Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emulator

macrumors 6502a
jalain said:
I'm very impressed with the features included in the new iMac. I was hoping to see that the Superdrive was updated to 16X. Instead it's still 8X, but with double layer support. What does double layer support mean? Does that make it faster?

Thanks
Dual format: +/-R
Double layer: 2x4.7Gig

In reality though, DL media is still very expensive, not worth the money imo.

VideoHelp

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
cubedco said:
instead, i bought a cinema display and now waiting for the right powermac to buy.

so for $3,000 -- i get an iMac + one extra processor. Since when does a G5 chip cost a grand?
I see. I agree - the PM lineup is weak from a value point of view. The dual-2.3's and dual 2.7's (especially) will perform better, but most people won't see much if any difference between a new 20" iMac and a dual-2.0 (default specs) and 20" display. Certainly not $1000 worth of difference.

Of course, I suspect PM upgrades soon - even though they were just upgraded.

rsamo

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2005
Any word if these are showing up in Apple stores yet. I called the Houston store and no sign of them. I've been waiting too long. Can't wait any longer. Unless of course there is a store with no Texas Sales Tax and the EDU discount. Anybody know of one?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
wordmunger said:
How many did it have before? I'm sure the 2 1.1 ports are on the keyboard -- sorta cheating, since the keyboard uses one of the 2.0 ports.

Sorta, but not really.

If you had a keyboard with no USB ports and a box with 5 USB ports, after plugging in the keyboard you'd have four USB ports open. In the current setup, after plugging in the keyboard you have four USB ports open.

Differences:
1 - The USB port taken by the keyboard is one of the USB 2 ports, even though you'll only use the USB 1.1 (or 1.0) data rates.
2 - The keyboard is a BTO replaceable item; if you go BT you lose two ports.

In any case, don't moan about USB ports. Buy a little hub and get on with life!

BTW, this is the same USB setup as the previous models (3 USB 2 on the back, 2 USB 1.1 on the keyboard).

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Just ordered by phone-- the US store was throwing server errors.

Now, I will need to sell my (pristine) maxed-out 20" that I bought last September for $3400 including AppleCare.

What's a good price for EBay?

rsamo

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2005
jettredmont said:
Sorta, but not really.

If you had a keyboard with no USB ports and a box with 5 USB ports, after plugging in the keyboard you'd have four USB ports open. In the current setup, after plugging in the keyboard you have four USB ports open.

Differences:
1 - The USB port taken by the keyboard is one of the USB 2 ports, even though you'll only use the USB 1.1 (or 1.0) data rates.
2 - The keyboard is a BTO replaceable item; if you go BT you lose two ports.

In any case, don't moan about USB ports. Buy a little hub and get on with life!

BTW, this is the same USB setup as the previous models (3 USB 2 on the back, 2 USB 1.1 on the keyboard).

Why do I lose two ports if I go BT? I thought BT was internal and I would not lose any ports for my mouse and keyboard. Am I incorrect?

thevessels

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
just when i thought the dual 2 powermac was the best deal there is ...

i dont think the dual processor is enough to convince me anymore

i just might have to splurge .. aaaaaag

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Much better update than expected especially because of the price drop - at least I think there was a price drop. I have always been a PowerMac man but with Gigabit ethernet, that big of a Hard Drive, etc. I am considering buying a couple of these for my business. If Apple wants me to stay with the PowerMac they will at least need to have a Blue Laser drive in the next version.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
SiliconAddict said:
OK so what the hell is left to release at WWDC? Is Steve going to play a game of chess against Bill on stage? Or better yet....

*Steve walks on stage*
*Crickets chirp*

"Ummm we've already debuted all of our new wares a few weeks ago. So instead of my usually speech I thought we would try something new"

*All of Apple's upper execs walk onto stage and they breaks out into a chorus of Gilbert and Sullivan’s HMS Pinafore*

:D

Some good candidates:

1) PowerMac Pro Dual-Dual with CELL chip as Graphics processor & Blue-Ray drive

2) Mac mini with CELL, AV I/O & option w/o Optical drive

3) 17" LCD

4) XGrid Express

5) CELL & XGrid-enabled Pro Apps & QT7

kkrista

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
New Jersey
mauly said:
Why are you moaning here? Us new iMac owners are really happy with this update and don't want you being negative about your New PM.... IMHO there is no need for your post here!!!!

