New iMac with a dead pixel...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aquanutz, Aug 12, 2007.

1. aquanutz macrumors regular

So I just got back with my new 2.4ghz iMac and I noticed that I have a dead pixel on the right side of the lcd... What is apple's return policy? If I haul this back will they swap it out for me? I'd call but they are closed right now. :(

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

They won't swap it for a single dead pixel. I guess you'll have to suck it up and deal with it like every one else.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Are you sure it's a dead pixel, not just stuck? 1pixel isn't the policy, but if you ask nice and complain about spending that much money to get a dead pixel, you could get lucky.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

This kind of thinking pisses me off. The computer doesn't function any less with a single dead/stuck pixel. You got what you paid for, a very nice, working, and fully functional computer. And please...don't pull this "if you got a scratch on your new Mercedes car you'd be pissed to" because I realize that I don't spend my time looking at the exterior of my car, I spend time driving/using it.

5. aquanutz thread starter macrumors regular

So thinking like a practical consumer pisses you off? You've got issues. They don't advertise the iMac (or any other machine) by saying that there is a possibility that you could have defects in the LCD.

If you want to be technical, yes, it does function less. The screen is supposed to have a certain amount of functioning pixels. You don't buy a machine and in fine print have "While it has x amount of pixels, only a certain amount may work." Purchasing a computer should not be like playing the lottery, you shouldn't have to pray to god that you don't have a screen with little dots all over it.

I actually just found another dead pixel as I was typing this. I just spent $1800 dollars on this machine (and printer and an iPod) and I will open a dispute with Amex if they don't swap this out.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Read the fine print first before attempting to dispute a charge on account of one or two dead pixels.

Every manufacturer has a standard of acceptability for pixels on an LCD, no manufacturer guarantees a defect-free LCD (Samsung was rumored to have an exchange policy on their LCD panels, but this was apparently only in Korea)

Apple's policy

"With the millions of subpixels on a display, it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--not just Apple products."

For better or worse: That is what you bought for your money.

7. VOGUEx macrumors newbie

my macbook has a dead/stuck pixel . just one. it's like red. it's very annoying. it's a shame they won't do anything about it. i read that a lot of apple computer products have some sort of problem.

8. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Sure they do. So do all other computer manufacturers. A zero dead-pixel policy is the exception, not the rule.
    Okay, but you'll lose, and then it'll just cost you more. They haven't provided you with a defective product, and Amex probably doesn't want their time wasted.
    Anything with an LCD above a certain number of pixels has this problem.

The market wants lower prices, and it's willing to tolerate some imperfection to do it. This is a standard practice with everything complex. Your CPU is almost guaranteed to have a defect somewhere in it--it'll never matter, but it's there.

The process of manufacturing LCDs means that despite rigorous quality control, a certain number of broken subpixels will get through. There is no way to replace a single pixel after the panel has been constructed, and discarding the entire assembly would drive prices up. With two red pixels on a 20" iMac, that's a failure rate of 0.0000003%. There's almost nothing in modern manufacturing with that level of precision (a billiard ball has greater spherical deviation, for example).

9. mothergoose45 macrumors member

Im with the OP. If my new $2200 Imac comes with dead pixels back it goes. I have had 2 dell 19" LCD's at home, 1 dell 19" and 6 cheap ass walmart Lcd's at work and none of them have had a dead pixel.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Your logic is silly. They don't advertise cars by saying there is a possibility that they may get a flat tire either...but $%&* happens :rolleyes:

Good luck with that AMEX dispute. BTW, I'm ALSO sick of this "I spent x amount of money on this and it should be perfect". Dude, I've spent $30,000 on Apple gear over the last year alone, which dwarfs your piddly $1800 and I've had dead/stuck pixels. You don't see me crying about it. It doesn't make me any better than any other customer. I don't expect any better service based on the amount of money I've spent.

You've just been lucky. Have fun eating that restocking fee if you send it back.

11. erandall38 macrumors 6502

APPLE WILL REPLACE IT.
    At least they always have when I have seen this happen.
    To all who are posting and complaining that he does not want a stuck pixel, have any of you ever had this problem before with Apple and nicely asked Apple what they can do???
    I have see more than one computer go back because of ONE STUCK pixel.
    You paid for a quality product it should come out perfect.

Apple's pixel policy is to protect themselves against ignorant jerks who come into apple stores or call Apple care screaming and making a scene. In most cases if you come in calmly and explain the situation, your views of it, and be fair, they WILL help you.

I also had a bad pixel on my new iMac, one stuck pixel. I called the Apple store explained to them the machine was great, but considering the money I spent, a less than perfect LCD does not seem fair. There response in every on stuck/dead pixel case I have seen is always the same, as long as it is within 14 days, "Were really sorry about that, bring it back into the store and we will replace it with a new one"
    I just returned mine yesterday for a brand new one, stuck pixel free.

edit: this has nothing to do with crying or being lucky. Apple takes care of their customers. It bewilders me that you have spent 30,000 in Apple gear in a year and have to clue that they take care of things like this.....?
    Movie Cutter you obviously have many macs to play with and a dead/stuck pixel to you is nothing, but to us mortals who can only afford ONE mac it is our pride and joy and surprisingly that one tiny pixel sure sticks out a damn lot. To the OP, call your local Apple store or Apple care if you bought it online, they will take care of you, you will be happy.

