New iMac Replacement silent

Discussion in 'iMac' started by khakilad, Jun 25, 2011.

1. khakilad macrumors member

Well after much debate with my new 27 i7 and the noise of the HDD I decided to return for new one from Apple.

I don't know what they've done in the space of 3 weeks but the new machine is silent. The last one you could hear the fans etc, but this new one is dead silent even when reading from the HDD.

The fan speeds are exactly the same.

Anyone else seen this on a RMA'ed iMac?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple uses various HD brands so might be an HD from other brand than in your first iMac.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

4. lantree macrumors member

Same as mind, i was getting quite worried how silent these machines are next to my old pc

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

How silent is silent to you?

I guess you could say that my iMac is silent compared to another computer. However, I do hear the fans move as they probably should as while they're idling. And I do hear the hard drive move when it's supposed to. Or is that no silent enough?

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

your room could be very quiet.
    your hearing could be very good.

or your machine may be louder.
    you need a sound meter and a good one to get an accurate idea of how loud your machine is.

7. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I have to put my ear to the iMac to hear the fans.

Super silent!

8. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Yes.
    Yes.

Possibly.

It's possible that you may not have my superhuman hearing nor is your room as quiet as mine. It may also be possible that your machine is quieter than mine is.

9. mollgasse macrumors newbie

which hdd is installed in the new imac? 1tb or 2tb? mine is noisy too ... even after replacement!! :-o
    I have a 2tb hitachi.

thanks

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Now this begs the question of how noisy is noisy? And what kind of noise is it making?

11. mollgasse macrumors newbie

constant spinning noise and grumbling reading noise ...
    could be very annoying in a silent room.

12. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I'd classify 10 decibels as dead silent because you can't hear it over your breathing, 20 decibels is still very quiet, and 30 I suppose is still quiet. remember that you are supposed to sit like 1.5x the monitor size so for a 27" screen you should sit a little further than a metre or for us Americans about 40"

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Hitachi HDD are known for lage capacity and being noisy. Unfortunate that Hitachi doesn't seem to care about QC because if they did they would NOT be shipping these to Apple which is one of their bigger customers.

14. mollgasse macrumors newbie

I can hear it on the other side of my room. :confused:

from the apple site:
    Typical acoustical performance
    Sound pressure level (operator position): 18 dBA at idle

so that's why I think my new imac is louder than it should be.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I bought a 2009-model i7 27" iMac from the Apple Store a couple years ago, brought it home, and it turned out it had this ear-piercing "dog whistle" noise that was like a very high pitched electronic squeal. My ears were very sensitive to this noise (It was giving me a headache), so I returned it the next day, and got an Apple Gift Card and purchased a Mac Pro instead.

16. Norne, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

Norne macrumors member

Surprising information

Are you able to provide a foundation for these claims, the first one(s) in particular?

17. atMac macrumors 6502

I just got my iMac and it is just as quiet as my MacBook Pro. I also have 2 external 2TB drives, and a room fan on most the time.=, so a bit of noise is expected. However later today after I get all my files over I will turn off the fan and the external drives to see how loud the iMac is. but I don't expect to really hear anything.

It has the 1TB Western Digital HDD.

18. tobypb macrumors member

I'm amazed how silent my iMac is. I've been using noisy PC's for years and cant' tell you how much of an important feature of the Mac its silence is, I find it hard to tell if it is on when the screen goes blank. Having a SSD helps in this respect I think though.

19. Nyalotha macrumors member

Yeah if you can hear it across the room, I'd go in and see if you can replace it. I have my hear to mine and I hear a SLIGHT humming. But even sitting a reasonable distance away in a silent room, no sound coming out of this baby.

20. nochnia macrumors member

So can you guys tell already what discs are quite and which ones aren't?

21. Scarrus macrumors regular

Same here, my 2010 iMac is dead silent, whatever you do with it you just can't hear the damn thing :D

22. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

I have a Hitachi as well - I can hear it rumbling from to time. Not as bad as my old PC but still noticeable.

However my iMac has a noticeable fan noise - or maybe hard drive? Can't tell - constant drone.

23. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Anybody else encountered the high pitched, high frequency "dog whistle" noise issue? Again, I had this on a 27" iMac.

24. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

These threads and threads like this on the Apple support forum vex me. I can hear the fans in my mid-2010 27 inch i5, and I keep debating whether to take it in or not. The noise isn't excessive, but this thing certainly isn't silent the way my C2D 24 inch was.

I've reset the PRAM and the SMU, and I still hear the buggers.

It vexes me because they aren't that loud, but I don't want to hear them at all, and then I feel so picky. Bleh.

It would be a good work out to lug it in, though. I can count it as my exercise for the day.

25. MR.Raul macrumors regular

MR.Raul

Had it on 4 2010 iMacs, so waited and bought the 2011.
    But after a while I noticed it was on this 2011 iMac as well, not as bad, but still.
    And it vary, sometime more and sometimes less.
    But 14 days have passed, so can't be bothered, cause they "can't" fix it.