New iOS Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rhonindk, May 26, 2018.

1. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

LINK

Project Star? LTE. Touchscreen.
    I don’t know whether to be optimistic or not. o_O
    I know my wallet is concerned.

2. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Very interesting, the ultimate goal of computer manufacturers for a product directed at the masses is the toaster computer, a deviice which requires very little if any system knowledge to use. iOS is closer to this standard than the MacOS, which is closer than Windows. What I like in both the MacOS and Windows is the desktop and file system, which I don’t see the same functionality in iOS. My guess it could be incorporated.

3. ipponrg macrumors 65816

If it can run Plex and support 1080P/4K transcoding, then sounds like we've found a replacement for the Mac Mini. I'm probably dreaming though.

4. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Watch and wait I suppose. I would just like a solid replacement for my current iMac with stable software that will not cost the equivalent of a semester at uni. If it’s a phone, not interested.

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

$400, maybe $500 is my limit for a phone. I’ve got an iPhone 5 that does everything I need from my phone. At the time, I bought 2 phones for about $700 total if I remember correctly. That was when the discounted price was tied to a contract. Phone companies got smart about contracts and have mostly discarded them so they can charge you full price, or very infrequently 241 sale, without having to add a new line of service.

6. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I hear you, next iPhone will not be the bells and whistles variety. The last iPhone I was productive on was a 5. Right now, I will use the 7+ for as long as I can. Get my money’s worth, so that is why I am not interested in a phone right now.

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

New iPod, IMO. It'll be something to rejuvenate the sector. Seems like a stupid theory, but if you think about it, there's always a large mass of Apple fans that will buy into it. And it's not necessarily a bad thing. I can imagine them using a TLC NAND with their own controller or one designed for them to their spec.

8. samiwas macrumors 68000

what am I missing here. Touchscreen, LTE, iOS...sounds like.....an iPad.

9. Rhonindk, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

From the article:
    And latest news item from MR - LINK

10. samiwas macrumors 68000

Yeah...none of that really tells me anything. Is it a mac, or is it running iOS? I've seen both mentioned. If it's a touchscreen mac running some form of MacOS, I am very interested. If it's just another iOS product, I'm not.

11. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Yeah ... a lot of supposition. Best I can garner at the moment is a future "Touchscreen Mac" that runs a hybrid MacOS that works more like iOS or iOS with some MacOS stuff added .... I think o_O

12. Tech198 macrumors G5

I guess everyone has to have a hobby... Apple is reversing its decision on Touchscreen Mac's? For that to work and LTE built-in, you'd have to toss out allot of other facts..

I can see Mac's running ARM chips at some stage across the board
    I cannot see then equipped with SIM slots and/or LTE. as people keep trying to suggest

The reason is Apple gives you an easy way to hook up your phone via Bluetooth, if you don't want to use cable..

Plus, with a SIM card reader, no one would like to take out their SIM card or have another "data only plan", where USB dongles from mobile vendors-are available that do exactly that anyway.

Fact is, there would be little need for SIM cards on Mac, as you already have dongles available anyway.

13. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Unless they look to turn it into something similar to a Windows hybrid type device. Then dongles are not your friend.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

People want a new Mac Pro. Not another pad. Yeesh.

15. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I still contend quite a few people don't need a full, unrestricted access to the file system (MacOS and iOS use the same file system, it's about how it's exposed to the user). There's a level of abstraction that would still provide the flexibility of how [I'd imagine] most people manage their user files.

Part of it isn't so much the file/folder model, it's more how files are sandboxed.

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

I find it amazing how so many Mac users believe Windows users fiddle with the registry. I think the last time I absolutely had to fiddle with the register was on Windows 2000, in 2001, and that's because an automated file wouldn't execute properly.

Though I will admit installed and uninstalling software on a Mac is simpler. Sometimes I wonder (in relation to the Mac Pro and MBP issues) if it'll be more profitable for Apple to allow OEMs to authorize their OS on certain devices. There's a range of issues to fix before that was even possible, though.

17. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Not buying the touchscreen/LTE/SIM-slot Mac story. But do believe their (9to5mac) other story re: ARM Macbook. Would fill the hole of lack of a cheap laptop. And could see Mac Mini going ARM as well. Would help keep costs down.

ARM in cheap models, Intel in the Pro line. Cleanup the bit of confusion/mess that is the current laptop line of devices.

Both running pure MacOS: Apple has over the years stated that they do have MacOS running on non-Intel processors in the lab.

Most people are not Bootcamping, running VMs, so, Intel compatibility is probably not going to be a show stopper for many. Apple can possibly do Intel emulation ala Windows 10 on ARM (they are only doing 32-bit support programs/apps, if I recall correctly).

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

My impression is that the Windoews registry seems to be more trouble prone. Now maybe I don’t need it, but I have a utility that cleans and optimizes the registry on a semi regular basis. In the past, I’ve had to enter the registry to correct issues, but not since Windows 10, but I still run those utilities.

19. Zenithal, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

Those haven't been needed since the XP days. In most cases, they do nothing and can sometimes contribute to developing problems on their own. Windows slowdown is a relic of the past when it comes to SSDs, but the general gist of it was an oversized config file hidden deep inside a user folder. It's why making a new user account brought back the snappiness of a new install.

Speeds will continue to increase. If SATA IV ever materializes, it'll offer more throughput than SATA III. At the moment, PCI-E NVME keeps dropping in price as more companies get into the game. It'll become the gold standard for a boot drive, with SSDs in SATA III or IV taking a secondary drive spot, with a mechanical as large storage. For the time being and possibly the next 5-10 years, we won't see mechanical drives go away. For large, conventional storage, they're awfully useful. A 12-16 TB enterprise grade drive costs very little compared to a 4-6 TB MLC or TLC SSD or PCI-E NVME "drive."