New iOS broke my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lugesm, Nov 23, 2010.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

After downloading and installing the new OS for my iPad I found that the slide switch that used to lock the display no longer works.:mad:

When I move the slide switch the white icon that comes up on the display is for the sound system.

Anyone else have this problem ?

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

That is normal. It is now a mute switch only. There is plenty of outrage over this switch. The orientation lock is now only available when you swipe right on the multitasking bar.

3. Nickb macrumors regular

Thats a feature that Apple has changed with this update - instead of orientation lock, its now mute like on the iPhone handsets - dont worry

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Got it !

Thanks for your comments. I understand now, but I can't say that I am happy about this change. Oh, well.

You can make some of the users happy all of the time, and all of the users happy some of the time; but you can't make all of the users happy all of the time. ;)

5. stix macrumors member

Well that's the dumb part. You could make everyone happy just by making it configurable :rolleyes:

6. Rootus macrumors 6502

Not true. Someone would bitch because they had to go find the setting. Someone else would bitch because the extra options made the settings pages more complex.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Very true - if I've learned one thing from my 4 1/2 years of membership on MacRumors it's that no matter what Apple do there will be people bitching and moaning about it within hours, and an equal number of people defending what Apple did as the only "true way" :D

8. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Hell of a lot better than mindlessly changing it because somebody at Apple thought it was a good idea.

It's just not possible to justify this decision. It's just dumb, plain and simple.

9. BrennerM macrumors regular

+1

It is so dumb to not make it configurable, it would only take a single switch in settings. They could default it to the mute setting when you install 4.2, I wouldn't care as long as I could change it.

10. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Not sure why you think that is :confused:

To lock the screen you will by default be looking at it so a simple swipe on the home page and one tap allows you to lock the orientation ;) Of course if your listening to music and you do not want to be interrupted by notifications then because the screen is likely locked then using the button to mute makes sense. I feel pretty much the same regarding user choice, where would you stop, how about the volume button, or the home button should those be user configurable as well?

I must admit I only used the orientation lock button once to see it work and I have used the mute button a number of times since its new implementation.

11. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It's a horrible decision because muting was never difficult to begin with, and now changing orientation means double clicking the home button, swiping, tapping on a button, then tapping on the screen to go back. It makes more sense that the switch be an orientation lock, especially when the mute button doesn't even actually mute a lot of things.

Some weird people want it to be a mute function? Fine. Make it adjustable then. 99% of people though will tell you that they'll prefer orientation lock.

Apple has quite a history with pulling crap like this: changing things for the worse because of some dumb reason.

12. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I'm the opposite, I've only used the mute function once to check if it worked and that's it, since the first beta introduced this change. I will also probably never use it again too. But I lock the orientation a couple of times a day.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

I like the new config a lot more. When entering a meeting or a movie theater or wherever I need to turn the sound off - I can simply flip the switch without having to unlock the iPad first. Everyone has their pref... but yes, a setting should be provided.

14. infosprt macrumors regular

OK I still don't know hpw to lock the orientation. I tried swiping across the bottom of the screen.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not always. One of the times I use the orientation lock is when I'm handing off the iPad to someone else. I don't always remember to lock orientation before handing it over, in which case it's extremely convenient to be able to just reach out and flick a switch. It also doesn't break the flow if I can just flick the switch.

"Oh, here, let me show you --" flick switch, hand over.

But with the new software button, it becomes, "Oh, here, let me show you --" double tap, fidddle fiddle. An awkward pause where your attention has to shift to the iPad screen while you lock orientation and the other party wonders what the heck you are doing.

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

It's simple -

1) double click the home button to bring up the multitasking menu
    2) swipe said menu to the right so as to bring you to the quick settings menu
    3) tap on the orientation lock icon
    4) tap on screen or click home to exit the multitasking bar.

So much easier than flipping one switch ;)

17. spiralynth macrumors regular

Just swiping across the bottom won't work. First, you have to kiss it; then you swipe.

18. infosprt macrumors regular

Thank You.

19. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

I don't get it, why would handing it to someone need an orientation lock? "Let me show you" hand it to them... Seems simple to me.

Chef Jay

20. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Yea seriously, I always used the lock switch. I think there should be an option in the setting to be able to choose that to be either a mute switch OR a portrait lock switch.

21. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Before, if you were watching a movie, you could be interrupted by various system sounds, like an email notification. The volume button was the only, master.

Now, you can use the volume button to control the movie sound, and use the mute button to silence the system sounds. We needed a way to separate the two.

Same with music. Don't be surprised if we see that on future macs, and iPhones.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have you ever actually done it yourself? Nine out of ten, as the iPad shifts from hand to hand, the screen starts spinning unless it is locked.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The mute button mutes notifications. It's meant for when you're watching a video or listening to music so you won't have sounds playing over it. Also if you go to a meeting or classes or something it's useful to have a quick way to mute notifications.

Just because you don't see the use doesn't mean people are weird for liking it.

That's actually how it works on the iPhone too, except it also mutes the ring and SMS sounds.

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, because again and again Apple fail to give the users one simple thing:

"Choice"

And that would solve so many of the issues people have with Apple.

And I don't know any other company that is so controlling and refuses to give users choice in such silly ways.

You have 1 switch on the side. In settings allow the users to choose what it does. Even if it's only 2 options, you have given them the choice.

It's simple and the problem has gone and everyone is happy.

But no.

25. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I didn't like at first, but now that I think more about it, the switch is hard to reach when using the Apple iPad case, so the new rotation is much more convenient.