New Google Photos 'Live Albums' Share Pictures of People and Pets Automatically

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 10, 2018 at 2:59 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following yesterday's Google event, the company is rolling out an update for Google Photos that introduces a new feature called Live Albums.

Powered by Google's facial recognition algorithms, Live Albums allow users to create albums that are automatically updated with pictures from their library of a specific person or pet.

Once an album has been tagged as a Live Album, it can be shared with others and will still automatically update to include new shots when they become available. From Google's The Keyword blog:
    Live Albums in Google Photos are created in the same way as a normal album, by selecting the Album tab and tapping the New album icon - just be sure to tap the new setting "Automatically add photos of people and pets" on the next screen, and you'll then be able to select the ones you want to include. You can also opt to be notified when any new photos are added to the album.

[​IMG]

In addition, Google says that the 7-inch display on its just-announced Google Home Hub smart speaker will also display these Live Albums including recently added photos.

Live albums are rolling out now in a number of countries on Android, iOS and the web. Google Photos is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New Google Photos 'Live Albums' Share Pictures of People and Pets Automatically

2. Kajover macrumors regular

Interesting feature, unfortunately it is from Google

3. Wig321 macrumors member

Is every apple design copied? Photos logo rip off

4. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

5. wdowell macrumors member

wdowell

I think it's more an evolution of their Picasa photo product logo, which proceeded Google Photos

6. Martius macrumors regular

Martius

Google as usually throws features against a wall and waits if it sticks. No thanks. I know this whole AI hype will be the future of consumer photography, but it quite "destroys" so many things I love about photography.

7. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

8. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

After hiding the security problems with Google+, The Good Censor docs and political videos on how they want to interfere with elections my trust factor with Google has been greatly deminished.
    Please Google, no more nails in the coffin or it might be time to purge all Google apps and accounts and use other search engines as there are good alternatives now.

9. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

Really wish that we could get just standalone Gallery and Music apps and not have to deal with these bloated messes that are being pushed on us.

10. rmoliv macrumors 6502

The whole event was so cringeworthy. They don’t even hide their attempt to copy Apple’s keynotes, even the ads. It was sad to watch, I almost felt sorry for them.

11. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I'm gonna hurl

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Are you crazy? Google Photos is amazing! It far outdoes photos in the Apple ecosystem and is a lot better than the gallery app ever was.

13. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I guess they are already harvesting the crap out your photos, so why not automatically share them? There’s still no such thing as bad publicity, right?

14. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

All I want is a Gallery application that shows me my own Albums, lets me create Albums, lets me move, copy, past, rename, etc. It should also let me choose what view I want it to default to every time I open the app.

I don't want folders or albums that an app THINKS I should have. Neither Google Photos or iOS Photos are very good at just being a Gallery app.

15. swm macrumors regular

i see a lot of new divorces getting filed soon

16. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

I think we all know what will happen when a special type of selfie is photobombed by a pet and google decides to automatically share it.

17. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Google photos is great. But there is one thing. If I delete a certain photo in the google photos it will delete it in the photos app of the phone and vice versa. Is there any way I can back up everything in Google's photo and keep it there, regardless if I delete it from the photos app?

18. Corsig macrumors regular

So If you quickly delete the photo from your phone does it quickly delete it from the live album? Who wants to share pics with eyes closed or bad selfie pics not to mention unintentional nudes (last one was a
    Joke)

19. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

It's not like there's no other options out there - plenty of file managers out there if you just want to view images/play music files or simple gallery/music apps on the Play Store.

20. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

That's not the point though. Apple (and Google) have moved away from simplicity and are starting to Touchwizify every stock app.

21. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Am i the only one who can’t use it cuz as soon as I download and enable auto sync it tries to pull every single photo from the iCloud which makes my device run out of space

22. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Great, so your photos can be hacked and accessed faster for people to track you down irl. Enemy Of The State is pretty much powered by Google now right?

23. Defthand macrumors 6502a

There’s good reasons for that. In Apple’s case, its founder thought that every Joe and Josephene Average would be inspired to create, curate, and publish if given easy-to-learn tools to do so (Think iWorks, Photos, iMovie, iTunes). He was mostly wrong about people’s motivation. The majority of persons are too busy/lazy/uninspired/ADHD to organize albums, create playlists, publish a personal website, or use a spreadsheet. Instead, they want apps and services that do it for them.

24. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

....and that irritates me. :)

25. Defthand macrumors 6502a

D105DB04-D5D5-44B6-947B-E1336DA18F1E.png
    I believe Google’s Picasa web storage photo service existed well before iOS 7, when Apple changed its Photos app icon from a skuemorphic flower icon to the a colors pinwheel. It’s more likely that Apple copied Picasa’s logo (above).