Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Good luck with that. My company pulls the same crap. Talked to them about it. They didn't care.

This is a perennial problem in engineering (and also in a number of other fields). The sad thing is it really rewards people for maintaining their mobility and changing companies periodically. Sometimes you can work the system in such a way that you can run the evidence past your manager and they can get the raise for you, but it's just honestly hard to keep up with the pace of pay in the industry by staying with the same company unless you go after a rapid promotion track.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
This is a perennial problem in engineering (and also in a number of other fields). The sad thing is it really rewards people for maintaining their mobility and changing companies periodically. Sometimes you can work the system in such a way that you can run the evidence past your manager and they can get the raise for you, but it's just honestly hard to keep up with the pace of pay in the industry by staying with the same company unless you go after a rapid promotion track.

I've had three promotions. I get great reviews every year too. Our company just reduced all our salaries by 5% too.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I've had three promotions. I get great reviews every year too. Our company just reduced all out salaries by 5% too.

Me too. Been with the company 5 years, got 3 promotions, and now just a 20% salary cut, brings me back to where I started now only 3x as much work and responsibility.

As someone said, don't rock the boat in these economic times or if you do be careful about it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I would think it would be cheaper for an employer to pay more to keep talent and experience. If I leave now now only are they going to have to pay more for the new hire but it will take him months to catch up to the level I'm at if he even can. Wouldn't it be better just to pay me the amount they are offering new people.

Um......isn't this a bargaining chip more than a hindrance? If what you described is true, why would you feel bad about asking for the same pay as the new employee? They don't want to lose you, and you're the only person who can do the job right now?

The only problem may be what Bartelby said regarding knowledge of other people's pay. Usually, you don't know this type of info about other employees due to this exact situation.......it makes some people upset. You're not supposed to know, so if you know, and you tell someone that you're upset about this email, you may get someone else in trouble.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
One said "Required salary", one said "Requested salary". The info came from the recruiter not from the people themselves.

That sounds like it's what the employee put on the application, it doesn't necessarily mean they're going to get it. Hell, I could put I request a million dollars a year to flip burgers at McDonalds, obviously doesn't mean that would be my starting salary there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
First I'd make sure that discussing colleagues pay doesn't break any contract agreements.

I was thinking the same as it does in my company despite the constant discussions had. Personally, I don't ask I don't tell. As for the OP, if you're at risk for violating some company policy then keep your trap shut and just be happy you have a job. In other words, save yourself.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
That's life, get used to it.

I made more than my bosses for a number of years as an employee. As a manager, I had a handful of folks that made more than me.

Given the current economic environment, your in no position to be demanding anything. Wait until things start to turn around, then ask for the raise. It sounds like they are treating you well anyway, no need to shake up the hornets nest.

I agree with this post. I have direct reports who make more than I do. I've had discussions with my boss and some things have been done to improve my position. Have a discussion with your boss once they are hired, you have no idea what they will settle for once hired. And this is no time to be making any waves or complaining. If necessary, stick it out till things get better and move one.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
As someone who have worked w/ recruiters. These "requested" and "required" salaries are asking salaries. So, these numbers are not set in stone. There is wiggle room for your employer to lower it and negotiate w/ the recruiting company.

As others have mentioned, salary depends mainly on one thing, experience.

Don't be surprised that the person you're interviewing may make more or be higher up than you. I have a friend who is a senior financial analyst and interviewed a financial director (his future boss) for his current boss' position. This procedure is simply to make sure you can get along w/ this new person whom you or they will be managing.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
First I'd make sure that discussing colleagues pay doesn't break any contract agreements.

Winner.

It's situations like this (hurt feelings and feelings of unfairness, etc) that give rise to policies prohibiting salary information from being shared. I think the above poster gives some very sage advice. Determining the answer to that question should be the first step.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
That's how my company is. Except I'm the new guy...:D

My starting salary, benefits, etc. were better than some of the people that's been there 5 years.

But on the other hand, I'm the top performer for our market, do management roles that aren't required of me, and generally work harder/better than the people that have been there for years.

Crawn

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I have seen that many new hired "all stars" after their first month realize that they can get along with the experienced people inside the company they just joined, and many of them are a bluff, and the management realize about this and do stupid things like promote them to make them fail and fire them.
Also I have seen them get frsutrated about the company get a better paying position at another company, and after some motnhs~1-2 years they come back with a bigger salary to occupy the same position they had in the past.

Anyway, there are good exceptions to this, and good talent people do exist, and yes they deserve to have a good salary.

And many good talented people are also underpaid.

So we will not get the money we want while working for somebody else, you will get what you deserve when you work for yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.