New iMacs now on Amazon

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleFan360, May 4, 2011.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Just a heads up. The new iMacs are showing up on Amazon for pre-order.

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

They're also on Macmall.com, which if anybody knows about the site, offer discounted prices for new refreshed iMacs.

How are they able to offer these discounts? I don't know. I've bought iPods for myself and as gifts from the site before. They are reliable.

3. Austinjwalker macrumors member

I was hoping (obviously it wouldn't be this way) that amazon's rate would be cheaper than my PPA discount. Unfortunately, even taking amazon's tax out, shipping makes it a push.

4. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I suspect that is only a "stub" price for the preorder. I got this message when I checked out:

[​IMG]

I have a feeling they will go back down to what they were at before (around $1929-1939, I can't remember exactly).

5. Austinjwalker macrumors member

yea. the PPA discount is about like the student discount in percentage, so I just need to run the math once amazon updates their price.

6. csims macrumors newbie

7. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacMall shows shipping dates of 5-7 days.

It will be interesting to see what happens this week. I am an Amazon Prime member and if they get them in by Friday, I will have mine on Saturday. No tax and $3.99 overnight shipping. Probably faster than MacMall. I would also guess that the prices will come down a bit once Amazon gets stock.

8. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

I have a feeling that if Apple can offer 6% discounts (EPP) to companies that have relationships with them (example, my company provides the customer support for Apple and my wife works for the power company that supplies the utilities to the local store in our state) then I'm sure the online retailers and othe B&M stores are getting the equipment at a discounted price (probably 15% or so lower than MSRP).

Apple has to pay for all those pretty stores somehow and it isn't breaking even on the equipment they sell

9. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

i don't see the i7 option though. Just the i5.

10. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Does Amazon do Saturday delivery with overnight orders on Prime? I too have Prime, but I can't recall ever getting anything on Saturday. Usually I have things sent to my workplace, so I kind I'd have to somehow make arrangements if that's the case.

No BTO options unfortunately at Amazon, only stock configs.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. They will deliver on Saturday. I have Amazon Prime and when the new Macbook Pros came out on Feb.24, Amazon had them in stock the next day. I placed my order on Feb. 25 and paid $3.99 for next day delivery and had my Macbook in hand by mid-day Saturday Feb. 26.

As you mentioned, Amazon only carries the stock config. though.

12. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Good to know, thanks.

I wish Amazon would hurry up and get some stock in, this wait is killing me. They had stock the next day with the MBP, so I'm not sure what the hold up is here. I'm holding out hope I can perhaps still have it for the weekend, but it's not looking so hot. If it ships tomorrow, I probably won't have a choice but to wait until Monday, unless I can make arrangements with the shipper to pick it up (which I've done before with both FedEX and UPS).

I have no patience. :p

13. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Don't feel bad. Neither do I. In this case though, I'm going to wait for Amazon. By not buying through Apple or Best Buy, it's easier to purchase the upper end iMac since I'm not paying sales tax.

14. CHSeifert, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Sorry but why buy on amazon instead of apple.com ?

15. pcguru83, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Exactly. That's pretty much right where I'm coming from.
    As Chris mentioned, the biggest reason is no sales tax (which saves about $170). In addition, I have $100 in gift cards/promotional credits from Amazon. Plus I get overnight shipping for $4.

So all those put together = I get to practice my patience. ;)

16. silentbob007 macrumors regular

Tempting to go the Amazon route ... prime shipping, no tax, 3x points with their card.

However, through Apple I can get an educational discount (with maybe an iPod I don't need in a few weeks), choose the trackpad instead of the mouse, and get a rebated printer. Decisions decisions decisions .....

17. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

FYI - It seems to be in stock now on Amazon but requires an extra 1 - 2 days for processing. Looks like us Prime members hoping to get it overnight before the weekend will have to wait.

Also, Amazon still lists the price as $1,194, not $1,129 (or $1,139) like the previous model.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

FWIW I've ordered stuff req extra days for proc. but it shipped same day anyway (Yes, I'm prime).

As for price, Amazon usually doesn't discount until it physically has stock. Sounds like someone is drop shipping for them until that happens. Give it a week and all the resellers have stock. I bet the price will drop $50-100.

19. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Just ordered a base 21.5" from Amazon with overnight $3.99 shipping. We'll see if it ends up requiring the extra days processing. I might keep the prime membership, im getting my money's worth on this purchase big time.

20. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

21. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ug! Amazon is now showing all of them in stock except for the one I ordered. Wouldn't you know it. LOL

I'm still holding out.

22. yustas macrumors regular

Has Amazon offered in the past the top of the line version (in this case 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7) with a 2TB Serial ATA Drive, or do they only sell default configurations?

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have only ever seen them offer the default config of any Apple hardware.

24. yustas macrumors regular

If you buy from Apple and select Epson Stylus NX420 All-in-One Printer, it is free after the rebate, right? Also, the Back to School thingy should start at the end of the month. Do you get a free iPod and a student discount, or do you have to choose between a student discount of a free iPod?