Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
- Wants to pay more than asking price.
- Wants to pay outside eBay payment environment.
- Wants to communicate outside of eBay.

Any one of those alone are a red flag. All combined spells trouble. Stay way from it, IMO.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Ok, thanks all again, its been established it is a scam, I have gone into my eBay preferences, and have listed them in the blocked people.

Trouble is, 3 days left of my auction, and I have had about 45 views, only one watcher, and now I realize that one watcher is probably the scammer.

I am a bit disappointed it looks like this may not sell, I have never had trouble attracting attention and selling one of my macs before on eBay. So far all I have managed to get is a scammer.

The computer is in good condition, and it is a 2015 retina macbook pro 13 inches. It is not like it is an old beat up laptop or something, and I have seen others like this sell, with multiple bids for more. I have multiple photos of it, and a description.

Could it be timing? it has been spring break for my school, but I know maybe there are other schools at break as well.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Ok, thanks all again, its been established it is a scam, I have gone into my eBay preferences, and have listed them in the blocked people.

Trouble is, 3 days left of my auction, and I have had about 45 views, only one watcher, and now I realize that one watcher is probably the scammer.

I am a bit disappointed it looks like this may not sell, I have never had trouble attracting attention and selling one of my macs before on eBay. So far all I have managed to get is a scammer.

The computer is in good condition, and it is a 2015 retina macbook pro 13 inches. It is not like it is an old beat up laptop or something, and I have seen others like this sell, with multiple bids for more. I have multiple photos of it, and a description.

Could it be timing? it has been spring break for my school, but I know maybe there are other schools at break as well.
Sorry to state the obvious but anything at the right price will sell :)

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
This one is easy...NO!

Seriously, how many flags do you need? Not using eBay messaging is a complete deal breaker...just the request it self.

yes, this has been established earlier in the thread, if you read through it, you will see that I am not even considering it, and have even blocked the individual, so no need to respond like I am dumb, I was just posting to confirm what I already had as a feeling.
[doublepost=1490497248][/doublepost]
Sorry to state the obvious but anything at the right price will sell :)

Yeah, I have thought about that, but I am in the ballpark on that, and am not going to sell it for nothing just to sell, when I have seen others sell for similar prices. If the whole week passes with no sale, then I will realist at a lower price.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
yes, this has been established earlier in the thread, if you read through it, you will see that I am not even considering it, and have even blocked the individual, so no need to respond like I am dumb, I was just posting to confirm what I already had as a feeling.
[doublepost=1490497248][/doublepost]

Yeah, I have thought about that, but I am in the ballpark on that, and am not going to sell it for nothing just to sell, when I have seen others sell for similar prices. If the whole week passes with no sale, then I will realist at a lower price.

I apologize. I responded without reading all the responses.

suzannaETC

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2017
Sorry, don't have time to read everyone's reply so this may well have been covered. I would block this 'Buyer" immediately because 1) it definitely smells like a scam 2) he initiates contact with you with an unethical request to violate the Ebay rules that you've both agreed to by signing up to Ebay, not a great sign of an honest dealer 3) if you do sell to him, and Ebay finds out, you will be permanently excommunicated from Ebay.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
They aren't even saying "mbp" or whatever. Anytime you see "interested in this item" it is a flat out scam. Really if you are buying something they should at least tell you what they want.

Sounds like someone has written a letter in english which they will use for expensives "items".

I would ask them to send amoney using the western union bank - see if they still are interested :p

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
No and no, don't even think about it! :D
Not even if he pays upfront! In that case you would ship it, he say it got lost, or received it broken etc. and want's his money back, etc... and Malaysian Mafia Guys comes, knock on your door.
eBay okay, but sell to local people only, people you have the possibility to sue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.