Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

what will you do?

• throw or sell the old imac and buy the new imac

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • upgrade some option (eg. graphic card, strage, memory... ect)

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My old imac is great for me, no need to waist any money

Votes: 63 63.6%
  • i hate mac's because there better than pc in everything, lool :)

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Retired
May 16, 2006
Just to clarify, do we know if this is Montevina?

My mum is saving to buy one, but if its Montevina at least I'll know that its the latest tech, that will last her a very long time (no way she needs more specs than the old model, but we get the HE discount on the new one and it needs to last a long time). Either way, she's desperate for a new computer, and her Dell is basically finished.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
You forgot the "I wouldn't buy an integrated monitor / cpu ever, ever. Ever." option.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The last update is a great improvement.
the 3.06 + nVidia power and you got yourself a awesome graphic design machine.
I returned my 2.4 24" today and got the 3.06 ans **** the difference is big :D
Rendering times are faster and the nvidia is doing awesome job.
I'm happy. No.. Actually I am very happy :D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I like to get a new computer, run it down to the ground, and replace it every few years (same thing with cars). The 2.8 I got last year was actually more computer than I needed especially for home (I maxed the processor speed maybe only once during the whole time I owned it), but I bought it new and with Applecare. Also charged it to Amex so it'll get a total of four years of protection. So I'm unconcerned about any updates in the next three years, although I'm happy that the iMac got a nice boost for those who need to buy it now.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I guess I'll keep my "old" 3-month iMac--LOL I could have waited of course, but then I would be 3-months behind on my transition from PC to Mac--so I'm pretty happy with the iMac I have. :)

James Howlett

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Abbotsford
Upgrading from a 2.08 Ghz single core AMD with integrated graphics, 80 gig HDD running windows on a 15" monitor..

so yeah, this is a huge update for me.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
My only disappointment is in the fact that the only real "upgrade" is to the top of the line model.

Even if I had waited instead of buying the 20" refurb I would not have jumped to the 24" top end model.

The difference between the 20" 2.4 of old and the new 20" is negligible if that making the refurb an even more attractive buy IMO.

This was my opinion on it. And if you like the 24" display, the 24" 2.4 is $1400 refurb now, from what I saw on the Apple store. $100 less than the new 2.66 20". Seems like a deal to me.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
This was a pretty solid upgrade considering it was only "speedbump" update and not a redesign. A bit surprised the standard HD space wasn't increased, but still a quality upgrade. Not at all surprised Blu-Ray is still not an option, either. People need to get a grip with that.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Yes. The new CPUs use a 1066MHz FSB and the memory speed is now 800MHz. Both of these are available only with Montevina.

You know, I've heard people speculate that this is Montevina, but I've read a few articles where folks in "the know" claim that it is still Penryn. I personally don't know but just wanted to report that reasonable minds are still differing on this issue.

ROFISH

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Yes. The new CPUs use a 1066MHz FSB and the memory speed is now 800MHz. Both of these are available only with Montevina.

No. As has been reported on the front page of this website, it's just an overclocked Santa Rosa/Penryn combo to Montevina/Penryn speeds. It does not provide the new Montevina toys. (Like WiMax.)

alam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Saudi Arabia
wish to every one good luck for the new imac, but i'm gonna wait until a really big change with the imac.
like a new redesigned imac. :cool:
a new type of processor in the few next 2-3 years ;), maybe they will call it "apple inside" lool :p

and for the games..... i'll stick to my xbox :p

good luck for anyone who's gonna buy the new imac ;)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Our current iMacs are from the last variation.

Both are 24", 2.4Ghz.

Would I sell one of them to buy one of the new ones?

No, that would not be wise.

What I might do is buy one of the new ones, the high end model and retire one of our older G4 Powermacs. I'd keep the new one for me and pass one of the 2.4Ghz one down to one of my children.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
You guy's need to stop bitching about the iMac updgrade, it was a lot better than the last Mac Pro one.

You get the same amount of Ram and the same or bigger HD, stop biatching.

Be grateful Apple cares more about consumer machines than it does it's pro business.

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
I thought it was a good update... so good infact I rushed straight out and got the top of the lone one and very pleased I am with it :D Though I was I was at home with my mits on it rather than stuck at work.

ukmacmonster

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
I think it's a reasonable update and the top line 24" is a pretty big update if you're a gamer or 3D designer.

Let's be realistic here. If you already owned the previous gen alu iMac from Aug 2007, it would not be cost effective to upgrade now to this tweaked version. But if you have a much older gen iMac eg. G4 / G5, this is as good a time as any to upgrade to the latest spec.

Anyway it was enough of a step to finally convince me to retire my G5 iMac.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
well the poll judges that most of the users choose to stick to there old imac and not throw it away :eek:

if there was a really big difference then they would chosen the first option: "buy the new imac and throw the old imac"

am i right about this........
i'm not saying that the new imac sucks, nooooooo it really cool, i can finally play some really good games with it :rolleyes: , but it's not worth to pay 1799$ or if i want the 8800gs nvidia then i should pay 150$ so it's 1949$ and without nvidia crysis game will sucks :p
i can keep my old imac and stick to my xbox, and here i'm, didn't waist a dollar for it :D

i'm i right or wrong???? :rolleyes:

know that what i call a worth to buy :D
good luck my friend ;) but for me, i think i'm gonna stick to my imac 24 inch 2.4 ghz, until maybe in the future after 4 to 5 years a new processor will be evented :rolleyes:

i hope that they will call it the apple inside processor :D lloooooll
This is such a spectacularly stupid thread. You don't seem to grasp the concept of an update to a product line verses a full refresh/new product. Your poll doesn't prove squat.

:confused: :rolleyes:

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I chose "My old imac is great for me, no need to waist any money " only because waste was spelt wrong :D

ukmacmonster

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
This is such a spectacularly stupid thread. You don't seem to grasp the concept of an update to a product line verses a full refresh/new product. Your poll doesn't prove squat.

:confused: :rolleyes:

I agree. Whether or not it's worth upgrading depends entirely on how out-dated your existing machine is. I'm upgrading from a 3+ year old G5, so this is now clearly a good time to go for it. Certainly a better time than last week!

PCNot

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Who cares what the poll says ... My new IMAC will be at my doorstep on Friday! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I got my iMac in August 2007 when they introduced the aluminum ones. It is way to soon for me to even consider getting rid of it. I might pick up a new one later this year, if I can afford it financially.

jlchee

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Ecuador
It sure sounds pathetic to hear what some of these posts are complaining about. One gets speed bumps, better video card, more memory, faster bus speed and all for the same price range. Just goes to show why some species eat their young. I would consider selling m,y new iMac for around the same price I paid and purchase a new one just for the experience of "keeping up" with the product. I couldn't be happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.