Moaning? Are you serious? Pointing out that Apple made what I consider to be an odd choice that I'm somewhat disappointed in is NOT moaning. I'm sorry that you interpreted it as such; that was very much not my intention. I chose to bring up a point about how the upgrade compares to the Power Mac upgrade -- a point that had not yet been made in this discussion. In doing so I also expressed my disappointment that Apple would choose to make something that is standard on their consumer line an option in their pro line.

greenfluke

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
Alameda, Ca
I agree, the PowerMac should be ashamed of itself. Especially the single 1.8, what would be the point in buying one? That you could upgrad the video card? The new iMac runs circles around around it, and comes with double the RAM. The only reason to buy a PM is to get dual CPUs. Apple needs a dual-core update for the PowerMac G5 in June!

mootpoint

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2004
Speaking as a UK buyer the new specs make this upgrade a steal at the price (£899 combo, £999 superdrive). Wireless, Bluetooth, more ram, more VRAM, speedier, Tiger. And the price has stayed the same for UK buyers!!.

I'm sure all the UK forumites out there look at that price tag, compare it with the "typical" PC World Advent/HP type Windows system and truly appreciate what an absolute bargain this computer is.

A must buy.

k28

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Good news and bad news

Good news is that apple hear customers and make it what they want...but the bad news is i just bought iMac 20" on january....sad

OnaMacSince1989

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Excellent update! Thanks Apple! Before the announcement, I'd been contemplating a new eMac, but now the iMac is a tremendous value! Love the new features. The price drop on the 20" sold me on going all the way! Plus, now an upgrade to 1MB RAM is $100 less and getting the wireless keyboard & mouse upgrade costs half as much too with the standard bluetooth. Been waiting months for this! Placing my order right now! :p

Edit: Order completed! Got a 20" with 1MB RAM and Wireless KB/Mouse and opted for Apple Care for the 1st time. And, I got a nice little corporate affiliate discount (JPMorganChase employee) that's almost as good as the Education discount. Now I just wait on the porch for the UPS guy to show up any second now...any second now... :rolleyes:

Went ahead and picked up an HP PSC 1610 for a spare. It's only about $30 after the $100 rebate with the iMac purchase. Sweet! :D

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
BRILLIANT UPDATES! But Steve has an ace up his sleeve.

These iMac's are way too good for the price compared to the PM's and destroy the Single 1.8G5. But in a way this update is the best news possible for the PowerMac line. You ask why, well this is why.

- The Single 1.8 G5 wasn't updated for a reason - it won't exist after WWDC
- Stevie has a machine that will go into the top of the line and make the line up complete. Why does all the material on the G5 refer to "Dual" all the time with no mention of the 1.8GHZ! It's a gonner, that's why
- This 'Super' PowerMac will drop the price of the others down a price point each. So Dual 2GHZ down to $1499 or maybe $1799, Dual 2.3 to $1999 or $2299 and the 2.7 down to $2499 or $2699
- The top of the line will be $3499 or $3999

It's obvious, Stevie had to brag about the machine, he wasn't going to let it be updated like any normal update.

SUPER IMAC'S = SUPERPOWERMAC'S

WWDC here we go

Remember "CHUD TOOLS 4 PROCESSORS"

Remember the Report on IBM's Website

There is a mystical machine lurking in Cupertino, I can feel it

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Poor screen specs on 17" still

Does no-one notice the screen spec has never been updated from the G4 iMac on the 17" model, 120° / 90° degrees viewing angle is budget quality these days, and the brightness and contrast ratio are not much to write home about either.

The 20" specs have not changed either, but that size screen was introduced when LCD monitors had progressed in quality hence the better specs. I would imagine both the 17" and 20" have slow pixel response, although I do not play games so I have no reference and specs are not given.

