New Google Maps update is much, much better

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Assault, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Assault macrumors 6502a

Assault

Things like editing home and work locations, new slide from left menu, easy to get to all previous destinations for one click travel, accidents, construction zones and other info about delays now added (don't know if this is a copy of imaps or because of Waze acquisition?)

Google Earth is now tightly integrated into Maps, as 3D flyover and Street View now go through Earth.

Pics below are of Apple HQ in Cupertino;

Attached Files:

2. Assault thread starter macrumors 6502a

Assault

And new settings menu slide in from left

Attached Files:

3. Assault thread starter macrumors 6502a

Assault

And new updated traffic info... In this case, this is Los Angeles right now.

Last pic depicts 3D modeling of buildings,plus transit points.

Attached Files:

4. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Big downside is that they have removed offline maps and latitude/friends :(

5. strausd macrumors 68030

Definitely disappointed with the lack of latitude. It is something I used very often. I went back to the old version of Google Maps because of this.

6. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Removing offline maps is a no go, because I need navigation mostly in other countries, so I got rid of the update.

7. Explicitic macrumors 6502

It wasn't removed, just...hidden.

"The offline maps feature for Android is also no longer available. Instead we’ve created a new way for you to access maps offline by simply entering “OK Maps” into the search box when viewing the area you want for later."

----------

Isn't Latitude being discontinued entirely?

8. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Thank you, I know that, but with ok maps you can store just one small map in the cache.
    In the older version you could download as many maps as you liked to your smartphone.

9. strausd macrumors 68030

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Actually, that's very unfortunate. I rely on iOS's Find My Friends not infrequently (lets me check on the location of my teenaged kids; and yes, they know I may check on their location).

If I had wanted to do the same thing on Android, if I had switched them over, I would have used Latitude.

Not sure now what equivalent I would use on Android that would allow me to check on a friend's (or family member's) location without it being an active function on their part. Latitude (and Find My Friends) is nice because the target doesn't have to do anything.

11. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Latitude has been moved to Google+ locations

12. strausd macrumors 68030

Doesn't quite work the same. In fact on my Nexus 4, Locations in the G+ app doesn't work at all. It just shows a grid and never actually displays the map.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

And does it auto-update one's location, or do you have to manually update? I like to be able to look at a map and see where my kids are (and if they are actually where they say they're going to be). I don't use Google+, so please pardon any ignorance of how it works.

14. strausd macrumors 68030

Well unfortunately I can't check as it won't load on my phone. But I do have the same worries. Plus it is more of Google forcing G+ onto Android users. Maybe Google doesn't know this, but there are a lot of people who don't use the G+ app...

Just looking at the play store, Google Maps has been downloaded at least 500% more than the G+ app. So forcing latitude onto G+ users limits the potential audience...

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'll check when I get home from work. I don't have my Android with me today. My iPhone 5 is my daily driver until I receive my Razr Maxx HD's car dock (presently in the mail) and I have a viable way to reliably access Find My iPhone or Find My Friends from Android (in case I need to check where one of my kids is).

It's in this area that iOS has a better solution. The geofencing feature of Find My Friends is better than anything I've found on Android. I do trust my kids, but like Ronald Reagan said, "Trust but verify."

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Did they explain why they're getting rid of off line maps? It better be a hell of an expansion because that's a dumb move.

17. strausd macrumors 68030

I'd be curious to know if you get G+ locations to work. I just tried reinstalling G+ and I am still getting the same problem.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Meh no update for me yet on any of my devices.

19. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

You can easily get the update by installing the .apk if you want to.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I am pretty sure you can just go to the play store and manually install it.

21. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Hmm, didn't know that, how does it work?

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

just type "google maps" in the play store and it will have an update option where it usually says install

23. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Ahh that's what you mean.
    But because Google is rolling out the update in stages, this will do nothing, if you are not choosen to get the update, but by installing the .apk you don't have to wait for Google to release it to your country.

24. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

No there is no update option. Will have to wait until a trusted site uploads the apk file. I updated my google play store through the apk weeks before it was rolled out over here.

25. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

There are many trusted sites out there providing the .apk.