Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been working for over two months to upgrade the iconic glass cube and surrounding plaza at its flagship retail store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, with the company switching to larger panes of glass for the cube to make for a cleaner appearance as the total number of panes is reduced from 90 to 15.

apple_store_cube_glass_panes.jpg

TUAW notes that deliveries of the new glass panes have begun at the site, with workers utilizing a large crane to work through the night unpacking the large panes for installation.

According to Justin Parmer, who shot photos and brief video of the unloading process, the glass panes are roughly two inches thick. Based on the dimensions of the original cube, the new panes should check in at about 32 feet high by a little over 10 feet wide.

Article Link: New Glass Panels Arriving at Apple's Fifth Avenue Store Cube

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Hope the crane cable doesn't break. Be on the lookout for Eric Schmidt and some missing cable cutters.

skoorbevad

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
I'm struggling to determine why this is noteworthy. This is just about like saying "NEW LIGHT SWITCHES IN 3 KANSAS AREA APPLE STORES"

Sorry for being a downvote magnet, but come on. Slow news day, I guess.

tsadi

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Glass that's 2 inches thick - wow!

Aside from tank windows, I've never seen anything with glass that thick. That makes it interesting at least for me.

I wonder though, is it really difficult building glass that thick with those sizes? Or just very expensive?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't know what to make of all this.

One the one hand it's cool and impressive, on the other hand it's just a shop.

I know Apple is a big company and obviously have different divisions working on different areas, but when I see the whole range of things like Phones coming out from many other companies and Apple still with pretty much just the one model and very limited range of desktop computers.

I can't help but wonder if I'd rather see them expand their range and push to make the most impressive machines in the world as opposed to how nice their shops can look.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I wonder though, is it really difficult building glass that thick with those sizes? Or just very expensive?

Probably a combination of both- that which is expensive to manufacture typically isn't easy to make either.

Pretty neat though. 2 inches (approx) is a tad less than the width of an iPhone 4.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
^^^^ Agree.

Slow news day indeed.
Come on MR… surely you can do better than this Page 2 stuff? :confused:

i have to confess...i stop and look at construction cranes when they are doing something really big ass. my gf can't stand watching for a nano second and pulls my arm like she tugs at her dog. i still like to watch that kind of stuff and hold my ground from her tugs (for a short time, admittedly)

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
It seems like these panels are sized specifically to be as large as they could go for cargo transport. Beyond that they'd need special logistics. With 2 inch glass the weight such big plates must also be getting extreme.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
It's a store, not a monument. Total waste of money, it was just fine the way it was.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

That isnt the glass from the iPad 3. Its the same glass used for the 500 inch iPhone 5. It turns black or a very beautiful, perfect white at the flick of a switch and it comes with invisible 50mp CCTV cameras with elongated, gesture based entry handles.

Edit. At least 5 people have had humour bypasses.

Last edited:

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

z4n3 said:
Just realised I am a complete Apple geek for reading this post and viewing the video, the sad thing is I actually enjoyed it :eek:

:apple:

So guilty of loving this post

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I don't know what to make of all this.
I can't help but wonder if I'd rather see them expand their range and push to make the most impressive machines in the world as opposed to how nice their shops can look.

It should be both. And as for the reason to upgrade, well, why not? Let me ask you this, do Stainless Steel appliances perform better than their white counterparts? No. Is a granite countertop truly practical than [insert cheap composite name here]? No. But people who can afford it go for both.

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Hmmm... looks very familiar...

Is this the same glass they used to contain the whales aboard the Starship Enterprise?

Samsung will likely fight Apple's cube patent using cries of artistic likeness from the film.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.