New guy, waiting to buy..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psiachris, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. psiachris macrumors member

    Mar 27, 2007
    well, i've gotten pulled into the waiting game. have had apple products in the past (apple II, Mac SE) but once i started working it all ended up being a pc world and that's what i've been with for a long time.

    waiting to buy a macbook, though i would've pulled the trigger by now had it not been for the speculation about new hardware. i know that basically the day you buy something it's obsolescence is guaranteed but i just didn't want to buy a new laptop and have it "replaced" within a week or 2, so i'm waiting. i've filled a cart/emptied the cart at the apple store several times as well as almost pulling the trigger at apple's store in king of prussia, pa, after playing around with the macbook. i'm really going to use it for light video, photo editing, garageband, etc., so i'm not sure if the upgraded video processing that may or may not come with santa rosa will matter.

    ah well, eventually something will happen, i hope.

    thanks for all the great information on the site!
  2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    Don't cave in at the 11th hour. It will be worth the wait IMO.
  3. epochblue macrumors 68000


    Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    11th hour? According to the MR Buyer's Guide, the MacBooks are mid product cycle.

    There will always be rumors about new hardware "just around the corner." If you need a new MacBook, go ahead and buy one. If you really want to "wait it out," but you might be waiting for quite some time. However, if you buy now, you'll get a great computer that'll last you for quite some time. Just make sure to upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB (Although I recommend 2GB if you're doing video editing) ;)
  4. juanster macrumors 68020


    Mar 2, 2007
    same here,, i dont even think SR will make a big difference to me since teh stuff i do in my computer dosn t need anythign more than what the macbook has right now but oh well i ll still wait and suffer til the upgrades come..and then,, i knwo what will happen next.. i will have waited for a long time,, then buy the new one and regret having waited sucha long time, like teh upgrades were not worth it,, so why not buy now? because i knwo if i buy now i ll regret it when the new one comes out an dill wnat the new one,, so whatver i ll just sit here and wait i ll save some bucks on leopard too annnnnd have extramoney for extra ram and apple care and i don t NEED it right now...i just want it...
  5. MarkinMD macrumors newbie

    Mar 27, 2007
    I'm in the same situation, waiting on a MacBook. Something to consider in addition to hardware updates are software updates. iLife 07 is overdue and Leopard should be available by the end of June. When released they'll be pre-installed on all new Macs so it may save you roughly $200 in upgrades further down the road.
  6. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004
    I am waiting as well. I dont if I want to buy a iMac or MacBook. I have had both an iBook G4 (What I am currently on) and a 1st Gen Intel iMac... The iMac was great, but I sold it because I needed mobility again.

    I will wait until the entire line is refreshed before making my decision. It will be worth the wait. I dont need a new computer, the one I have is working fine now, even tho its slow.

    Moving to a refresh of new hardware, as well as a new operation system (Leopard) will be totaly worth it.
  7. Gaelic1 macrumors member

    Sep 16, 2006
    Mountains of No. California
    I really needed a new computer but was going to wait. I did buy a MacBook, which I am now using. I bought it as an interim fix until the new iMacs come out. I'd buy an iMac then and sell the Macbook. Well the MB is working so well, and I love the mobility. I will get the iMac when it comes out and keep the book! I've been a Mac user since Apple ll.
  8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    It may not be the 11th hour yet, but 1-2 months is very close since I've been waiting since last year lol.

  9. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Mar 24, 2007
    I'm sort of in the same position as you...but I want an iMac, not a MacBook (although if I had plenty of money I'd get one too). Things is though, you could buy the MacBook right now, I doubt they'll have new hardware anytime soon. If they do it'll be in only a few months, like 4-5. At least that's what I think.
  10. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
  11. psiachris thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 27, 2007
    i agree that the waiting can sometimes be foolish, i've been let down by "vaporware" products in a couple of my other pursuits.

    i honestly do not know if i know enough or am enough of a power user to really notice much difference. honestly, when i was trying out the macbooks in the store i thougth they were pretty quick, at least compared to the PCs i use for both work and home. as for gaming, that's not a concern in terms of an updated graphics chipset, if anything someday i may get a ps3 just to have the blu-ray player tied into a console gaming system but that's not a priority.

    shame is i could've already been using a macbook, getting used to the mac os, etc......
  12. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

    Jan 7, 2007
    Im also waiting before buying,
    i want to have the newest possible,and cant really afford 200 euro,on top of a macbook for leopard and ilife07.
    Also would like the ram limit to be raised to 3gb or 4.

    Also the other benefits of sr.
  13. juanster macrumors 68020


    Mar 2, 2007
    Santa Rosa should be coming soon....less than 2 months IMO
  14. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

    Corrosive vinyl

    Sep 22, 2006
    There is always going to be a new apple product/update coming. The thing which interests me more then the newest piece of silicone is the software. if you wait until 10.5 comes out you will get the new OS and iLife '07 free, as has already been pointed out. I totally agree with this idea because the hardware isn't going to make much of a noticeable difference unless you are a power user. The thing that makes the difference is the software: the new versions of safari, iChat, iLife, and the cool new 10.5 features like time machine. Also there is a lot of under-the-hood software which they tend to update! on top of all the newest software, you might get the most recent hardware, including the possible SR chip and whatever other goodies they have. I bought an iBook G4 and about a month or so later they were offering airport and bluetooth standard because they were trying to get rid of them before the next hardware update came out, silly me, I only got airport card for free. But I did get the airport card and the 256 extra RAM for the same price as what I paid the last time I bought an iBook!
  15. chronox macrumors newbie

    Mar 21, 2007
    yea.. waiting jus kills! i've never actually used a Mac OS. Im all set to buy one after 22yrs of windows computing.. n suddenly.... they advise me to .... w.a.i.t!

    i mostly work with webdesigning... usually writing my own PHP code.. using notepad++ on win. is there similar stuff on mac on board? and i also do alot of p2p... its always on! .... aa... so the ability to upgrade ram is gr8 in SR.

    btw the iSight is vga or 1.3mgpx?
  16. macsr4all macrumors member

    Mar 27, 2007
    Calgary, Canada
    I've become incredibly interested in the mac world in the past few months and have been waiting for the leapard release to buy my first mac. I've decided i can wait, but it's painful because it would be awesome to have one now!

    I'm interested in using the mac for casual photo and video editing and was originally interested in the imacs but have thought about the macbook pro for portability on the road or in the classroom.

    The portability would be nice, but the price tag takes a bit of a leap from a dazzled up imac to a macbook pro with similiar specs.

    I was wondering if you guys think the macbook pro is sufficient for both editing photos (aperature), video (final cut express) and playing around with music (garage band). I don't really have the budget for an added display at the moment...maybe in the future...

    I know the imac would be sweet for the big screen, but is it worth the extra $ for the MBP? More money, less screen, less hard drive space. Portability.

    I'm also interested to hear what you think the ideal screen size is 15 or 17 and if it should be the glossy widesreen or just regular.

    as of now i'd like to get:

    2.33 ghz 15"/17" macbook pro
    2 gigs of mem
    200 gig hard drive

    Any advice?
  17. j5uh macrumors member

    Mar 13, 2007
    i have the macbook 2ghz, c2d, with 1 gig ram and it's running adobe cs2, and aperture just fine! than again, i just ordered by 2 gigs so it should be even faster =)

Share This Page