New HDD is in external caddy - Help me format it please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sml238, Mar 11, 2010.

1. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

ok so my new seagate 7200.4 hd is here and i have it inside of a caddy hooked up to my macbook as we speak. i would like to format it in the best way possible. and re install osx on it so i can start fresh. then later copy my data over from my other drive when i put that in the caddy.

help asap please i wanna get this bad boy in

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Disk Utility > Erase > Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

i just did this. 1 partion correct? and does this mean osx is installed in it?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use 1 partition or more, just like you want it.

If you want to Boot Camp your Mac, use the Boot Camp Assistant at a later time. No need for partitioning now.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Make sure the partition type is GUID. If not, you'll need to create a new partition with the correct table type.

In Disk Utility, select the device from the list on the left, the go to the Partition tab. Change Volume Scheme to "1 Partition", then click on "Options...". Change the partition table to GUID and click "OK". Set the Format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" then click "Apply".

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

No, OS X will not be installed on it. To install OS X, you need to boot from the OS X Install DVD.

7. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

so install the drive in the macbook then turn it on then put in my osx dvd?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you want to install from the DVD or do you want to copy all the contents (including Mac OS X) from the old to the new HDD?

If it is the latter, boot from the old drive in the caddy via holding down the Option/Alt key during startup and select it then.

After booting has finished, use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone all the contents from the old HDD to the new HDD.

Then restart again, and if all went well, you should be now automatically booting from the new HDD.

Or do you want to install Mac OS X fresh and then copy data from the old HDD? You can do that, and then use the Migration Assistant to copy your user and Applications to the new HDD.
    The old HDD has to be connected though.

Here is also a guide:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Reinstall-Mac-OS-X - skip step 3 though, it is not necessary.

9. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

i would like to install osx fresh. would i have to install the osx disc and the application disk? and when i use migration assistant does it copy all of the useless files im trying to keep off of my new hd?

also do you need a torx to take the mounts off the hdd? and what size. and where would carry torx? i live in the city at college so theres not really any hardware stores or like a walmart or anything. just a mall and some 711's pretty much

10. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

do you think its a good idea to re install osx? or does it not really matter?

11. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use both discs, but only the OS X DVD 1 is necessary, the second DVD contains iLife.

It depends on what kind of useless files we're talking about.

Here is an example of a guide of MA.

To transfer files via Migration Assistant

Before performing migration, use Software Update on your older Mac to ensure you get the latest updates for Mac OS X.
    If you're using a portable Mac, make sure the power cable is connected.

On your new Mac, open Migration Assistant, located in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.

Read the Introduction screen, then click Continue.

If a dialog appears, type your admin password, then click OK.

In the Migration Method screen, select “From another Mac,” then click Continue.

If you are transferring via FireWire, connect a FireWire cable between your new Mac and your earlier Mac, then click Continue (skip step 8).

If you are transferring via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless network:
    Make sure both computers are on the same local network, or connect them directly to each other with an Ethernet cable if both have an Ethernet port.

On the computer you are transferring files to, click "Use Network", then click Continue, then click "From another Mac".

On the Mac you are transferring from, open Migration Assistant, click "Use Network", then click Continue, then click "To another Mac".

Follow the onscreen instructions to connect the computers via a passcode and transfer files. See this article for an example.

Select the hard disk and user accounts from which you want to transfer, and select whether you want to transfer applications, files and folders, or your Library folder.

Select whether you want to transfer your network, time zone, and Sharing settings, and then click Transfer.

When Migration Assistant is finished transferring files, click Quit.

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3322
    via http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&...UQBSgA&q=mac+os+x+migration+assistant&spell=1

What you need:
    Phillips #00 Screwdriver
    Spudger
    T6 Torx Screwdriver

From a guide to the White Unibody MacBook HDD replacement procedure.

found on http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...ody-Model-A1342-Hard-Drive-Replacement/1670/1
    found via click 6, click 5, click 4, click 3, click 2, click 1 (search)

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Without doing anything, just remove the existing drive and install the new HDD.

- boot into the Snow Leopard DVD
    - use Disk Utility to partition (1 partition, Mac Journaled)
    - Install SL
    - Create new user account
    - If you don't want to migrate all files, just manually move your data over, and re-install all apps from scratch

14. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

yeahh. do you think its a good idea to start fresh? i feel like it will just help in the long run. because iv already had some os related issues. where some minute settings got messed up somehow when i first got the computer and i had some internet issues.

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you don't have a problem setting some things up again, start fresh.

We don't really know what problems you had before.