Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crispswish

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
More like the perpetuation of inconvenience and frustration on the side of the consumer.

Sure, to inconvenient consumers and caused them to be frustrated and give up, then shell out extra money for Apple’s wireless and fast chargers.

The same was done for the removal of headphone jacks to encourage the sale of wireless headphones.

Last edited:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
I would surely welcome USB-C on the new iPhone - as someone said; one cable to rule them all ... but I think I'm in the minority when I say that the lightning connector just stays in place better. When I plug in the lightning 18W brick the cable just clicks, I can still use it without the worry of it being unplugged. I don't have a USB-C iPad to compare it to, but again with my lightning cable on the iPad it's no problem. Traveling with the lightning cable is easier too especially on planes - no need to worry you'll unplug it accidently. MacBook Pro, and gfs MacBook Air with a USB-C on the other hand the cable(s) don't seem as secure. Sometimes bumping into the cable, or just moving it unplugs it. We have plenty of original USB-C cables purchased from Apple and they all have the same "issue" ... it even happened at the Apple store when I brought it in for service using their cable ... could be just us? or?
I agree the USB-C on my iPad felt quite wobbly compared to the Lightning on my iPhone. USB-C doesn’t have the notches which lock it in place like the Lightning cable. That being said its not too loose that causes it to loose connection so not that bad.

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Yeah remove the adapter for sure, but keep a USB-A cable in the box or put an adapter so that the USB-C cable can be used with the multitude of USB-A ports most households have access to. Then when more people have access to USB-C ports like they do with USB-A ports then change the connector. They did this when they removed the headphone port they gave a little dongle so that people could still use their existing headphones, and when wireless headphones became more mainstream and cheaper to buy they ditched the dongle. They may do that again by including a USB-A Male - USB-C female in the box so you can stick that on the new cable to work with older chargers but I doubt it.

Right now removing the adapter and changing the default charger connector stinks of greed And an attempt to get you to buy overpriced Apple cables and chargers when you have just dropped a huge amount on the phone.
Agreed. If "Change has to start somewhere" then they should spend at least two years flooding the market with USB-C adapters and THEN take them out. That's the change that should begin.

Reactions: Stuey3D

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Removing any official yet required accessories (chargers, cables) will only prompt users to get the cheapest option available. This can mean cheap and unsafe chargers and cables. Will Apple be ready for the support issues? Will they be willing to provide warranty if the iPhone is charged with a non-Apple charger?

As for braided cables, there are plenty of cheap braided lightning cables from China.

I suspect Apple will sell the new power adapter at a really cheap price.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
More like the perpetuation of inconvenience and frustration on the side of the consumer.

Yes, because getting the right charging brick is apparently a massive logistical and mathematical undertaking that would make Einstein quiver.

You get one (either usb c or wireless charger, assuming users didn’t already have one), and move on with your lives already.

This reminds me of the hyperbole floating around about how criminals would go about cutting the fingers of iPhone users off when Touch ID was first announced.

Somehow, when android does it, it’s not an issue, yet Apple wants implement something, the sky will fall.

Seriously.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Sure, to inconvenient consumers and caused them to be frustrated and give up, then shell out extra money for Apple’s wireless and fast chargers.

The same was done for the removal of headphone jacks to encourage the sale of wireless headphones.
This is worse.

At least when Apple removed the headphone jack, they still bundled a lightning earbud, and originally even with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter. In the end, nothing really changed for the user experience since they had everything they need in the box.
[automerge]1595562591[/automerge]
Yes, because getting the right charging brick is apparently a massive logistical and mathematical undertaking that would make Einstein quiver.

You get one (either usb c or wireless charger, assuming users didn’t already have one), and move on with your lives already.

This reminds me of the hyperbole floating around about how criminals would go about cutting the fingers of iPhone users off when Touch ID was first announced.

Somehow, when android does it, it’s not an issue, yet Apple wants implement something, the sky will fall.

Seriously.
Even $100 Redmi phones come with a power adapter and cable. That's the thing. Consumers will see how a $100 phone comes with a charger, yet a $1000 phone does not.

Consider this. There are plethora of dangerous chargers out there faking the looks and packaging of Apple official chargers. It actually can be dangerous if Apple is nudging customers to get 3rd party chargers.

