New external or internal HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by millar876, Apr 10, 2007.

1. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Hi, like a lot of people probably are, I find myself running out of hard drive space. i have an iMac 20" core Duo with the stock 250GB hard drive and at the moneny have 60 GB free and can sometimes get as low as 10GB and i dont like it when its that low.

Most of the space is taken up by iTunes (76GB between music and podcasts and video) garageband and all the jam packs take up a good 20ish GB then there is my apps, TV episodes recorded with my set top DVD recorder and backed up using handbrake, 6ish Gigs of photos, a few games (quake 4, doom 3, marathon trilogy inc AlephOne) a couple of HD movies i borrowed off of the HD in my sky box and my apps inc photoshop, M$ office, Appleworks, ilife and the usual rest, and then there is my parallels XP files (arround 25GB) and my Bootcamp partition (25GB), which id like to be bigger so i can put more games on it than halflife 2, and HL2-ep1 and Sim City 4.

SO, the question is. Should i look into upgrading the internal HDD (was thinking 500GB) and stick my current internal in an enclosure, at around £90 for the disk and £90 per hour (minimum 1 hour), im not brave enough to do it myself. OR get an external 500GB FW400 drive and boot OSX off of it, leaving the internal for a small osx partition and XP (vista when i get round to it). Will i notice any slowdown or speed up in performance running from an external. Back in the day my eMac 800MHz ran a bit faster from an external, but that was a slow drive. My wife uses GB a lot (live guitar into the line in in the imac) and i do quite a bit of photoshp, and some lite-ish video work, ripping from set top dvd-R, converting for ipod, playing about with iMovie, iDVD and Toast's Video DVD part.

Oppinions please. Im in the FAR north of scotland so options are limited for upgrade places that actualy know what a mac is let alone how to upgrade one safely.

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Just get an external and be done with it. If you use Firewire 400 it will be very fast.

3. Helianthus macrumors member

Just go with the large external. Im not sure of the prices in the UK but here you can get a 500Gb external for $189 CAN.

4. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

for uk prices you can prety much change that $ to a £

5. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

would in external FW400 drive not be a lot slower than an internal SATA though?

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It will be great for your iTunes library

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your biggest chunks of data are music and videos. Both are not at all speed critical. I'd get a 500 GB USB external harddisk; it is a bit slower than Firewire but it doesn't matter for playing music and videos from it, copy all the music and videos over, and I'd leave everything else unchanged.

8. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Why in the world would you buy a USB external drive when the man has firewire on his computer?

Firewire 400 has faster actual throughput rate.

Here is what you can expect:

eSATA: up to 80-90MB/s
    FireWire 800: up to 65-75MB/s
    FireWire 400: up to 35-40MB/s
    USB 2.0: up to 30-35MB/s

Pretty much USB is your crappiest connection.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I wouldn't even expect that from USB. 10 votes for FireWire, 400 or 800, depending on what your computer supports.