New info about Verizon iPhone Pre-order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwiggs23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jwiggs23, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

jwiggs23 macrumors member

Alright I saw this on the Verizon forums and thought some people here might be interested in this.

Many of you might already know this, but i will share for those of you who dont.

After talking to 3 different genius agents at 3 different apple stores in my area, this is news to me:

On Feb 3rd at 12:01 am, you CAN pre order the phone at BOTH verizonwireless.com AND apple.com

On Feb 10th All locations will be "FULLY STOCKED" of iphone 4's. She did say she will have a lot, but depending on the hype, it may sell out that day or the day before IN STORES. meaning it wont sell out in two hours but you might have to call verizon or call apple to order the phone and have it shipped.

This is good news in case you encounter site slow downs on here. Apples site might be more suited to handle the high traffic compared to this site.

This makes me very happy, as there was doubt if you would be able to pre-order from Apple.com on February 3rd as welll.

2. m.a.c.b.o.y macrumors member

Awesome news! Thats for confirming all of that for us. I'll be waiting and at 12:01 i'll be right there to order mine!

3. geech55 macrumors newbie

I will add that I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep who confirmed what I was told in-store:

Verizon customers can pre-order the phone online. It will then SHIP on the 10th. There is no pick-up option for the pre-order. As of this time, they know of no option that will put an iPhone in your hands prior to the 10th.

All the pre-order does is guarantee that you will get one first wave.

4. kardiackeith macrumors member

So the only way to guarantee you get it on the tenth is to wait in line.

5. Rodvette macrumors regular

hmm that contradicts what the verizon rep I spoke with told me. She informed that as a current vz customer on the 3rd I would get it within a couple of days (overnight shipping) and not have to wait till the 10th with the rest of the mob

6. Jcloud8 macrumors member

Im sure verizon will officially let us know something 1 week before release as stated on there website. I dont want to base everything off "this rep said this" "and this rep said that". Verizon will let us know in time, i feel tho as an extra bonus, those who pre order should get their device the day before or at least the day of release GUARANTEED. but we shall se

7. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

No, the only way to guarantee you get it on the tenth is to be at the front of the line. :)

That being said, I know that I personally would just get in on the pre-order and be happy getting mine on the 13th or 14th or whatever. When I got my iPhone 4 back w/ the AT&T release, I waited until a couple of days into the pre-order period to order mine, and I couldn't get a hold of one for a month.

8. dizmonk macrumors regular

If this is accurate it's the first I've heard that we would be able to order on Apple's website. Since I'm sitting on a $100 Apple Gift card I really hope this is correct????

Anybody got any other verification on that???

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I can give a real-life example of VZW preordering.

The Droid Incredible became available for preordering the morning of April 19th at midnight, for delivery on April 29th, ten days later, the same day it went on sale at stores.

Btw, at the time the idea was that you could preorder anywhere from April 19 until April 28th at 4pm, and get it on April 29th.

However, as with many popular smarphones, the Incredible inventory sold out online within days, and people after that had to wait for weeks for delivery.

Word to the wise: Order the first day. Don't wait for several days to go by.

10. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

^^ Good info Ken.

It will be interesting to see if it sells out pre-order.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Going from AT&T release of the i4 last year some received their i4s either a couple of days before release date and most received the day before the release. I received mine the day before the release.

12. Stinkypalm macrumors member

13. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

For you folks who spoke to VZW or Apple employees did they happen to mention the actual full retail price? I've seen reports of $599/$699 which are listed on Apple.com. And I've seen $649/$749 which was quoted buy a "rep" on VZW site.

Also if we are allowed to pre-order on 2/3/11 at 12:01 AM that would be EST? Does this mean for those of us in P.S.T. that we can in fact order at 9:01 PM on 2/2/11?

14. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I had a Verizon rep tell me today, via e-mail, that they have not announced what the retail price will be without a new contract. They also said there is no information about a possible one-year contract with the iPhone 4, if anyone is wondering.

15. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Pretty sure it'll be $599/$699 as you can go to Apple.com and plug in your info if you're an existing VZW customer and it'll give you those full retail prices and the upgrade eligible prices as well. I think the "rep" on VZW forums was including "tax". Just wanted to see if anyone had found out anything different. Like maybe Verizon was considering giving us loyal customers who waited for so long, then gave up hope and picked up something else a little price break. HA! Fat chance.

16. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I know Apple is normally on PST time.

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

That will put you in the "lucky few who got it first". Honestly everyone crys when they show up late and the fat kid eats the last piece of cake...

18. kardiackeith macrumors member

$650/$750

Read the FAQ on the Verizon website.

19. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

I see that now. WTF? Why is Apple stating $599/$699 then? That extra $50 is utter BS and basically is what the price with sales tax SHOULD BE. Now I'm getting upset.

20. Jcloud8 macrumors member

If your upset dont buy it, its Business. People are still going to buy it regardless of the 50 dollar price difference so IMO its a good move business wise.

21. whiteyanderson, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

It's a good move for who? Verizon? To charge $50 than Apple is quoting on their site? Or for a company that is hoping to bring in more customers while pushing the existing customers to a company where they can get it for a little less off contract or way less if they switch and start a 2 year agreement? One step forward and 2 back if you ask me. You realize that for the extra $50, that is probably a 50/50 split on who gets upset don't you? A possible tipping point?

So how exactly is it good business? I thought the point was to bring in customers AND retain the existing. Seems to me that they are milking the existing customers who are upgrade ineligible who were willing to pay retail on the phone in the first place. Nickle and diming BS is what it is.

22. Jcloud8 macrumors member

Like i said, regardless on how you feel i bet millions of people are still going to buy it which means more profit for apple/verizon.

MAXIMIZING PROFITS = GOOD BUSINESS MOVE if the consumers are willing to pay it (which they will)

sorry man, that is how business here in america works..profits...profits...profits.

And as a sidenote...IMO me spending 600 vs 650 isnt that significant. 50 dollars is nothing nowadays in the electronic industry.

23. black743 macrumors 6502

Now the only unannounced tidbit is data costs. I hope they don't think that people want this phone SO bad that they will pay a crazy amount for data....let's hope.

24. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

One would think they'd charge the same as AT&T. Considering at least an AT&T iPhone can be unlocked I just can't believe it. Like the other guy said, it's utter BS. Pathetic. Crappy customer service and their shady practices are not worth it.

25. Jcloud8 macrumors member

I dont understand what is so shady about it? plus who is to say that their wasnt other cost incurred in the development of a CDMA iphone, which is why the price is a little higher...