12. Verist macrumors member

I'm buying a Mac Pro and 30 inch cinema display from the Apple Store in a few days, I have already asked them what would happen if it has a dead pixel(s). They said bring it back and they would swap it out. Than again, I'm spending 5 Grand for a year old machine :) (damn you Apple for no update on the 7th!) They had better!

13. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

OK, so somehow you finagle the iMac to be returned. What happens when you boot up your replacement and you now have another dead pixel, or worse, you have 2 dead pixels.

Get on with using your iMac to accomplish the task you intended it for, you will be no less productive as long as you stay focused on being productive.

This type of behavior cost all of us. The cost is passed on to the consumer. I cringe when I read all of the post on MacRumors about how someone is returning a product for reasons that are truly extreme and in some cases outright fraud.

We all want things to be nice & free of defects when we make a new purchase, we also have to accept that we do not live in a perfect world.

14. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

If your buying it in a couple of days, than you are buying a new machine unless it is used. Until Apple releases a new version of the Mac Pro, you are buying the latest/current Mac Pro. There might be new technology, faster processors, or new materials. Until Apple adopts these & implements them into a new Mac Pro, you have the latest & greatest.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

after having 2 nearly DOA iMacs in january the third had a dead pixel - I booted it up at the genius bar before bringing it home and it had a red stuck pixel. they swapped it for me. i think apple is an exception because you're really paying a premium for premium products! a dead pixel can ruin the entire display because you'll always be focusing on it. I would be firm with apple care in asking for a replacement, but very polite. if they refuse, I would contact AMEX without a doubt. and I don't think you guys should be so hard on the OP.

It's a real bummer to have problems right out of the box...especially when you're expecting near perfection. I also don't think we should have to play the apple lottery (or the ________ lottery (any other brand), for that matter).

I hope you get the replacement!

16. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Especially when writing on a white document.. Or watching a widescreen movie w/ a lit or stuck red pixel on the top.. Ouch.

17. Heeriill macrumors newbie

Does Apple pay you to spread your retarded teachings?

18. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

That is a bit extreme. The stuff people try and pull off here is ridiculous. One pixel is not the end of the world. Apples policy is there for you to read. From an ethics standpoint you should not rail Apple because of your inability to read and understand their policy. It is no mystery that LCDs can have dead pixels. And the bigger the display the higher the chance is. I bought 2 24" displays, out of 9,216,000 pixels I have one stuck pixel. Even then it is a subpixel (the 9,216,000 is complete pixels, not subpixels which would be a much larger number) that only shows on a certain shade of gray. Big whoop. I am not about to go whine about it. Because I got two fantastic products.

If the OP got a 24" that means that out of 2,304,000 pixels there is one that is stuck. If it is the 20" that means 1 out of 1,782,000. That should but this into perspective.

Will Apple replace it? Most likely, because they are generally good about that stuff. Should you do it? I don't think so. It costs everyone in the end.

I love this "premium" crap too. When someone says Macs are too expensive most people here cry and say "But they are not that much more expensive, and you get iLife and Mac OS!" etc etc. But when something goes wrong its "I paid a premium for this thing, it better be perfect!" I really hope some of you read that and understand how ridiculous it is.

19. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Being polite will do you wonders. I had one dead pixel in my MB, and I called Apple and asked if there was anything that they could do, and they simply sent me a return label, and overnight me another one as soon as my MB was checked into the FedEx system.

Absolutely no complaints here. I was completely taken care of.

20. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

If I bought a car and had it hauled home and discovered it had a flat tire I'd be a bit disappointed too. I don't see anything wrong with bringing the problem up. Just see what they say :)

allison.

21. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Apple doesn't consider one dead pixel an issue.

I'd be bummed too, but this isn't limited to the new iMac. It crops up periodically on all LCD models.

22. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Absolutely. There's a reason they're top-rated for customer satisfaction, and it's not just the kool-aid.

It's always satisfying to watch when they shoot down angry people with irrational demands, though. People will generally do what they can to help if you go about it the right way. It's when people start expecting the rules to be broken for them that the trouble begins.

23. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Absolutely. There's a reason they're top-rated for customer satisfaction, and it's not just the kool-aid.

It's always satisfying to watch when they shoot down angry people with irrational demands, though. People will generally do what they can to help if you go about it the right way. It's when people start expecting the rules to be broken for them that the trouble begins.

24. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

This analogy with a flat tire on a car is completely flawed because you can fix a flat tire (and an exterior scratch for that matter). If an LCD pixel is dead or stuck it can't be fixed, so it's an issue for the life of the machine.

However, I'd agree with most of the constructive points here. Call Apple and be reasonable and polite. It seems ridiculous that people have to be reminded to act like this. If they start messing you about, then it's time to be a bit more firm.

25. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

Regardless of their official policy and what anyone else claims on this thread, you can get Apple to replace any machine because of a dead pixel. I have had many machines replaced by Apple because of single dead or stuck pixels, both over the phone and in store. Nearly every time they have been apologetic that I received a machine with a dead pixel in the first place, and replaced it no problem. Once or twice they have said something like "a single pixel is within specification", but I have simply replied "well I can't use it with any dead pixels" and then they have replaced it.

Honestly, if dead pixels bother you then why wouldn't you try to get it changed? I hate dead pixels, and Apple have replaced every single machine I've had with a dead pixel. Let people moan that it's within spec all they want, but we're the ones using absolutely perfect displays while they are continually annoyed by their constantly bright or dark dots.