New (hopefully 2018) redesigned iPad screen specs...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kal-037, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
?

What screen style do you want for new iPads?

1. Bezels and size of iPad reduced; keeping screen size and resolution, with Face ID?

2. Size of iPad chassis the same with screen size enlarged, with Face ID

3. Keep design of iPad but use haptic home button with 10.5” bezel reduction?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Just curious of everyone else’s thoughts, So I created a poll to see where everyone stands on the (possible) iPhone X style redesign of the iPad.
    Also feel free to discuss semi-realistic wants and wishes, and maybe add why... and even share your own ideas, pictures, or renderings. :)

**Image and link to video with fantastic render of possible redesign (minus glass back I imagine)...

https://image.ibb.co/cWFvyb/95090_E86_DFBC_4919_A2_CC_640585878_CD0.jpg

Attached Files:

2. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Same package, bigger screen for me. I wouldn't want to go smaller than my 10.5 at this point. Looking forward to the redesign. Hopefully it comes this year.

3. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but I am saying keep all the screen sizes but reduce footprint only.

4. subjonas macrumors 68000

Didn’t see my option: no screen or bezel redesign. I like it as it is!

5. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I thought one of the options was the following...

Size of iPad chassis the same with screen size enlarged, with Face ID

6. Kal-037, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018

Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Ew, gross! Jk.... no but really my biggest issue with the iPad right now is the home button, I want a non-home button iPad so I have one less thing to worry about breaking... knock on wood, lol.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2018 ---
    it is. Sorry (i’m on pain meds so my already crazy brain is loopy-er and crazier.) *oops, ;)
    But I misunderstood because you said you didn’t want the iPad 10.5” smaller which just confused me for a second as I mentioned not reducing any of the screen sizes, and I thought you meant something different... again, sorry I ms-read it.

Kallum.

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

For me, the same 10.5” screen size with reduced bezels (making the entire device smaller) would be ideal. With Face ID too of course.

8. fokmik macrumors 68040

Yes. This !! The 12.9” need this more and more

9. Rava macrumors member

iPad mini witha bigger screen. Maybe Apple will be able to justify updating the Mini if it's screen size is closer the original 9.7 iPad. For the other iPads, reduce the bezel.

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

All good! Yea that makes sense now.

11. 007p macrumors 6502a

I went for smaller device size, but really I think weight should be a factor too. The weight really turned me off the 12.9" ipad pro.

12. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 68000

Kal-037

I should have,entioned that, with the reduction in bezels the iPP 12.9” should be around 1.2 or 1.3 pounds instead of 1.6/1.5

The 10.5” i imagine would be about 120-130 grams or .8 or .9 pounds instead of 1.03 pounds.

***i”m just throwing these numbers out with no real calculation, but genarlly I see with removing the bezels the weights would be improved quite well. :)

Kallum.

13. adamfozzy macrumors member

If you reduce the physical size of the iPad Pro 10.5 then the Smart Keyboard would also be smaller. Surely that’s not a good thing.

14. TinyChip macrumors regular

Exactly. Apple has said that the 10.5 keyboard allowed full size keys, unlike the cramped keys on the 9.7. Also Apple is trending towards large screens. (Have you ever seen so far a next generation iPhone with its screen size unchanged while footprint is shrunk?)

15. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

Feels like the 2018 IPad Pro will be a Model to Skip.
    Passing on it. Because it’s Just a Spec Update sue it gets FaceID but we all know Face ID is less secure than Touch ID. Faster CPU, More RAM etc but we. Don’t get Anything New. iPads Pro are about providing an Experience that’s new that No Device has ie.

Apple Pencil
    Quad Speakers
    True Tone
    Drawing and Writting
    Highend Games
    The Big Screen Experience
    120hz ProMotion

I don’t see the 2018 Brining Anything New to the table that doesn’t exists in one way or another already.

OLED is the Future, Count me in for a 2019 IPad Pro OLED With Touch ID embedded under the glass.

16. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Same size chassis, edge to edge display. And built in screen Touch ID!! Would love a mini with those features...

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

One big potential issue with putting Face ID on an iPad is that it doesn't work in landscape mode. That's not too bad on an iPhone because you generally hold it in portrait mode when authenticating but an iPad is completely different - many people use it most in Landscape (particularly if using it with a keyboard).

Would Apple put the camera on the long edge so it would work in Landscape? Possibly, but then it wouldn't work in Portrait mode...

Which leaves a couple of options: Firstly, get Face ID to work in both orientations or, secondly, put 2 cameras on the device

Personally, I think Apple won't put Face ID on the iPad for a while (if ever) because of this

18. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Like the video and the front design, although the back has to stay aluminium.

19. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Option 3, reduce the footprint of the 12.9 like the 10.5 and include a solid state home button & system haptics.

20. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I find the options for this poll lacking. There is no option for "none of the above". I have no desire for my iPad to have FaceID or haptic home button. I find it a bit odd that some of the people who reject the idea that "the iPad is just a big iPhone" also want the iPad to look like an iPhone. :confused:

I'm not one that goes for "change, for the sake of change". I would like to see Apple update the front face of the iPad (more than just the "screen") to improve the user experience when using the iPad as a tablet and netbook without it being simply a larger iPhone.

21. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I'd imagine landscape orientation is something they are working on already. You don't think they can figure that out by 2019 at the latest? Hard to see them releasing a flagship product with Touch ID at this point. Only the budget models (iPad and iPhone SE).

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, me too. I prefer some bezel so dont go making that smaller!

23. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

Also if Apple had included the OLED displays in the 2018 iPad Pro's

24. fokmik macrumors 68040

until Oled can support promotion 120hz..i think apple will stick to LCD

25. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Apple should increase 10.5 screen size and keep overall size of device. But I feel making the 12.9” 13.3 or more would be too big. I think the 12.9” should only be increased to 13” but have bezels removed still. Also my Face ID can unlock if I’m seen sideways.

All I know is I’m tired of this design and really tired of the home button being the same tech since 2007. It’s time Apple got rid of the Home Button.

Kallum.