New Intel NUC from CES....

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sdjcl, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sdjcl macrumors newbie

Saw the new Haswell based NUC from Intel. Wonder if a new Mini will be similar.

I'm sick of my current desktop, can't wait for the new MM.

2. eutexian macrumors regular

personally - I hope not.

[​IMG]

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I wonder if you can hackintosh the new NUC....I'd love to mount one inside my empty G4 Cube case.

4. Crosscreek, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

5. wetcanvas macrumors regular

The intel NUC looks impressive. You could build a NUC haswell system similar to the mini for the same cost of the current duel core mini. You wouldnt have osx though.

I havent seen any quad cores for haswell for these intel NUCs. At least none that are available right now at newegg.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

All the NUCs use a micro sata SSD, very expensive and currently limited storage. Also the power brick is external, the Mac Mini has internal power and room for two 2.5" drives. Proper cooling too.

7. Schnort macrumors regular

mSATA is only slightly more expensive than the equivalent SSD drive, and some NUCs can take a 2.5" drive.

An external power brick isn't a bad thing (it keeps the power/heat dissipation out of the chassis)

And I think that Intel is likely doing "proper cooling", since they're the folks that specify it.

8. iydkmigthtky macrumors newbie

iydkmigthtky

the NUC is quite awesome, but somehow crippled due to U-processors... the brix pro seems to be a lot more capable, but still not available...

9. Schnort macrumors regular

crippled is a strong word since those are the same processors the macbook air and pro use.

10. philipma1957, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

it is a POS it you want something with some testicles get the new gigabyte brix.

it is the first small form piece of gear that is a bit better then the 2012 mac quad core.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7648/gigabyte-brix-pro

still has issues
    1 loud fan
    2 not cheap
    3 only 1 msata
    4 you need to add the ram
    5 you need an os

200 msata
    100 2sticks of 4gb ram
    100 windows 7 home

better cpu better graphics then a mac mini quad 2012
    lesser storage as the mini can use 2x 1tb ssds
    or a 1 tb ssd with a 1.5tb hdd to make a 2.5tb fusion

http://ark.intel.com/products/76642/Intel-Core-i7-4770R-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

but this cpu is the real deal. I still prefer the 2012 quad but this is better for some. I wonder if apple will finally feel compiled to upgrade the mini as the gigabyte is a clear cut winner in some tests over the 2012 quad mini

11. iydkmigthtky macrumors newbie

iydkmigthtky

it may be a tad too strong, indeed. however... only macbook air. the pros are equipped with a different, more powerful i5-U or i7-HQ.

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

13. Schnort macrumors regular

It actually has a 2.5" drive bay, and it is more than competitive price-wise with the similarly specced i7 mac mini. (I come up with about $1200 for a i7 maxed out with SSD)

I think it's a clear winner in all benchmarks vs. the 2012 quad mini.

14. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

i think it is noisier and less storage then the mini. but it beats the mini in all other specs. I have been popping off that the 2012 quad mini is the best small form factor pc in the world for more then a year. the g brix changes that.

may mean the new mini is coming

15. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

First, the Intel NUC model has been out for a long time now. Not new for CES. So, Intel, NOT IMPRESSED.

Second, the Brix "Pro" or whatwver they are calling it this week, has been previously announced in a slightly different package for over 4 months now, with not a one ever have been seen for sale. I suspect because it is a LOUD POS.

It is just plain stupidity to make a loud computer of this size.

So close, and yet so far.

Bring on the updated mini please, and bring it NOW! Apple has the resources to update this puppy. NO EXCUSES. They have tens of billions of $$$ just sitting around doing zip.