New iLife '11 free upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjlopez13, Oct 20, 2010.

1. kjlopez13 macrumors newbie

I bought my Macbook Pro on the 7th of October (13 days ago) received it on the 13th (7 days ago)

Since it has been less than 14 days since I bought it, do I still qualify for a free upgrade?

I've seen on here that they did it for some people back when iLife '09 came out?

Who do I need to call to find out?

2. suresh31 macrumors regular

I called Apple Support and I was told that they have no information at this time on free/discounted upgrades for people who bought macs recently. They also said to check it on the website later today.

3. kjlopez13 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. lickitysplit macrumors regular

dang, got mine mid september. thats okay i dont use any iLife stuff but thats good news for people who just bought it and do.

5. praetorian909 macrumors regular

I'm not sure why they list October 1-19, and October 20 and after when they are both the same price, $6.99 + tax. Am I missing something?

EDIT: nevermind, I think the only difference is Nov 19th is deadline for Macs purchased 10/1-10/19 and for ones purchased after 10/20 it's within 30 days of purchase.

6. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

That sucks because I got my mac from best buy on Oct 2nd. Never mind I see I can get it as well. Just ordered.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You know you can enter whatever date you want... :cool:

8. pink.gumdrops macrumors newbie

I just tried that, (I bought my MBP in last month), and it seemed to work and everything. The only thing is, would it be possible for Apple to find out that I hadn't actually purchased it in October and bill me the extra $34 before I receive iLife? That's what I'm worried about.

EDIT: I just looked at their terms & conditions and it said that I must "complete the order form and provide a photocopy of a dated, itemized sales receipt indicating the marketing part number(s) of the qualifying product(s) purchased." The thing is, I was doing it online, and I clicked "check out" and went all the way to the Billing & Payment and it didn't say anything about providing a sales receipt. Will they ask for it at another time?

9. DJ-R macrumors regular

Same here, you're not alone. I have Premiere Pro and Soundbooth... etc. much more advanced softwares. Aperture =P

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well considering I payed $2600 for my mbp 2 months ago and it came with iLife 09 I think im entitled to 2011

11. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

look at this: http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

People who bought a mac from october 1st to 20th can have the iLife suite shipped to them for $6.99 (basically u pay for shipping)

I bought my macbook pro 13" on september 25th. I followed the link, entered the purchase date as october 1st, filled out required info and my application was accep

12. pink.gumdrops macrumors newbie

Well I went ahead and chatted with an associate, and he said that if they didn't ask for any further verification after the serial number that it was probably okay. So I ordered it online and everything, saying I bought it on October 1st, (actually got it 9/10) and I just got my order confirmation email. So it seems like it worked for me. If you try yours, I'd love to know if it ends up working. :)

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I did it and it says confirmed just waiting for shipping. I just put in 10/19/2010 cause last night I reinstalled the whole system including iLife 09 so ill pretend im dumb.

14. DJ-R macrumors regular

I'm getting errors but did you read the small prints?

It said apple has the right to change any orders you made also you will need to mail the info back to Apple like scanned receipts etc. Otherwise they will actually charge you back as an upgrade price.

Yes it is not fair, i paid $2300 with iLife 09 outdated softwares... only 1 month or bit more iLife'11 came out.

15. Ryy macrumors member

Thanks for the post and link. ;)

I just purchased my mbp on 10/10, so I went ahead w/ the upgrade. :)

16. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

thats so cheap, apple should give a 60-day limit instead of oct 1st.

LAME!!!!!!!

17. vant macrumors 65816

Why not give it to the people who purchased it in the last half year? What about a year? At what point do you draw the line?

Why do you guys feel entitled to things you never were promised? When you buy a car and it gets revised next month, do you go back to the dealer and demand the updated parts?

Stop being kids. This is the technology sector we are talking about.

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im not paying them $50 for software my computer should of came with, I expected them not to give me an upgrade but when I looked I couldn't believe they were only offering a 19-20 day period to get the "$7" upgrade... I didnt have to mail, copy, upload or do anything to prove I was in college to get the discount so I dont expect them to do anything about this.

19. JustMack macrumors member

I bought my MBP in August but I know someone who bought their MBP a couple of days ago. Would I be able to use my friends iLife '11 should she choose to upgrade?

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Only if your friend gives it to you and doesn't install it on her machine. Otherwise you are a soulless pirate. ;)

21. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Apple doesnt check serials as far as stuff like this goes so you could use your friends but it wont be "legal"

22. Sl33pyD macrumors newbie

I've got mine on October 18th :) Sent a copy of the receipt today to the adress they gave me online, now waiting to get my iLife 11 :) Probably gonna arrive next week

23. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I qualify for the free upgrade, however, is it possible for me to install all the iLife apps on my comp except iphoto and install iphoto on my wife's comp or does she need the whole upgrade in order to do that? I use Aperture and she uses iphoto so I dont need it....

24. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i believe if you purchased your computer after oct 1st - the 20th it costs 6.99 and after the 20th is free, i got my new mbp on september 1st but i seen all of the new updates and i will be buying it looks like a much needed refresh with alot more fabebook friendly features.

25. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

try going to the site and just put that your purchase date is october 1st, and see if your application gets accepted.