New File Type

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by eatpie26, Jan 14, 2011.

1. eatpie26, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

eatpie26 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't know where else to put it. I am making a game with Java, and I want the user to be able to save they're progress on their computer. In order to do this, I want to create a new type of file to save it as such as .doc or .ppt. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do I make a new file type to save the game data? I am using Mac OSX 10.7.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

3. eatpie26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not making a Java app. It's just a program written in Java. I know it's possible to make a new file type, but I'm not sure how. If anyone knows, please tell me.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

6. chown33 macrumors 604

That won't be possible if the Java program is a jar-file, or loose class files.

7. eatpie26, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

eatpie26 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am making the file as a jar-file. Which method should I use for that?

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The save file will still be in an external directory somewhere. As far as the format of the file, most people would just open up a file descriptor and come up with a custom format.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. I bet you are _not_ using Mac OSX 10.7.

2. The easiest way to do this without causing any problems to anyone, and at the same time the correct way, is to create a folder for your application inside the "Application Support" folder. There is no reason whatsoever to give this file any particular file type. Just write a plist, or an xml file, or a plain text file, whatever you prefer.

10. eatpie26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. That was a typo. Also, where is the application support folder?

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Ahem...

It is called "Application Support". It is in the user's home directory, in the "Library" folder. Have a look at what folders you find in your "Library" folder; for example, there is a folder where you should put your Preferences file. There are methods in Cocoa that give you the proper path, but if there is nothing in Java, then you should just access "Library/Applications Support" in the user's home directory.

12. eatpie26 thread starter macrumors newbie