.. am (name omitted). I am writing you because i am interested in this item. i want to pay today and i want the item shipped to malaysia. I prefer usps courier because its releiable and more affordable than other couriers. The shipment cost is around $60 so i will pay you $1300 for item and shipping. kindly contact me via email (email omitted). Any message you send me on ebay will not be answered so kindly contact me via email only and please use the item number as the subject of the email you send to me. contact me asap. thank you.

My listing clearly states I do not sell to international buyers, nor anybody with feedback less than 3. I also notice they have just become an ebay member a day ago.

This whole thing feels like a scam, should I ignore them?

2. htc fan macrumors 6502

I would avoid it, too much hassle and everything could possibly go wrong. Why take the risk ?

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No, no, and no. All signs point to scam. Stay away.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Seconded. Don't do it. There is absolutely nothing legitimate about that message.

5. Spaniel95 macrumors member

Spaniel95

I would personally avoid it for two main reasons, they want to chat outside of eBay which means you are less protected and two shipping an item of that much value overseas would be to much of a risk of "getting lost in transit" or "getting damaged". Stick with an eBay sale, stick with PayPal and stay protected.

6. lambertjohn, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

lambertjohn macrumors 6502

run away from this guy, fast! It's a scam. After you ship it, they'll tell you they never received it, when in fact, they did. Or it got lost in the mail. Or some other excuse for non-delivery. And then they'll demand their money back, yada yada yada. And you'll be out one computer and a wallet full of money. There are people out there who want to do nothing but bend you over. When selling on eBay, be very aware of these folks; they are everywhere!

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Outside of the normal alarm bells why this is a daft scenario/scam

1) Malaysia prices due to low tax on electronics is not that bad compared to US
    2) Shipping anything from US to far east is expensive even through freight forwarding PO box's
    3) US is the worse place to buy second hand goods as prices are high especially on Apple products

This is before you get to buying blind, no returns or secure payment transfer etc etc

8. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all, I had a feeling it was a scam, I was planning on ignoring it, I was just asking to get confirmation. Should I just ignore this message? and what if they keep messaging me?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't you select that you want domestic sales only?

10. robvas macrumors 68020

Yes. Keep ignoring them. Actually, block or report them as it's against eBay TOS to do what they are doing.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Report them, they'll just set up another account of course but they'll leave you alone.

12. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Yes, you can. I opt in for that every time I post something for sale.

13. Tazoawake2016, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

Tazoawake2016 macrumors member

Tazoawake2016

Or ask the buyer to pay up in advance by Western Union.:p

Kidding aside, when you think of places that's usually associated with such scams, Malaysia doesn't come to mind. Still, as others have noted, this looks HIGHLY suspicious. Stay away!

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Anytime they offer to "pay you more", it's a scam.

This is always a scam.
    ALWAYS.
    Got it…?

15. yukari macrumors regular

I'll second this opinion.

16. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Definitely a scam, as everyone else has said. eBay is a dangerous place for getting scammed. I have had countless people win my auctions and then have me sent falsified PayPal emails that indicate I received a payment, when in reality I checked my PayPal balance and there were no changes or transactions. They will really try to **** you.

17. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

For you own sanity (let alone financial risk) don't do this.

A. Pay more than the Buy It Now price?
    B. Will not use eBay messaging system?
    C. New member?

Three strikes in my book.

19. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, I did that, I deselected ship internationally when I set up the auction
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2017 ---
    Well, thanks again, I just went into my ebay preferences and and listed them in my blocked buyers list.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is a well-known Ebay type scam. Stay away.

21. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

BRUH...if I was in your shoes I wouldn't do it. I would think this sounds sketchy as -

22. Macalway macrumors 68020

100% scam.

This isn't new. It's CLASSIC scam, scam 101. This is sooo scam, it's probably in the dictionary.

The Old stuff.

If you sell to these guys you literary fell for the oldest trick in the book :D

Good luck.

23. joleel7 macrumors member

Why would someone pay you more? It is not like there is no used Mac in Malaysia. Stay away!