New iMac now or wait for Haswell Retina MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AaronM5670, Sep 27, 2013.

1. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

I originally wanted a rMBP (when the Haswell upgrade comes out.)

I'm starting to question whether or not I need the portability, and if so whether it's worth the extra money or not.

Opinions wanted - I'd like one sooner rather than later although I could possibly wait until the end of October for the MBP refresh.

Is the iMac update enough or will it just be immediately superseded by a better model? :confused:

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's all the iMac is getting for now. So if you want it, now is the best time to buy.

But it's also a matter of whether you want portability. I could never consider an iMac.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I purchased my iMac in 2009, thinking that portability (and the inherent sacrifice in performance) was just not worth it.

Today, I can't wait to get a notebook, and I'm not looking back. If I ever get a desktop again, it'd be a Mac Pro. I don't want to be chained to a desk or office for work or play.

I'd recommend the notebook. The flexibility is just so convenient.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just like everything else tech, next year the iMac will be superceded by superior tech. Whether you consider that immediate is subjective.

If you don't need portability, the iMac is much better value. It's both faster and cheaper.

To get the performance close to the iMac, you would basically need to buy the top-end rMBP.

All that said, my current Mac Pro is still one of the fast computers out there (despite being some 4 years old) let alone my iMac from last year!

6. AaronM5670 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

So I tried the iMac out in the Apple Store (the late 2012 as the new ones hasn't arrived yet) and I thought it was OK. I'm just worried if I'll regret it I buy the iMac because even with my student discount it'll still cost > $3250, and I might like the MBP more.

I'm starting to think I might wait until the end of October ish to see what the new rMBP is like and then make a decision.

Do you all think I should do this or will it just mean the iMac is a couple months older and I end up paying for that - in time wasted and money (lost productivity).

My current 5 year old PC is on its last legs and I'm starting to worry I'll lose all my data when it eventually gives up the ghost.

I've been waiting for 4 years to get enough money together from my parents (I'm a high school student), so a couple more months wouldn't hurt I guess.

7. 2IS macrumors 68030

Two completley different animals. Most people don't cross-shop iMac's and MBP's

8. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Yet I, and the OP, and several others here are doing that precise thing.

9. PoppaKap macrumors regular

What is the power difference between the iMac's 3.5 ghz i7 and the rMBP's 2.8 ghz i7? Are they the same chips other than the clock speed?

10. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Dude it's October now. Wait for the Retina if that is what you really want.

11. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

How do you cross-shop a 22lb desktop with a 4lb laptop?

You should know already if you need portability.

BTW- iMacs use desktop-class CPUs, but mobile GPUs.

MBPs use mobile CPUs and GPUs.

12. PoppaKap macrumors regular

How much less powerful is a comparable quad core rMBP with an imac? Luos much difference does that mobile CPU make.

13. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

I really need my computer to be portable. Otherwise I always loved iMacs more than the macbook line.

14. Bear macrumors G3

You should back up your system to an external drive.

Different generation of processors, also desktop versus laptop processor.

15. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

16. mikesjo macrumors regular

What are you spec'ing the iMac at to make it > $3250? That's almost 3x what the base model is. Do you need that much power for whatever is you're doing?

17. 2IS macrumors 68030

Haswell rMBP is taking so long to be released, and there's no sign it will be introduced during the October 22nd event that soon I'll considering waiting for Broadwell!

18. PDFierro macrumors 68040

No sign? I'll raise you a Haswell rMBP in less than two weeks.

19. tecknik1 macrumors member

The new MacBook well not be released in 2 weeks, there has been nothing in this regard not even a blimp or a wiper.

Everyone sitting on the fence waiting for a new MBP or RMBP should just go get what you want and enjoy it and be happy. 90% of the users never use a computer to its full potential in the 1st place.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've seen it listed on a couple of rumor sites. And we're already through 1/3 of October, Apple will have to release a new model retina in time for the holiday buying season.

It's widely believed that Apple will release 10.9 on the 22nd, so they'll probably either release or announced haswell rMBP at the same time.

21. Serban Suspended

no, he is right. the MBP haswell will be out on 22 october

22. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Don't get your hopes up about rMBP release on the 22nd. It's 100% based on rumors - just like the WWDC rMBP release.

I really wish people can differentiate between fact and fiction. Just because something is rumored to happen does not mean it will.

23. Serban Suspended

rumors about WWDC rMBp said that will be NOT on the event..

24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

So I can feel free to come back to this post on the 22nd?

25. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Not this rumor?