Current model specs:
17-inch
Typical viewing angle - 120° h / 90° v
Typical brightness: 200 cd/m
Typical contrast ratio: 400:1

20-inch model
Typical viewing angle - 170° h / 170° v
Typical brightness: 230 cd/m
Typical contrast ratio: 400:1

If anyone has compared the two in the stores you can notice the poor viewing angle and brightness straight away on the 17" model.

I can forgive the contrast ratio on the 20" as the viewing angle and brightness is good, and the outputted image is excellent.

BartoK

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2004
Charlotte, NC
cosmoed said:
When do the stores get them?

The Charlotte, NC store said "by the end of the week". I love the idea of walking into the retail store to buy a new Mac, but I'm not sure I can keep my credit card in the wallet until then!

Anyone have experience with a new product in the store "by the end of the week"? Do they usually have plenty in stock? I'm getting a stock 20", btw.

Side note: kind of shady of Apple to have the big Tiger event on Friday and then drop in such a huge update 4 days later. Thank goodness I waited!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
asif786 said:
wow, i always wonder why people complain when they buy hardware and then apple updates it so soon..i guess now i know..
Anyone complaining about "too soon of an update" doesn't know Apple. Apple is gaining ground by not remaining stagnant with any of their products. Generally 6 months is all any one product is out before it gets some sort of a boost in power; two years or so for a full overhaul. With design becoming so damn good though, it seems hard to see how improvements can be made to enclosures.

With all that Apple has to offer, keeping their products at such high level (be it software or hardware) is quite an accomplishment.

asif786 said:
i bought the middle imac g5 in december, and i still feel like an ass after seeing this update. for the same price, you get a faster processor, bigger hd, more ram, better superdrive, built in AE & BT, and a better video card.
Don't feel that way. Yes, if you would have waited, you would be able to get a better computer now, but what about the updates for the iMac in another 202 days (average time between updates)... would you still feel that way? Yes, you would.

Typically, you've got someone who bought "the top of the line" and they're mainly upset that they have just been usurped, which I think is quite childish.

I don't believe at all this is your feeling. There is quite a difference now in the newest lineup, especially with Tiger and iLife'05 being offered and a proper video card to do it justice. I'm sure that you just wish you would've been able to see this coming. Fortunately for you, you bought at the beginning of a new revision so you've been able to enjoy your purchase without feeling badly for 6 months.

In the future, anytime you feel tempted to plunk down money, just resort to the Buyers Guide here on Macrumors. I love it and study regularly as it helps to understand Apple's release trends.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

asif786 said:
i'm glad apple's keeping up with the times. but i do feel bad for people that bought imacs and emacs at the tiger launch.
That's a healthy attitude. As for those the buyers of iMacs and eMacs at Tiger's launch, it's only been four days. Those computers can be brought back under Apple's price protection policy for either a refund or credit of the difference, and I quote:

Price protection
If Apple reduces the price on any product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you can request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. To request a refund, just fill out the form below."

http://www.apple.com/support/store/postpurchase.html

Lastly, those who bought more than 10 days ago are probably not the sort that does a lot of research into their purchases or they would've waited. Those in "The Know" know what products are due for an update and simply wait it out. Those who don't research the updates and find out if and when to buy probably aren't even aware that the iMac line has just been improved. That, or they really need a computer and just couldn't wait.

Playing the waiting game only can last so long. Finally you have to buy. Just don't be surprised that Apple has to keep shaking things up to stay in the game.

rugonnaeatthat

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
BOUGHT!

I just bought one! 2ghz 20inch only upgrade being the wireless keyboard and mouse. I did the math and reasoned I'd upgrade the RAM later.

More power than I imagined I'd be able to buy for sub $3000AUS, and definitely more screen space! Today is a good day :) I can't wait until it's delivered - 5-7 build time and then 5-7 days delivery! I especially can't wait to get my hands on Tiger!

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN
Really a fantastic update. Only other thing that would have been nice would have been Firewire 800 but really what they've done is quite amazing. Hope the iBooks get as big an upgrade.

rk

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
wow......I have nothing to complain about....:eek: Great updates. Makes you wonder what's going on for wwdc. Pretty much everything has been updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.