Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
Apple has a 14-day return policy. If they were to release a new iMac right after the back-to-school promotion ended on Sept. 21, they'd probably have many more returns to contend with than usual. So, I'd say at least two, and probably three or four weeks after the 21st, which would be the 3rd or 4th week in October.

sadly i do agree =[but then again how many people actually know that there is a new iMac? how many actually care? So maybe it won't be too bad and we could still see an earlier release.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I don't think they weigh the return policy into consideration when deciding upon a release date. Even with the whole Back to School promo. They're already making like 50% profit off of everything they sell as it is. Anything that gets returned will eventually hit the refurb store and still turn a huge profit.

Keep in mind that most people do not follow sites like these.

EphraimShay

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Prepared to wait

Well ... I've sort of waited for 9 years, but I think that fairly soon I need to say a sad goodbye to my G4 1MHz 17in ... some things really do take a while now.
A few weeks' wait won't hurt, though, and I'm not biting my nails down to the bone.
Chill, people ...

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Apple has a 14-day return policy. If they were to release a new iMac right after the back-to-school promotion ended on Sept. 21, they'd probably have many more returns to contend with than usual. So, I'd say at least two, and probably three or four weeks after the 21st, which would be the 3rd or 4th week in October.

But the 21st would allow them to price discriminate in a unique way. People trying to return their old iMac for the new one would lose their educational discount.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy

Apple has a 14-day return policy for people buying stuff in a Apple Store or on line store : do you really think they're selling millions of iMac per day now ? People who would return their machines are people who know that a new iMac is arriving, but people like this is now waiting, not buying ! The very few guys buying now probably don't care or won't bother returning the iMac 2011 they bought (if they can find it, as it has become more and more difficult to find one)

Last edited:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Apple has a 14-day return policy for people buying stuff in a Apple Store or on line store : do you really think they're selling millions of iMac per day now ? People who would return their machines are people who know that a new iMac is arriving, but people like this is now waiting, not buying ! The very few guys buying now probably don't care or won't bother returning the iMac 2011 they bought (if they can find it, as it has become more and more difficult to find one)

Good point. This is a non issue for apple at the moment. If they would care about returns to this extent they could not release a new product until all current models are gone for 2 weeks.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
With the amount of iPhones they are selling I almost would expect their manufacturing resources to be tapped out for quite a while. iPhones are already pushed back 3-4 weeks. Plus I am sure they want their staff focusing on selling / helping with phones for a while. Tbh I think they iMac is just on the bottom of their list. They can sell way more iPhones pods pads and MacBooks so why even mess with the iMac if it's going to take up valuable manufacturing resources.

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK

I think you are absolutely spot on with this. Why would Apple give themselves a return problem by releasing new iMacs before then? That would be daft and would also lead to them having to offer better than usual discounts in the refurb store to clear the stock.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Well atleast it indicates that it is going to be really "soon" they advised me to wait and said that they hoped I woudn't be disappointed.

Of course a low stock doesn't mean everything but the thing is that, if you look at the market you will realize that it is important for them to do an update since there are many people that are counting days and will switch out apple for other brands. Of course their customers are loyal but that doesn't mean that people will be waiting forever to get a new fresh iMac.

And also there are some big differences between iphone 5 release and this.
iPhone 5 is so big that if you work as a customer support you will get questions every single day, which shows that this product is excatly what the custumers want.

I think there won't be any event, I vote for a silent update and perhabs everyone should hope it will be that way because that means it can occur almost anytime without notice : )

So they pull something out of the air and you believe them? It shows nothing, they know nothing. All they know is what they have probably seen on rumour sites like this.

Are you serious? 90% of people won't know how old the current iMac is. If they want a new computer or need a need computer they will buy it.

What has an iMac release got to do with the iPhone 5 release?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

I don't think they're selling millions, but they're probably moving more of the current iMacs than they would if the school promotion weren't in effect. I agree that most of those buyers aren't hardcore types (like us) who read rumor sites and know what's coming at least a few days in advance. But, depending on how Apple announces the new iMac, I suspect that some percentage of them would hear about it within the 14 day return period and return their iMac.

Truth is, I hope I'm wrong about this - I'm as anxious for a new iMac as the next guy, because I need to replace a dying 2006 iMac. Time will tell, though.

rickard1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
So they pull something out of the air and you believe them? It shows nothing, they know nothing. All they know is what they have probably seen on rumour sites like this.

Are you serious? 90% of people won't know how old the current iMac is. If they want a new computer or need a need computer they will buy it.

What has an iMac release got to do with the iPhone 5 release?

Well if we're lucky they realize that some customers needs both of these products and if that is the fact then it isn't impossible that they release iMac today or tomorrow to be able to "stock" themselved up when the iPhone 5 is launched.

Be positive instead of negative!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.