New HD to install. Do I use Time Machine to sync data to new HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ijrc, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ijrc macrumors newbie

So, I've got a iBook G4 with Tiger. My HD is tiny - only 80GB and I want to put a new one in. Obviously if I just swap em now I will lose everything on the 80GB.

Is the best method for me to keep everything on the 80GB, customized OS settings and all, to upgrade to Leopard and use Time Machine to back up to an external HD. Then swap in the new HD and install Leopard on the new HD and then use Time Machine to get everything back?

Or, do I even need to upgrade to Leopard? Is there a way to get this done using Tiger?

I'm no tech whiz but I'm savvy enough to do whatever method needs to be done.

Thx,

Ian

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner if you dont want to spend $130 on a fine product... otherwise you'll be very happy with Leopard!

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Close. You install Leopard, do the Time Machine backup, and after swapping the new HD in, you start from the Leopard DVD, but instead of installing Leopard, you use an option "Restore from Time Machine Backup".

Just check that Leopard runs on your iBook first. It will run on any G4 with at least 867 MHz.