New eBay member asking me to ship to Malaysia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. old-wiz macrumors G3

They aren't even saying "mbp" or whatever. Anytime you see "interested in this item" it is a flat out scam. Really if you are buying something they should at least tell you what they want.

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

- Wants to pay more than asking price.
    - Wants to pay outside eBay payment environment.
    - Wants to communicate outside of eBay.

Any one of those alone are a red flag. All combined spells trouble. Stay way from it, IMO.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, thanks all again, its been established it is a scam, I have gone into my eBay preferences, and have listed them in the blocked people.

Trouble is, 3 days left of my auction, and I have had about 45 views, only one watcher, and now I realize that one watcher is probably the scammer.

I am a bit disappointed it looks like this may not sell, I have never had trouble attracting attention and selling one of my macs before on eBay. So far all I have managed to get is a scammer.

The computer is in good condition, and it is a 2015 retina macbook pro 13 inches. It is not like it is an old beat up laptop or something, and I have seen others like this sell, with multiple bids for more. I have multiple photos of it, and a description.

Could it be timing? it has been spring break for my school, but I know maybe there are other schools at break as well.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

Sorry to state the obvious but anything at the right price will sell :)

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

This one is easy...NO!

Seriously, how many flags do you need? Not using eBay messaging is a complete deal breaker...just the request it self.

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

yes, this has been established earlier in the thread, if you read through it, you will see that I am not even considering it, and have even blocked the individual, so no need to respond like I am dumb, I was just posting to confirm what I already had as a feeling.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---
    Yeah, I have thought about that, but I am in the ballpark on that, and am not going to sell it for nothing just to sell, when I have seen others sell for similar prices. If the whole week passes with no sale, then I will realist at a lower price.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I apologize. I responded without reading all the responses.

8. suzannaETC macrumors newbie

Sorry, don't have time to read everyone's reply so this may well have been covered. I would block this 'Buyer" immediately because 1) it definitely smells like a scam 2) he initiates contact with you with an unethical request to violate the Ebay rules that you've both agreed to by signing up to Ebay, not a great sign of an honest dealer 3) if you do sell to him, and Ebay finds out, you will be permanently excommunicated from Ebay.

9. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

Sounds like someone has written a letter in english which they will use for expensives "items".

I would ask them to send amoney using the western union bank - see if they still are interested :p

10. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

No and no, don't even think about it! :D
    Not even if he pays upfront! In that case you would ship it, he say it got lost, or received it broken etc. and want's his money back, etc... and Malaysian Mafia Guys comes, knock on your door.
    eBay okay, but sell to local people only, people you have the possibility to sue.