Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the new HomePod mini colors, including yellow, orange, and blue, are now available to order on Apple.com and in the Apple Store app in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The new colors are also available for same-day pickup at select Apple Store locations in the United States and Canada.

homepod-mini-color-bars.jpg

The new HomePod mini colors will also be available to order in China, Hong Kong, Japan, and Taiwan starting at 6 p.m. Pacific Time today, and availability will expand to Australia, Austria, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, and the UK later this month — there's no specific release date for those countries yet.

The first real-world photos and videos of the new HomePod mini colors were shared earlier today. The new yellow, orange, and blue models all have color-matched woven power cables and volume icons, but there's still a plain old white Apple sticker in the box, along with a 20W USB-C power adapter.

The new HomePod mini color options are still first-generation models and pricing remains at $99 in the United States.

Article Link: New HomePod Mini Colors Now Available to Order and for Apple Store Pickup

Last edited:

anshuvorty

macrumors 68020
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I will just my 2 cents on this product right here:

If they freakin included a simple AUX in jack, like all OTHER speakers on the market, I would've jumped on this in a heartbeat.

I purchased a pair to test them out and then returned them during the 14-day return window.

The good:
  • the sound is just impeccable
  • the size makes it possible to place almost anywhere which makes the device placement flexible.
The bad:
  • they are just so limited because they rely heavily on Bluetooth audio.
  • They don't work well at all when they are paired with a Mac and the delay is just soooo bad when you are watching video, especially when you are scrubbing through the timeline, makes it impossible to recommend or use on a daily basis.
Apple has been on a trend lately to course-correct most of their products - Mac Pro and MacBook Pros as the most recent examples. I hope they do the same thing with the HomePods, as I would love to use these as what they are meant to be used as - speakers, whether it be tied to a computer or not. I would like to have the flexibility of choosing how to use these HomePod Minis and at the moment, I can't purchase them. They just don't work as advertised...

All it would take is to include a simple AUX in jack....c'mon Apple! Do the right thing! Include an AUX in jack in the next revision. The latest MacBook Pros seemingly have a better DAC, so connecting the HomePod Minis through the MacBook Pro's headphone jack seems like a no brainer!

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Made the mistake of getting a white one, then made the mistake of making it a travel speaker. It is now a mild beige shade of color which is somewhat amusing.

Anyone looking to use one in travel, or go portable with it (USB-C battery pack), be sure to consider a darker color! ;) .

Do these work on ad-hoc networks? I hadn't thought to every try that...

Reactions: 840quadra

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Do these work on ad-hoc networks? I hadn't thought to every try that...
Your iOS and MacOS devices will create a peer to peer network with the speaker to output audio. I have been able to airplay at Hotels with captive pages and still browse the local networks with the main iOS / Mac device I am using.

These are also nice to have with on patios at hotels, or other places where you want some music in the background.

Reactions: Mattewes

BigBlur

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
I wish these could double as a communication device. Connect/plug it into my Mac and use it as a speakerphone in Teams, like a Jabra puck.

Reactions: xnu

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Your iOS and MacOS devices will create a peer to peer network with the speaker to output audio. I have been able to airplay at Hotels with captive pages and still browse the local networks with the main iOS / Mac device I am using.

These are also nice to have with on patios at hotels, or other places where you want some music in the background.
Interested on this too. Do you need to factory-reset and re-pair to use it in a new network?

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
The other day I read about iOS 15.2 Beta enabling humidity and temperature actions in homekit. And I remembered about the "secret" temperature and humidity sensor that's built-in the HomePod mini. Maybe Apple timing the launch of the new colors with the announcement of this new feature...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Interested on this too. Do you need to factory-reset and re-pair to use it in a new network?
No it honestly just works. You select your airplay pane and the speaker shows up like it would at home.

Iirc you may need to go into your homekit settings for that speaker and allow connections from anyone before you leave your home network. Additionally you can set a passcode so you don't wake up to Dre blasting in your hotel room at 2am because someone decides to troll you.

I can't access mine to verify here at work remotely to confirm my connection settings.

::EDIT::

IIRC when you take the HomePod away, it needs to be set to allow access to Everyone. You can then add the security password as described in this screenshot if you want to prevent just anyone from taking over your HomePod.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.24.33 AM.png

Image source

jkrazylitb

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Connecticut
Everything is colour matched except the touch area (which is white). Was it too expensive to make?
it may look that way in the pic, but im pretty sure the tops are color matched :: double checked - there is color, its just super subtle, the buttons are a deeper color though

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
I really wish Apple would release a higher audio quality speaker in their home speaker lineup (ala the original Homepod). I have two original Homepod's and one mini. The mini sounds OK, but it's really nothing impressive. The Homepod's on the other hand...very good Sonos competitors. I'm moving into a bigger house and am torn between adding additional Homepod Minis with their OK sound or having to go with Sonos.

Reactions: Superdrive
I have Sonos. It's spectacular, thoroughly "open" (including Airplay too) and they are entirely focused on audio products and audio experiences.

Want HomePods to do things they were not designed to do (like be full surround sound system speakers)? Sonos actually HAS full surround sound setups. The real thing- not hacks.

IMO- Sonos is to sound products what Apple is to computing products.

If I was moving into a bigger house- and my internal debate was Homepods vs. Sonos- I'd go with Sonos. Homepods are much narrower use than Sonos and much more "walled garden" than Sonos. Some of the biggest gripes with Homepods don't apply to Sonos. They don't seem to be as focused on "lock in."

Of course, you can also mix & match. Homepods have their uses. It's easy to Airplay to BOTH.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.