New Graphics Update just killed my early 08 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiffx, Aug 17, 2010.

1. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Ouuuucchhh, I clicked to update my early 2008 Penryn MBPro. After the update was done installing, computer was being restarted but hang during the shutoff phase. I gave it 5 min and then pressed power button. Now when I press the power button screen doesnt come on and no sounds either. Black screen but the fans are audible and slowly spin down and then nothing happens.

Any ideas?

I also booked a genius appointment in my local store for tomorrow, should I replace my ssd drive that i installed myself (its been working fine for half a year) to the original one, or they dont care as long as the system was working?

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

I would put the original hardware back in. They always advise you to do so. That is really strange though. Have you tried re-installing the OS?

3. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh Im going put the original HD back see if that helps.
    I cant reinstall because when you power up the machine there is nothing but the black screen.

4. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Oh, nvm. Haha, I totally was confused at why that happened I kinda ignored that. I would put the old HDD in, try to boot. If that works I would try to put the new SSD back in and try to boot using the disc.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Maybe the graphics updated killed the fail prone 8600M GT in your MBP?

6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I sold one of these machines but I have another one and will definitely wait on applying such update after reading this. I'm nowhere near an AppleStore right now so I would be difficult to repair it for at least a couple of weeks if it breaks down :eek:

7. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok just installed the original hard drive, same thing. I think the GPU got fried during update or the mobo went... anyway it's still under warranty so lets see what the apple guys say.

8. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Please keep us updated. This is very interesting.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Of course nothing is certain, but I see a new unibody MacBook Pro being given to you...

10. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

There have been several others on this forum who have received a new MBP. Good Luck!!:D:D

11. Keleko macrumors 68000

Should I be upset that my early 2008 MBP updated flawlessly? :)

12. Fabiano macrumors regular

Dude Im just updating mine now... if it fails Im screwed cause the nearest Apple Support is like 500 Miles away from here.

13. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Same thing here!
    It's a wait and see process now.

edit:
    update complete, up and running on an early 08 mbp.

14. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well apple sent it in for a mobo replacement, and a possible replacement of a screen and battery. So let's see what I receive back. Would be nice if it has a missing screen :D

15. Lokrado macrumors regular

i had these exact same symptoms after messing around with fstab - turns out it busted my logic board..

16. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Yesterday, I installed the update (the download from :apple:'s site), and as soon as it finished install, the screen started to flicker, and then everything froze. I thought it maybe just because of the update and I haven't restarted yet. Today, same thing, I was just copying a DVD in Toast Titanium, and as soon as the DVD finished copying, the screen started flickering. Any ideas?

PS. I had upgraded my RAM to 3 GB (from 2) and my HDD to a 500 GB WD (from a 200 GB Fujitsu).

Thank you.

17. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I installed the graphics upgrade yesterday on my 13" MBP, which I upgraded to a 500GB HDD a while ago. Anyway, I installed the update then upon restart I got the black screen and the message telling me that there was no boot device.

After panicking I did a PRAM reset and it started just fine. All is well now.

18. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067

seems like your card is on its way out, they start by flickering and then eventually just not displaying anything.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Excuse me, but I'm not too hip on certain jargon. What is a "mobo replacement"?

20. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

Motherboard :D

21. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Wow, this update really did a number on a bunch of early 08 mbps…

22. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

how is that in any way hard to figure out?:D

23. mightybot macrumors newbie

Mine died 3 weeks ago, same symptoms

Exact same prob: hear a fan, hear the superdrive spin up, but no screen and no chime. Re-swapped my 500GB HD with the factory 200GB and sent it to Apple under AppleCare where they replaced the logic board.

This was before the graphics update obviously, but after I'd played a bit of Call of Duty 4 on it. I've never played a FPS game on it before a month ago, maybe there's an relationship between the two, i.e. a graphics chip failure?

24. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

So how long do I have until my GPU fries. I'm not too keen on having it fry soon, as I need the computer (as a side not, the screen broke yesterday :mad:) Another thing, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=986929&highlight= I have an iTunes Cover Flow Problem. Is that due to the GPU?

Thank you.

25. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Okay, software updates do not kill hardware. Give me a break.