Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Bear said:
The 56K Modem is useful for faxing. And not everyone has access ro ADSl yet in the US (and other countries.)

Also, depending on the ADSL provider is what format ADSL modem/adapter you would need - there are at least 2 or 3 standards in use in the US alone, never mind the rest of the world might be using. It's not a can of worms that a computer manufacturer wants to get into. And what happens if someone moves and they have to switch providers to one using a different standard?

Point taken about the different types of ADSL. Have never had any success with the Mac fax. I find the phone fax more reliable.

I only got BBand about a month a go my self due to location. What a difference! Those of you without access to an ADSL connection get intouch with you local provider and give them an ear bashing. One voice can be ignored 1000's can't. Power to the people! :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
asif786 said:
i'm glad apple's keeping up with the times. but i do feel bad for people that bought imacs and emacs at the tiger launch.
Apple does have their "10-day price guarantee." I wonder if that applies here - where you could return or upgrade to the new devices without penalty?

We've been considering a second iMac, and with these upgrades we may just jump in and do it. Nice.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Yvan256 said:
You need to have an active phone line to get DSL

in europe this is illegal. if you are a telephone company, you will have to let dsl carriers rent your phone lines, and if you are a dsl carrier you do not have to be a telephone company ;) i myself have a dsl connection and have not had telephone line for ages.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Jawbreaker said:
Great updates! I was thinking I would trick out the middle model, but thanks to the price cut and the wireless options being standard, I could afford the 20", sweet!

Who ever said 'size doesn't matter' was a total lier :D

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
What will happen to the single PowerMac G5. I just bought an LCD screen and contemplated that my next mac will be a powermac, but this update just ruins it all. The new 1.8 Ghz iMac is cheaper and comes with more features + a screen. the 2.0 is slightly more expensive but is fully loaded

1,8-GHz PowerMac G5
600-MHz "frontside"-bus
256 MB DDR400 SDRAM
80-GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64 MB DDR-videoram
Eur 1.439,00

1,8-GHz iMac G5
17-inch LCD
600-MHz "frontside"-bus
512 MB DDR400 SDRAM
160-GB Serial ATA
Combo drive
ATI Radeon 9600
128 MB DDR-videoram
Eur 1.299,00

2-GHz iMac G5
17-inch LCD
667-MHz "frontside"-bus
512 MB DDR400 SDRAM
160-GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
ATI Radeon 9600
128 MB DDR-videoram
Eur 1.499,00

The single Powermac just seems completely off right now

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
All right! Now a computer that costs half as much is faster and better than my top of the line 17" powerbook. What a great company. Maybe they should just put the iMac in the "pro" line.

Steven

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Blue Velvet said:
I'm very pleased for you. I know you've been waiting on this for a while and it means you'll get a 'new' machine on your desk as well. :)

Thanks you for remembering, BV. Yeah, I'm happy this finallly came about. I knew if it didn't I'd just wait one more week (again). Glad we can finally throw these old G3's to the curb. Or maybe make a slooow Folding farm... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson's wife willl no doubt be pleased, too. I know she has been wanting a new iMac.

MustardMan

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
My gf will love this

She's been waiting for an imac for a while, and will be psyched about the great value in the new 20" imac. I just bought the new dual 2.0 and a 23 inch cinema display. While it's not quite as good a value as the imac, I'm still happy with the purchase. The extra processor, expandability, and larger ram capacity make it worthwhile for me. Then again, I do scientific programming for a living so I actually stand to gain from this stuff. I would have been DAMN excited if the powermac updates added the kind of value these imac updates did though!

kkrista

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
New Jersey
Very nice updates. There is, however, one thing that really bothers me about the update. I just bought one of the new Power Macs. I'd really like to understand why Bluetooth and the Airport Extreme card are standard on the iMacs, but are an upgrade on the Power Macs. A little bit disappointing. :(

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Pricing question:

I agree, nice updates!

Could someone price the following out for me (for whatever reason, the store pages don't render correctly for me at work) (All US prices)

1. 17" Superdrive with 1Gig RAM and applecare (EDU pricing)?

2. 20" with 1Gig RAM and applecare (EDU Pricing)?

3. 20" with 2 GIG RAM and applecare (EDU Pricing)?

Thanks,

alywa

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
aaronsullivan said:
I'll just chime in and say incredible iMac update. Sadly, it makes the PM G5's even more dismal looking. Hmm, wonder why they didn't announce them both on the same day? :rolleyes:

Totally agree. I think the PMs are a scandal - so overpriced for their specs. The single 1.8GHz model is a sick joke at a thousand quid for so-called pro hardware. Real shame they didn't reduce the PMs prices or I would have bought some. As it is I'll be going for these new iMacs now. I really cannot understand why Apple is dropping the ball so badly with the pro offerings.

jharju

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2005
Great update from Apple but there is something I would like to write. I have rev A 1.8 iMac G5 with lousy 5200 Ultra gfx card and rev B models comes no with Ati Radeon 9600. Many has asked how much better it really is. First I admit it IS better but in my opinion not enough.

Ati Radeon 9600, 9600pro and 9600XT are Different cards. 9600 is so much slower than for example pro and XT is a bit better than Pro. Normal 9600 is just 4pipeline card with low core and memory speed.

I know you should not compare PC and Mac cards but Tomshardware has made really great article and compared bunch of card in different games and programs and you know what? Normal 9600 isnt much better than 5200 ultra. You dont believe? See for yourself.

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

Thats all about GFX card. How about noise problem that Rev. A iMac has? I really hope that Apple has fixed this.
:)

Overall very positive update, atleast better than powemac updates.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
alywa said:
I agree, nice updates!

Could someone price the following out for me (for whatever reason, the store pages don't render correctly for me at work) (All US prices)

1. 17" Superdrive with 1Gig RAM and applecare (EDU pricing)?

2. 20" with 1Gig RAM and applecare (EDU Pricing)?

3. 20" with 2 GIG RAM and applecare (EDU Pricing)?

Thanks,

alywa
No Problem!

1. $1630
2. $1930
3. $2245

Good luck with your choice! I'm looking at a baseline 20" myself. I have been jonesing for a powerboor or ibook, but now.... I dunno!

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Thanks Aaon!

Those are nice prices for the specs. Looks like the Amex card is gonna take a beating!

-alywa

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
This is great! I can hopefully get one by the end of the summer now. Apple has the best education discounts that I know of. ^_^

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I can't understand why they didn't make BT and Airport standard on the Original Line of this Model.

These two features alone make me wanna sell my 20". Anyone interested in the iMac in my Sig?

germ war

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Saint Paul, MN
You know it's a good update when the only thing people have to complain about is that they're paying for a dial-up modem they're not going to use. ;)

kkrista

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
New Jersey
Very nice updates. There is, however, one thing that really bothers me about the update. I just bought one of the new Power Macs. I'd really like to understand why Bluetooth and the Airport Extreme card are standard on the iMacs, but are an upgrade on the Power Macs. A little bit disappointing. :(

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
sigh, I don't have the newest iMac anymore...it's a pretty good update in my opinion, too. oh well, I'm still glad I switched and bought mine back in January rather than waiting 5 months for the update...

Mausabiest

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Germany
Single Powermac way overpriced

The single Powermac just seems completely off right now[/QUOTE]

I agree, I think they just can skip the single Powermac now or lower the price by about 300$ at least. The 20' should be a great mashine. Nice update.

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.