New Headphones Don't Fit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chelsel, Aug 22, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

I just bought new headphones and they don't fit in the iPhone. What do I do? Has anyone had luck modifying the iPhone case to accept a standard (I mean standard as in it works in everything except the iPhone standard) headphone jack?

Cliff

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

there is a $10 adapter on the apple online store...

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Look on eBay for "iPhone headphone adapter". There are several, some are Apple (made for a previous model case kit). I've purchased several from: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Apple-iPhone-Headphone-Cable-Adapter-Sealed_.... I purchased several of these, myself.

Belkin makes one, although the Apple adapter is nicer, IMHO.

Some people have modified headphone plugs, but an adapter is a better and more stable way to go. I would definitely NOT suggest trying to modify the iPhone itself.

Best guess on why the jack is recessed is it functions as a strain-relief for the jack. This way, the case takes the stress, not the connector itself.

btw: the recessed jack has been a known feature since before the iPhone was released.

4. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

congratulations! you're the 100000000000000th person to ask this question without bothering to look at any of the 100 posts on this exact subject! please slam your head in a door and collect your prize!!! :rolleyes:

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A razor carefully applied can often shave down the plastic to make the headphones fit. You can also use them to slit your wrists for not searching the forums before posting. :p

6. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

yea i used a razor to cut some of my headphones too...worked like a charm. but seriously dude...search next time.

7. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

is the little charging base compatible with standard phones?

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Yes, it's compatible with every phone ever made. Even your grandma's rotary dial landline.

Are you for real?

9. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

I was asking if the line out on the charging base is compatible with standard headphones... geez... lay off the tabasco.

Turns out the jack is a line-out... and is not directly compat with standard phones either.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

lol ok sorry. just snag a plug adapter off ebay. they're cheap. Apple themselves even made one that works, and bundled it with the 1G Shuffle Sport Case. I got the case with the adapter for 2 bucks, before everyone rushed to get them for the iPhone. Now they're 8 bucks.