Last edited:

SubduedTiger

Cancelled
Mar 30, 2019
San Francisco
They look really nice. Some of the stuff coming out of Native Union (like the qi pad) is pretty legit as well. I think they've still got Apple beat in the aesthetic department, but it's good to see  putting some additional effort into their cables.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Even $100 Redmi phones come with a power adapter and cable. That's the thing. Consumers will see how a $100 phone comes with a charger, yet a $1000 phone does not.

And they will be okay with it. Especially if many already have charging bricks from previous phones.

Consider this. There are plethora of dangerous chargers out there faking the looks and packaging of Apple official chargers. It actually can be dangerous if Apple is nudging customers to get 3rd party chargers.

Or maybe Apple is nudging everyone towards wireless charging.

Still keeping hopes of AirPower alive...

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009

Seriously.
I think you completely misunderstood.

Apple uses USB-C on all their flagship products except for the iPhone. It's a major inconvenience to have to use a different cable on my phone than on my iPad Pro and MacBook.

How is this not easy for you thickheaded people to understand?

Apple used to be about "It just works." Now they're all about "Let's make everything work seamlessly together except for the iPhone." It makes absolutely no freaking sense, and it causes a major disparity across their product lines.

The cables that I use on all my Apple devices should be USB-C on both ends. I shouldn't have to worry or even think about plugging in the freaking cable. That's simplicity. That's "It just works." Having to fish through a sea of cables to find the right one, and then make sure you have the right end of the cable, is absolutely bonkers. It's like I'm living in 2007 where every electronic product uses a different cable.

Get with the times!

Reactions: johnnytravels

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think you completely misunderstood.

Apple uses USB-C on all their flagship products except for the iPhone. It's a major inconvenience to have to use a different cable on my phone than on my iPad Pro and MacBook.

How is this not easy for you thickheaded people to understand?

Apple used to be about "It just works." Now they're all about "Let's make everything work seamlessly together except for the iPhone." It makes absolutely no freaking sense, and it causes a major disparity across their product lines.

The cables that I use on all my Apple devices should be USB-C on both ends. I shouldn't have to worry or even think about plugging in the freaking cable. That's simplicity. That's "It just works." Having to fish through a sea of cables to find the right one, and then make sure you have the right end of the cable, is absolutely bonkers. It's like I'm living in 2007 where every electronic product uses a different cable.

Get with the times!

I get how it can be annoying to have to bring about both a usb-c and lightning cable, when you could be charging everything with a single cable.

With Apple, I find that the takeaway often ends up being related more to how Apple is setting the stage for the future. Certain announcements and features make much more sense when thinking about what Apple will likely unveil in the following years.

The longer Apple drags this out, the more convinced I am that Apple plans to eventually drop the charging port altogether, which would explain why they have not switched to USB-C. It’s just less painful to go from lightning->no port, than from lightning->USB-C->no port.

As with the removal of the headphone jack, I just find that too much energy is spent moaning over what was lost, and not enough attention being paid to what will succeed it.

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
At least when Apple removed the headphone jack, they still bundled a lightning earbud, and originally even with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter. In the end, nothing really changed for the user experience since they had everything they need in the box.

When I bought my first 800something MHz Powerbook 12 in the early 2000s, Apple had opted for a smaller non-standard display connector to reduce the thickness of the device while still being able to fit everything in. Guess what came in the box? Two dongles, one for TV one for VGA. Apple apparently did not want users to suffer from their design decisions, even though it benefitted them ultimately, because of the smaller form factor.
Everything Apple has done since in terms of proprietary and semi-proprietary ports is just various shades of nickel-and-diming their customers

With Apple, I find that the takeaway often ends up being related more to how Apple is setting the stage for the future. Certain announcements and features make much more sense when thinking about what Apple will likely unveil in the following years.

The longer Apple drags this out, the more convinced I am that Apple plans to eventually drop the charging port altogether, which would explain why they have not switched to USB-C. It’s just less painful to go from lightning->no port, than from lightning->USB-C->no port.

Here’s my take, in part based on what I said above: They are still selling the iPhone with lightning (as well as the basic iPads) because it’s their no1 seller in terms of quantity. Given that they exert an extreme amount of control of the port and make royalty money from proprietary connector, it makes sense to keep it from a purely fiscal pov.

Also: Ditching the headphone jack on the iPhone has made them 10s of millions of accessory sales that previously were completely unnecessary while not making the life of anyone substantially easier, all the whole generating tons of ewaste through easily breaking adapters and wireless solutions with non-serviceable batteries.

I really want to believe, guys, I do, but there’s nothing left to believe in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.